Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Specialized - Pedal Fell Off

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Specialized - Pedal Fell Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 07:51 PM
azjpeg

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 4.0, Trek Marlin 5, Gary Fisher Sugar 4+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Interesting to know that crank arms are factory installed - maybe this was just a bad batch, or quality has suffered somewhere. Still waiting to hear back from the bike shop on status, they said they'd place the warranty claim first thing Wednesday.

Looks like I'm finally able to post images now:

Old 06-25-20, 10:16 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
That is just a bolt that wasn't properly tightened, bad day for the assembler I guess. Good thing it didn't cause you to crash, but as far as being put back on there is nothing to worry about.

Do it through the bike shop if that makes you feel more comfortable. There should be a cap that screws into the hollow part of the crank. On some bikes that part is just cosmetic, on others it helps preload the bottom bracket. Not sure which that one is.

Personally I carry a multitool so if that happened to me it would have been fixed and back on the road 5 minutes later.
Old 06-25-20, 10:17 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Or alternately you could do it in your own driveway in 2 minutes.

BTW, not square taper crank.
Of course I could do it. Or you could do it. Not sure if the OP is comfortable doing it, but I suspect he could figure it out. You're missing the point. If the LBS does it, the LBS warrants it. So if it falls off again, the LBS has to fix it. If the OP installs the replacement, and it falls off, and he brings into the LBS, they'll say, "Gosh, that's too bad! You broke it!"

That is just a bolt that wasn't properly tightened, bad day for the assembler I guess.
I suspect that you're right, but who knows? The LBS may come back and say that there was a batch of crank arms that were broached oversize or somesuch. Agree with the point you made about the cap screw (although I just looked it up and apparently it's called a "fixing bolt" - who knew?). The fixing bolt is a necessary part, OP! The green one, below.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 06-25-20 at 10:25 PM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 06-26-20, 09:03 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Definitely take it back to the shop. If the crank has damage that you can't see and you put it back on yourself and it falls off again, the shop can't know if it was their fault or your fault. Most shops would not try to pin it on you (if you did no work on it and the crank fell off a new bike then this is 100% on them), but you never know.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-26-20, 10:07 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Or alternately you could do it in your own driveway in 2 minutes.
With the correct tools and knowledge, sure. Anyone capable of doing this probably wouldn't have even posted the question. But if someone is new to this (suggested by the initial description of the problem), and there is a non-zero chance that the parts are damaged or defective (eg: it is very easy to snap that retainer clip in a Shimano pinch-bolt assembly, which would explain why the crank came off in the first place), it is in this case much better to have the bike shop mechanic (preferably a more competent one) take care of it under warranty.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-26-20, 02:21 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Lookie here:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/safety-notices
Old 06-26-20, 02:29 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
With the correct tools and knowledge, sure. Anyone capable of doing this probably wouldn't have even posted the question. But if someone is new to this (suggested by the initial description of the problem), and there is a non-zero chance that the parts are damaged or defective (eg: it is very easy to snap that retainer clip in a Shimano pinch-bolt assembly, which would explain why the crank came off in the first place), it is in this case much better to have the bike shop mechanic (preferably a more competent one) take care of it under warranty.
Well, if an essential part of the crank arm fell off and was lost, nobody could have repaired this problem on the road as some others have suggested. Missing the retaining bolt means that the OP cannot do a home repair. The factory f****d up leaving the dealer to pick up the pieces
Old 06-26-20, 02:31 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Yup. Specialized issued a recall today (see post two above).

2019 / 2020 SIRRUS & SIRRUS X STOP RIDE

Dear Specialized Rider,

At Specialized, our riders come first. When rider safety is compromised, we must take action.

We have concluded that some cranks on certain 2019 and 2020 Sirrus and Sirrus X models may not have been installed correctly. This can potentially affect the safety of your bike.

We are asking you to stop riding your bicycle until we can ensure it is safe. We will also ask our retailers to stop selling potentially affected models.

We are working urgently to finalize the fix to this issue and obtain the required government approvals. We’re all riders ourselves, so getting you back on your bike is an absolute priority for our team. We fully expect this to be a simple and quick fix.

During this chaotic time in the world, the bike has been an outlet for so many of us. We are genuinely sorry to have to ask you to pause. We are committed to making this right as fast as humanly possible.

We will update you next week with next steps.

Thanks for riding Specialized.

Jon Goulet, Director of Quality

Affected Bike Models

Sirrus Sport (incl. EQ and Step-Through versions)
Sirrus X Comp Carbon

Sirrus 3.0
Sirrus 4.0
Sirrus X 3.0
Sirrus X 4.0
Sirrus X 5.0

How to tell if your Sirrus crank is affected:

The bike family name (i.e., “Sirrus” or “Sirrus X”) can be identified by looking at the top tube of your bike near the handlebars (see Fig. 1). It should be in plain sight when you sit in the saddle.

The model name (i.e., “3.0” or “Sport”) is written on the right-side seat stay towards the seatpost (see Fig. 2). Look at the side of your bike where the gears are (right side when sitting on the bike) and locate the model name on the tube that goes from the rear wheel up towards your saddle.

Figures 3 and 4 are pictures of a two-piece slotted crank, which is the type of crank affected. You can see fixing bolts on each side, which clamp the left side crankarm onto the crank spindle. If you have one of the affected model bikes, and your crank looks like this, stop riding until further notice.