Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

putting my wrench down

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

putting my wrench down

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-06, 09:17 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
putting my wrench down

I've spent at least as much time working on my bikes as riding them in the last 2 months. They are nearing perfection.

My old 1980's Specialized MTB is reborn as a single speed commuter. It has new black paint, fenders, and a rear rack. I put some Nitto North Road bars on it this weekend. Very classical. I even found some "bullet" grips for it in the bargain bin at the LBS. It's only problem is a wobbly front wheel. But it is working fine.

My second bike is a 1990's Rocky Mountain Hammer Race. I removed the front deraileur and replaced the too narrow flat handlebars with a Surly Torsion Bar and some Oury grips found in the bargain bin at the LBS. The race ready low and long stem was replaced with a more comfortable one. Today, I put a 36 tooth Surly steel chainweel on the crank. It's done. Perfect. I'm going to go out to the garage and look at it some more.

I'm going to take a break. This spring I will replace the front wheel of the Specialized with a drum brake hub'ed wheel. Then my armada will be complete.
Old 01-29-06, 09:46 PM
chuckfox
'possum killer

Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Looks like you are building a seriously unique stable of bikes. As you saw from my Cross-Check post, I'm definitely into the more unique and comfortable commuter. However, I also have a great affection for a fixie that I commute on as well...I'll be interested to hear what you think about the Nitto North Road bars after you've had a chance to ride on them for a while. They seem to be making a bit of a comeback.

BTW...the Root River Trail is one of the best trails I've ridden, is it in your neck of the Northwoods?
Old 01-30-06, 09:14 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can be on that trail in about a half hour. You're right. It's a great trail. Lanesboro is my favorite little town in the whole world. Don't miss lunch at the Das Wurst Haus. Take in a play in the evening at the Commonweal Theatre.

https://www.lanesboro.com/

They used to have a good bike shop called "The General Store" until the Police Chief burned it down a few years ago.

https://news.minnesota.publicradio.or...l_lanesboro-m/

I rented that 4 wheeled buggy pictured in that article once. That was a blast riding on the bike trail.
Old 01-30-06, 10:19 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by squeakywheel
Then my armada will be complete.
I'm going to hazard a guess that this line is incorrect.
Old 02-08-06, 06:55 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckfox
I'll be interested to hear what you think about the Nitto North Road bars after you've had a chance to ride on them for a while. They seem to be making a bit of a comeback.
I'm happy with the North Road bars. They are good for a relaxed pace commute. For moderate climbs, they are pretty nice. For the steep hill on my route, I liked the Surly Torsion bars better. Climbing with the North Roads is good if you are maintaining a good pace. If I slow down and mash up the big hill, the North Road bars seem to close to me. I think if I raised the stem and turned them upside down, I could get a good hand position in front of my brake levers. I'm not going to do that, though. Not really worth it and I'm satisfied overall with the bars as they are. They encourage me to pedal faster on the big hill.