Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ksyrium Elite freehub parts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 12:38 PM
motomutt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My freehub would not freewheel. Watched a couple videos, disassembled the freehub and inspected the parts. There's a seal that wears out (whitish in color) and it was split and worn out. I never knew this part even existed as I never had the need to inspect the hub. I can't seem to find the parts I need anywhere. Am I supposed to convert this over to a newer freehub ? I'd also like to replace the pawls while I'm in there. Any advice as to how to resolve this dilemma is greatly appreciated in advance
Old 06-27-20, 01:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
Are the pawls worn enough to have shape change? If not then I suggest leaving them as is. I've serviced many Mavic hubs and never replaced a pawl (excepting the one that got lost under the work bench). The number one issue is the inner bearing sleeve (which is an off white) will get dried out and/or roughened. But I've only replaced one IIRC due to damage. My memory is that it is fused to the outer body. The freehubs are rather sensitive to the lube, only mineral oil. This is all with the versions made during the 1990s and 2000s.

Mavic is currently going through business pains and might find a white knight to finance their rescue. I hope so as I always like their rims (for all the right reasons) although disliked their wheels. Andy
Old 06-27-20, 02:21 PM
motomutt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wheelsets are from my 2006 Scott CR1. I'm a Clydesdale and they have held up really well. Does anyone know where I can get the parts ?
Old 06-27-20, 02:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
Where are you? Are there LBS's in your area that have been in business for a number of years? Did they sell/service Mavic wheel back then? Andy
Old 06-27-20, 03:28 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Try here for hard to get parts. https://www.mavicparts.com/pages/shop-by-wheel
Old 06-27-20, 05:01 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
I just sent two of those wheels to our co-op because of pulled spokes in the rim. They will have parts for you. Contact Bloomington bike project via internet. MH
Old 06-28-20, 05:58 AM
101stairborne

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad; Lynkey Cooper CX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Mavic wheel parts

I have half a dozen Mavic wheel sets. I get parts and help from 2 sources.

I have no financial interests in either of these businesses.

The first is hubdoctor on EBay. If you search for Mavic pawls you will find him. He will probably have all the parts you need including a new hub.

I also have done business with rouge mechanic. His website is mavicparts.com. He also has some helpful utube videos.

To me Mavic wheels are easy to repair and maintain if you spend a little bit of time learning on YouTube

good luck with your repairs.