Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do you bike like you drive?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Do you bike like you drive?

Old 01-12-19, 05:55 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
People have been killed by cyclists. A few years ago in Philly...

BTW...IBTM to A&S, where there is already a thread about this.
So few people that it stands out on the rare occation that it happens. The same could be said about practically anything. Rain coats probably kill more people than cyclists running stop sings. And I’d guess the people responsible for those deaths are the same jackasses that most of us dislike, who make the rest of us look bad to the general public. ...what is IBTM and A&S?
Old 01-12-19, 07:40 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed

So few people that it stands out on the rare occation that it happens. The same could be said about practically anything. Rain coats probably kill more people than cyclists running stop sings. And I’d guess the people responsible for those deaths are the same jackasses that most of us dislike, who make the rest of us look bad to the general public. ...what is IBTM and A&S?
In Before The Move

Advocacy and Safety sub forum

He thinks it will be moved because the topic isn't unique to touring. It's a better fit for the Advocacy and Safety forum.
Old 01-13-19, 03:28 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
This thread will probably be moved or closed before the next time I log in here, but I also adopt the pragmatist approach on my bike (I don't own a car). If I'm in a place like Japan where there is a high compliance with the traffic law generally, I'll be compliant. If I"m somewhere like Australia where compliance is low, I'm a lot less likely to be compliant.

There was a time when I tried to be the "better person" and comply in places where people didn't. I ended up in hospital with three broken bones and the nurses having to tell me how I go there. I reverted to the religion of pragmatism soon after.

That is all.