Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

V-brakes vs. Cantilevers

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

V-brakes vs. Cantilevers

Old 04-01-19, 07:58 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
It's time to not stop.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ferrouscious; 04-25-19 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 06:07 PM
mxims

Bikes: '69 Schwinn Racer, '72 Frejus, '86 StumpJumper, '87 Fat Chance, '93 Specialized Epic, '19 Tarmac SL4, few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some time ago I've bookmarked this thread. Glad to see it's still going strong! I'm posting this 3 days past its birthday, which is actually a few months before mine. This is awesome.
Old 04-16-19, 10:28 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
If this thread were a person it would have graduated high school last year.
Old 04-21-19, 06:53 PM
hagenandeggs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still relevant info!
Old 05-26-20, 05:08 PM
OldZephyr

Bikes: 1985 Trek 720, 2010 CAAD9-6, mid-90s Trek 750 hybrid (winter bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I want to be a small part of this long running thread -- its 20th birthday was last month.

Now on to the topic "at hand". Last year, our son replaced the Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes on his (older) Surly Long Haul Trucker with V brakes. He says the V brakes are far easier to adjust and work better than the stock Tektros. So there's that.

On the other hand . . . maybe cantis aren't that hard to adjust. Yes, for years, I had heard that adjusting cantilever brakes was difficult, so I avoided the job. Recently, the cantilever brakes on my old Trek 720 were squealing (they weren't toed in enough), and I was going to bring the bike in for adjustment, until my son pointed me to this Park Tool video (described by one commenter as the "Citizen Kane of cantilever smooth post videos"):

After watching the video, I was able to fix the toe-in problem with my cantis! Thanks, Park Tool! Maybe it's just a question of good instruction.

Maybe somebody else can celebrate this thread's 21st birthday next April.
Likes For OldZephyr:
Old 05-26-20, 06:54 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by OldZephyr
I want to be a small part of this long running thread -- its 20th birthday was last month.

Now on to the topic "at hand". Last year, our son replaced the Tektro Oryx cantilever brakes on his (older) Surly Long Haul Trucker with V brakes. He says the V brakes are far easier to adjust and work better than the stock Tektros. So there's that.

On the other hand . . . maybe cantis aren't that hard to adjust. Yes, for years, I had heard that adjusting cantilever brakes was difficult, so I avoided the job. Recently, the cantilever brakes on my old Trek 720 were squealing (they weren't toed in enough), and I was going to bring the bike in for adjustment, until my son pointed me to this Park Tool video (described by one commenter as the "Citizen Kane of cantilever smooth post videos"): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tDym0G6zo

After watching the video, I was able to fix the toe-in problem with my cantis! Thanks, Park Tool! Maybe it's just a question of good instruction.

Maybe somebody else can celebrate this thread's 21st birthday next April.
Calvin Jones does awesome diy demos.
I switched to mini-v brakes on my touring bike. With 21st century braking tech and power, I just couldn't get used to canti brakes anymore.
Old 05-29-20, 09:15 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Calvin Jones does awesome diy demos.
I switched to mini-v brakes on my touring bike. With 21st century braking tech and power, I just couldn't get used to canti brakes anymore.
Care to share a pic or two of your setup? Curious if, and what, v-brakes can accommodate narrow post width.
Old 05-29-20, 09:17 PM
ctak

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm going to contact Paul. These and the touring Cantilevers look promising.
Guess this is kind of old, but did you ever hear back from Paul re: whether Motolites can replace narrow-post cantis?
Old 05-30-20, 06:04 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
Guess this is kind of old, but did you ever hear back from Paul re: whether Motolites can replace narrow-post cantis?
Sorry, all I can remember about cantilevers on my two vintage bikes that have cantilever brakes is that one needed a new semi custom fork and the other project was never completed. For some reason, older touring and cyclocross bikes had cantilever posts that were installed with very narrow center distances of 55mm. More recent bikes with cantilevers have much wider post centers. I never did find brakesets with the right geometry for older steel bikes. I literally had a fork built with modern post center distances so that I could use a modern cantilever brakeset.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-30-20 at 06:10 AM.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 05-30-20, 08:13 AM
qclabrat

Care to share a pic or two of your setup? Curious if, and what, v-brakes can accommodate narrow post width.
I got these TRP miniVs after reading about them on a bike touring forum somewhere. Too lazy to pull down the bike at the moment, but here's the fork. The pivot positions are pretty spot on. Like I've said plenty of power with these rims. Also remember rim quality also makes a difference. For cheap rime, consider Alex Adventure 2s. They perform nearly as well as my cliffhangers and TK540s for a fraction of cost. I'll snap more this weekend if you need better angles or close ups
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 05-30-20, 02:06 PM
ctak

Originally Posted by qclabrat
I got these TRP miniVs after reading about them on a bike touring forum somewhere. Too lazy to pull down the bike at the moment, but here's the fork. The pivot positions are pretty spot on. Like I've said plenty of power with these rims. Also remember rim quality also makes a difference. For cheap rime, consider Alex Adventure 2s. They perform nearly as well as my cliffhangers and TK540s for a fraction of cost. I'll snap more this weekend if you need better angles or close ups
Thanks, I'd love to know the post width (center to center) measurement for front and rear if you don't mind... My Pro Tour's fork posts are rather narrow at 58mm apart (69 in the rear), as with many 80s touring machines. Might splurge for Motolites
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/cinel...ork-sscx-34291

Last edited by ctak; 05-30-20 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 08:11 PM
qclabrat

Thanks, I'd love to know the post width (center to center) measurement for front and rear if you don't mind... My Pro Tour's fork posts are rather narrow at 58mm apart (69 in the rear), as with many 80s touring machines. Might splurge for Motolites
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/cinel...ork-sscx-34291

They are pretty wide, have even used 48mm tires. Though currently have 42mm Vittorias now. I'll try to measure tomorrow
Likes For qclabrat: