Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 06-11-20, 09:48 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I've only met one Portuguese person out here in California. This kid at my Junior High School would always get in fights because they'd call him white and he'd proclaim he's Portuguese and start punching people. Tough kid, because of him and Ronaldo I don't mess with them. He did look white though. (actually he looked like the Karate Kid).
What a bizarre thing to get angry about, when in fact he is white. The Portuguese ethnicity is essentially a mix of early inhabitants which migrated to the Iberian peninsula, Roman, Celtic, Germanic peoples. I know some people like to assign their ethnicity as some sort of race and sign of cultural purity or something, which I find ridiculous. We're european, maybe less pale and blonde than northern european, but european nonetheless.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 06-11-20, 01:01 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
You all were right. I consulted UK TT forums and have thus bought more ish for the TT bike. Stem, metal stock, and fasteners. Fixing the POS looking splined stem connection thing.

A UK TT legend apparently runs my same bike setup close to the same way and has done this exact thing I'm trying to do. Go figure.

Only $150 total in supplies including the rad stem. I'll be able to sell the plethora of Felt stems I have and probably recoup about $50 of that.
Old 06-11-20, 01:30 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
@burnthesheep can you provide more info about the stem adapter? I ride a Felt DA2 and also have the splined stem. I've been thinking about modernizing/upgrading my bar setup and am unsure of what to try. Any links to forums or relevant discussions would be good.
Old 06-11-20, 02:13 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Pretty much what I'm going to do, but going to use an Aeria Ultimate stem. It is a plate using the three original stem mount holes then a cylinder off of the plate to mount the stem on as usual. I ordered the shortest Aeria stem so I don't gain any reach I can't dial back in the arm pads and extensions.

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-17-20, 09:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I'm must be an ass. I'm sure the forum blocks that word, so.......a ess ess. Ass.
Old 06-17-20, 09:40 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
You can say ass.
Old 06-17-20, 09:57 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Ah, I see. Sweet.

Well, if I am one on the forum I'll go ahead and own it. But forums aren't to be echo chambers and self congratulatory substitutes for one's long abandoned MySpace pages. I guess thinking that makes me an ass.
Old 06-17-20, 10:30 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I have no idea what's going on and I feel like I've accidentally opened my Facebook.
Old 06-17-20, 10:47 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Ah, I see. Sweet.

Well, if I am one on the forum I'll go ahead and own it. But forums aren't to be echo chambers and self congratulatory substitutes for one's long abandoned MySpace pages. I guess thinking that makes me an ass.
What the literal **** are you talking about?
Old 06-17-20, 11:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Hey, if you're excited about posting about your new mods to your TT bike, that's awesome. You didn't kill the thread, it's just a bit slow at the moment.
Old 06-17-20, 11:18 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by gsteinb
What the literal **** are you talking about?
I bothered to post outside of "The 33" and hurt some feelings. Opinions aren't allowed. Asking for data is a sin.
Old 06-17-20, 11:41 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Going through bike withdrawal.

Went from one functional bike to two bikes in pieces.

Waiting for an RD hanger to show up for the main roadie and waiting for a different part to show up for the Trek so I can put the front end together and get these damn things rideable.

Originally Posted by gsteinb
You can say ass.
Full circle.
Old 06-18-20, 11:29 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
No fans, but still exciting to watch for me. Eli Tomac could clinch the championship with a win in the main, but he gets a bad start.
Old 06-18-20, 11:48 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by flatballer
i have no idea what's going on and i feel like i've accidentally opened my facebook.
everything is fake news
something something conspiracy
share if you dare
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 06-19-20, 04:07 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I've been in Surprise, AZ all week enjoying the 100+F heat as junior checks into Luke AFB just east of the VOS TT course.
Junior bought a house in Surprise, AZ (NW of Phoenix) and is a new (guest?) member of Black Widows Fighter Squadron 425 flying the F35 and F22.
Old 06-19-20, 06:12 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Meant to go visit AZ and play some nerd-cards (Magic the Gathering) with me brothers and friends, but with the spike in COVID and the nice weather here I changed plans (camp/river weekend trip with the wife). Our house sale in Arizona is set to close at the end of the month, and we have our focus set on buying a duplex somewhere cheaper (don't know where yet, but west coast is good for structural engineering), try and rent/airbnb and then get a van to accomplish my dream of being a bum on the road except now it's called digital nomad or something lol! So mental space isn't optimal for super consistent training, not to mention I have HORRIBLE allergies this year causing me to sleep 9-10 hours per night.
Old 06-22-20, 07:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Not sure when I'll do a team ride. Things are opening up everywhere and folks are out and about like nothing is going on with the numbers. Still no official racing but team up north of town seems to be doing group rides now. There's spittle and breathing and such.

Ugh. I don't know.

Other thing is I'm short on training time in general. The drive up there eats up a lot of time.

How do you guys handle team rides and very small "vertical disturbances" to the route? Like 15 to 20 feet here and there. Does the leader gently hit it just a touch to yank folks over and not lose speed or do you all kind of yo-yo over them as the leader keeps identical pull power? I've always thought the ride smoother if the leader gives it the beans just a hair for like 20 seconds to pull the group over that stuff since they have the draft. I think some boys in the group just don't want to do that, or can't.

My Z2 solo rides average out Z2, but over that stuff I'll hold Z3,4, or 5 for a few seconds here and there to "smooth out" the ride. I'll also generally go over actual hills in SS power and down them at low Z2 upper Z1. It's only like 2 to 3min of SS. Not going to kill anybody. If I can ride a metric century alone and do that, certainly a group could.
Old 06-22-20, 08:21 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
We've been doing groups rides for weeks. There were six different group rides of 10-40 people just that I saw on Strava on Saturday. Nearly everyone's done with halting their lives for covid around here. The die is cast.

Anyway, I push up the hill a bit harder, as do most. Some too hard, but better than too soft I guess.

But If I were going to do a steady state ride, I wouldn't plan on doing it with a group. Group rides for me are only for going really hard. It's impossible to pedal consistently in a group, so I'd much rather do anything steady (endurance, sweetspot, etc) on my own so I'm not wasting 45 minutes coasting or in Z1.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 06-22-20, 08:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Pretty much.

My recent metric centuries have all been solo. I generally can get away with one every other weekend, sometimes one per weekend if I am allowed to sneak out earlier and not wake folks.

My solo metric centuries are always around AP of 190w and NP of 195 to 210w for right at about 3 hours. Using an honest hour power figure of 275w instead of a super idealistic fake 285w.

Usually about 40 to 60 feet per mile and 19.5 to 20.5 mph. I only stop if I cramp or there is a major intersection. I try to time my feeding for those spots to grab the stuff. Check the route, check my ride time, plan well. I may also use that to take the bottle out of my jersey and swap to my cages. I don't do c-store stops, I carry in jerseys. If necessary freeze the jersey bottle(s). If over 3 hrs I'll do 2 jersey bottles and 2 cage bottles. I've thought about going "nerd" and tossing my spare saddle mount triathlon thingy there so I have the jersey free.

I've got this strong personal belief that those "long for me" Z2/tempo/SS rides need to be as undisturbed as possible at those powers as long as possible to be effective. So, no coffee or sight seeing stops for 15min to 30min at a time. Total ride time within 10min of "moving time". I feel this optimizes the training effect at that group of z1/z2/z3.

Same when I run. I plan my run routes so I don't get the cute little 1min to 2min "crosswalk" stops all the time. If I'm running for 45min I want to not stop for the entire 45min.

Intervals are different, rest between is implied and necessary.

It is hotter here now. I cramped at mile 58 Saturday. I took just 3 of the Camebak Podium bottles. I had bad food a bit back and stomach still wasn't letting me cram enough fluids fast enough to feel "good" on the belly and stay hydrated well. It killed my average speed I had going and my overall AP. That last 5 miles was limping it home. Still hit 20mph overall with hills and stuff. Would have been nearly 21 probably otherwise.

A bottle an hour is no longer enough. I need to probably experiment with phone timers and using that triathlon bottle mount and making myself drink.

I know it is a problem as even when a long ride goes great, I never have to stop to pee. Ever. If hydrated well, I thought over 3hrs riding plus 10min stoppage time you'd need to pee.
Old 06-22-20, 09:23 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts

A bottle an hour is no longer enough. I need to probably experiment with phone timers and using that triathlon bottle mount and making myself drink.

I know it is a problem as even when a long ride goes great, I never have to stop to pee. Ever. If hydrated well, I thought over 3hrs riding plus 10min stoppage time you'd need to pee.
I've been riding solo and when it's hot I take a 70oz Camelbak plus 2 large bottles for a 4 hour ride and still get dehydrated a bit. I plan for a pee stop someplace discreet and I will stop even if I don't feel the need because I don't want to have to look for a bathroom back in town.
I don't like bottles in the jersey and they are annoying even after you empty them. I've used disposable bottles, meh. I tried putting on a handle bar bag and putting 2 bottles in there but prefer the Camelbak.
Old 06-22-20, 09:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I've been riding solo and when it's hot I take a 70oz Camelbak plus 2 large bottles for a 4 hour ride and still get dehydrated a bit. I plan for a pee stop someplace discreet and I will stop even if I don't feel the need because I don't want to have to look for a bathroom back in town.
I don't like bottles in the jersey and they are annoying even after you empty them. I've used disposable bottles, meh. I tried putting on a handle bar bag and putting 2 bottles in there but prefer the Camelbak.
I have a hard time with the camelbak because I get such a sweaty back anyway and that really interferes with the cooling. Maybe there have been new/better designs since I last tried it (probably 10 years ago), or maybe I just got a poorly designed one.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-22-20, 09:34 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I have a hard time with the camelbak because I get such a sweaty back anyway and that really interferes with the cooling. Maybe there have been new/better designs since I last tried it (probably 10 years ago), or maybe I just got a poorly designed one.
I've had this issue too. My Camelback is at least 15 years old. I think newer ones are better than older ones, and they sit off the body, allowing for some airflow between.

How do you guys handle team rides and very small "vertical disturbances" to the route? Like 15 to 20 feet here and there. Does the leader gently hit it just a touch to yank folks over and not lose speed or do you all kind of yo-yo over them as the leader keeps identical pull power? I've always thought the ride smoother if the leader gives it the beans just a hair for like 20 seconds to pull the group over that stuff since they have the draft. I think some boys in the group just don't want to do that, or can't.
It depends. If you're doing a drop/hammer/race-type ride, you push the power up and over the top and down the other side. If it's a steady ride, you keep the effort steady on the uphill. Yes, power might climb a little and speed will drop on the uphill, but not that much. Then you pedal faster on the downhill to keep you effort up.

Last edited by topflightpro; 06-22-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-22-20, 09:52 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
Group rides...We all want our lives back. Personally, I want my life back and I want to be smart about reducing the chances of getting Covid 19. Here is an article from the WSJ, that IMO, does an excellent job of framing what is factually known about how one gets the disease. https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-exa...&page=1&pos=20

Group rides seem hard to handicap.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-22-20, 11:00 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Group rides...We all want our lives back. Personally, I want my life back and I want to be smart about reducing the chances of getting Covid 19. Here is an article from the WSJ, that IMO, does an excellent job of framing what is factually known about how one gets the disease. https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-exa...&page=1&pos=20

Group rides seem hard to handicap.
Even if racing comes back this year -- and I'm not yet sure my big target race will happen -- I'm not sure I will be participating. Yes, I've been training for the past year for this event, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk to my health.
Old 06-22-20, 11:10 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Looks like we might get some racing in TN in the next few weeks. Alabama (~2 hrs) is already doing a weekly crit series. I think Indiana (Whiskey City Crit) is planning a race weekend for July. Wonder if Gateway will happen over Labor Day. That'd be worth buying a license for...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.