Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rechargeable headlight for night riding

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-01-20, 12:49 PM
bran1986

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Good Afternoon All,

I primarily ride my bike at night. I currently have a $15 headlight that I ordered off Amazon, which does an alright job. Two problems with it: takes AAA batteries that die quickly and it is not super bright.

At first I could get away with this cheap light, but it seems as I continue to get faster (woo!) I now need a light that projects light out a bit further. I don't really have a budget, but would like to keep it around $50 if possible. What are you night riders using?
Old 07-01-20, 01:01 PM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have Light and Motion headlights for me and my wife. They are very good and reliable, but there are many other good lights out there.

You can get the Urban 500 model for $50.

https://www.greggscycles.com/product...%7C%20%2459.99

https://www.backcountry.com/light-mo...6adda874d56515

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/l...fa8377a6dae155
Old 07-01-20, 01:33 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
There is a whole section at this site that includes posts about lights https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/.
At the top of the page you will see recommendations for headlights under $50. Just go to the last few pages for current information.https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...50-thread.html

Lights in Motion does make very nice lights. For daytime running lights I use two USB rechargeable clones of the Lezyne Drive 100. They will run for about 6 hours between charges. I looked them up recently on eBay and they are available from US sellers for around $12 for the pair. The sun is very bright here in the desert and these still are effective even at the low cost. Of course the sky is the limit for some of these lights, particularly the ones that started out on kickstarter. I still haven't been impressed with any of them. I use a CREE XML-T6 LED flashlight for a night light. I live in a suburban area and the streets are well lit so I don't need more than the ~950 lumens it puts out. The flashlight runs on one NCR/Panasonic 3,400 mAh battery that can be switched out in an instant. You can't do that with most regular bike lights like the Lights and Motion lights.
Old 07-01-20, 01:57 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I have a 'collection' of lights.

My favorite small lights that have lasted many years are :
1) a small Lezyne light. My exact model doesn't show up anymore on the web site, but the closest is the Lezyne Classic which looks to be around $40. I get about 2-3 hours on 'high' at night, but use it mostly as a DLR and get 5-6ish hours on the low or one of the blinky modes.
2) a Niterider that is on my primary commuter bike. I've had this light for many years and it charges with an external battery pack that sits on the top tube, so the exact model isn't around anymore, but all my Niterider lights have lasted a very long time, >5ys, so I would not hesitant to get one of their Lumina Micro 650 or 850 models as a replacement for $60-70.

An important consideration is how you will be using the light. Is your route mostly with street lights or is it dark? If the former than your light is mostly so others can see you, if the latter the beam pattern is most important for you seeing the road. As for brightness in the city or in town it doesn't have to be so bright that you're blinding other cyclists and drivers. For back-country or trail riding you probably want a brighter light that you can see down the road and you aren't 'over-riding' your headlights.
Old 07-01-20, 02:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Yea its an option

I bought a Headlight with a recharge-ability of the batteries in the headlight and it has 4 rechargeable AA's in it
and a plug for the recharger,,

It's more than $50 .. https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku.../192qmla.html?

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-17-20 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 02:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Yeah, a lot of good lights out there, I am now using a NightRider 1100 something that has very good run time and many options for brightness (to 1100 lumens) and cost around $110. I bought last year's several years ago at REI and paid $70.
Old 07-01-20, 04:32 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Niterider Lumina Series:
https://www.niterider.com/collection...SAAEgLWdfD_BwE

The swift 500 oughta do it for you.
Old 07-02-20, 05:05 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Cygolite Metro in the 500-600 lumen range. USA made, I've gotten them for a little as $35 off Amazon. They have a really nice beam pattern that lights up the whole trail. I usually run on the medium power setting (~350 lumen), I have no trouble cruising 20 mph on a path through the woods with no other light. they sell extra mounts so can swap easily between bikes.

USB rechargeable, you can run them off a cell phone back up battery in a pinch. I have replaced the internal battery on a couple of mine, one I've had for over 5 years.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-02-20, 05:43 AM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Another vote for Cygolite. I have a Metro with the optional helmet mount. I highly recommend it. Very bright, holds a charge, and the helmet mount lets you send the beam exactly where you are looking.
Old 07-02-20, 05:48 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Cygolite Metro in the 500-600 lumen range. USA made, I've gotten them for a little as $35 off Amazon. They have a really nice beam pattern that lights up the whole trail. I usually run on the medium power setting (~350 lumen), I have no trouble cruising 20 mph on a path through the woods with no other light. they sell extra mounts so can swap easily between bikes.

USB rechargeable, you can run them off a cell phone back up battery in a pinch. I have replaced the internal battery on a couple of mine, one I've had for over 5 years.
I'll second the Cygolite recommendation. I used a Cygolite Dash 460 for several years and was very happy with the brightness and battery life. I got it as a combo with their Hotshot taillight. You may want to consider a taillight as well if you're riding on roads or trails for extra visibility.

REI has the combo on clearance right now as there are newer models that supercede it. Great deal at $46 for both

Cygolite Dash 460 / Hotshot Micro 30 Bike Light Set | REI Co-op
Old 07-02-20, 01:39 PM
bran1986

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for all the responses everyone! Since it worked out well on my platform pedals thread, I think I am going to stick to the same formula and purchase the one that was mentioned the most (Cygolite).

Just for clarification, I already have two Topeak tail lights that I use for visibility; one on solid and one on slow blink. Can never be too safe!
Old 07-02-20, 01:58 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
One more option - get a headlight that uses rechargeable batteries, plus a recharger, and you won't have to worry about recharging the single light. I've got a 'Mako' model (from Nightrider?) with hi - lo - flashing lo lights that only cost about $25. It uses 2-AA batteries, as do my taillights, my home flashlights, and a few other electric devices. I've got a recharger and just charge the batteries every weekend while wandering through BF. (the bike lights get about 4 hours use a week). While rechargable batteries cost more up front, you save in the long run. So far its worked out great, usually have to buy 1 or 2 new sets of batteries a year to replace those that go bad in all the devices, but the savings in battery costs have been enormous.
Old 07-02-20, 07:12 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Cygolite is a good company. I've been using the Expilion series for quite some time, though it looks like those have been phased out (somebody correct me if I'm wrong!)

They have good warranty support with California based customer service and repairs.
Old 07-05-20, 02:18 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
anker lc40 maybe x2 thats two of them , secured with hose clamps !!!
Old 07-06-20, 03:46 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I have a Niterider Swift 300 that cost me around $16 and does a good job for daylight or night time in the city and its battery life is fine. I also have an older model Fenix that takes 2 rechargable 18650 batteries which is super bright. Of the two i use the smaller Niterider most because it is lighter and i hardly notice its presence on the handlebar, but if i had to go into trails at night i would use the Fenix.
Old 07-06-20, 04:42 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
+1 on the Cygolite. I've had mine for years and it's great for moonless nights on the river trail, gives a clear bright spot out in front of me. It's easily transferrable between bikes, so I just tend to leave it mounted on the bracket and unscrew the clamp.
Old 07-06-20, 08:18 PM
Amber1988

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Lezyne is an option.
Old 07-06-20, 09:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Metr.../dp/B01N4ANAPU

Was cheaper than that not too long ago, but still I'd opt for it at the current price.
Old 07-07-20, 10:54 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Wow, some of the responses, geez. Anyway, stay away from Amazon clone lights, those darn things come out of China and are poorly made, not only that but they far overstate their lumens and battery run times. Stay with a name brand light.

Lezyne makes a really nice light called the Micro Drive 600XL, this light puts out up to 600 lumens, it will run up to an hour on the 600 level, or drop it down to 400 lumens and it will run for a hour and 40 minutes. During the day you can put on day flash which will flash a 600 lumen level for up to 8 hours. This light sells for $50. Lezyne makes another one called the Hecto Drive 500XL, which has just a tad less brightness, but the run times are the same, and it's a little less expensive at $40, which may make it the better light for the money.

I have a smaller version of that light, it puts out 400 lumens, but I don't use it for my main headlight except during the day when I use as a flasher, but at night I still use it as a flasher, and then I add a main headlight to the bars; the main headlight is capable of 1,200 lumens but I only run it most of the time at 400. The Lezyne I have when I use it at night gets attached to my helmet so I can point the light at cars so they know I'm there.

Depending on where you live but in the UK a really nice light for the money is the Torchy BK650 for just $35, but these will not flash because it's illegal to have a flashing light in the UK.
Old 08-17-20, 03:22 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
which model did you end up procuring? CMP 1,100?
Old 08-17-20, 03:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

German Busch & Muller did the optics engineering and so have a reflector laying down a useful beam pattern on the street , not the eyes of oncoming traffic.
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku-scheinwerfer.html (Patented)

I assume USB rechargables can run longer if you add the power back up battery packs made to extend the run time of your phone & notebook.. etc.

Old 08-17-20, 03:55 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've been quite happy with these lights from China. They appear to be an original design, not a copy of anything. They're put together well. I bought a bunch, for everybody in the family plus a couple of spares. My acid test was using one through a season of winter commuting, just before the lockdown, and it did fine. The rubber strap doesn't hold it well enough, which is cured by a zip-tie.

Aside from Busch and Mueller, this appears to be the only light on the market that's actually well engineered as a light, rather than as an oncoming-cyclist-blinder.

https://www.banggood.com/XANES-600LM...r_warehouse=CN
Old 08-17-20, 04:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Of course a light you wear on your head to use both hands at night is a whole different ball-o-wax..
Old 10-06-20, 09:14 AM
pcons713

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 8 Posts
+1 for Busch & Muller. I have the Ixon Core (rechargeable, but batteries not removable) and its great for fast night rides on forest gravel cycle paths on the high beam, and all other city rides are easily covered by the low beam. I believe I got it for about 45 (in Germany), maybe about $50-60 in the US