Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Integrated headset woes on Pinnacle Arkose with Planet X London Road fork...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 04:32 AM
Elkie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm new here, please be nice...

Basically, I bought a used 2014 Pinnacle Arkose on eBay, which I'm having strange headset problems with...

There seems to be no middle ground between the headset having too much slack, and being too stiff to easily turn. I've never owned a bike with an integrated headset before.

After riding the bike for a little while with the headset fairly tight, there seems to be a lot of very fine aluminium filings within the headtube, on the bearing race

It seems that rather than rolling smoothly on the bearing, something is causing the bottom of the frame headtube to grind against the top of the fork where the bearing race sits!

On closer inspection, the fork seems to not be the original, but a Planet X London Road fork.

I'm wondering if maybe integrated headsets possibly have different stack heights for the lower bearing, and mine is shorter when I need a taller one?

I don't actually have the bike to hand so can't post any pics, but any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 07-07-20, 04:41 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkie
Hi, I'm new here, please be nice...

Basically, I bought a used 2014 Pinnacle Arkose on eBay, which I'm having strange headset problems with...

There seems to be no middle ground between the headset having too much slack, and being too stiff to easily turn. I've never owned a bike with an integrated headset before.

After riding the bike for a little while with the headset fairly tight, there seems to be a lot of very fine aluminium filings within the headtube, on the bearing race

It seems that rather than rolling smoothly on the bearing, something is causing the bottom of the frame headtube to grind against the top of the fork where the bearing race sits!

On closer inspection, the fork seems to not be the original, but a Planet X London Road fork.

I'm wondering if maybe integrated headsets possibly have different stack heights for the lower bearing, and mine is shorter when I need a taller one?

I don't actually have the bike to hand so can't post any pics, but any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!
You need to take it apart and see what's wrong.
Could be a missing spacer or a bearing upside down. Who knows?
See where the filings are coming from?
Old 07-07-20, 04:43 AM
Elkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blamester
You need to take it apart and see what's wrong.
Could be a missing spacer or a bearing upside down. Who knows?
See where the filings are coming from?
Thanks, as mentioned I don't actually have the bike to hand at the moment, and was hoping if the issue is the wrong bearing stack height I could save some time by ordering the part I need and replacing it when I'm next with the bike.
Old 07-07-20, 05:31 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Thanks, as mentioned I don't actually have the bike to hand at the moment, and was hoping if the issue is the wrong bearing stack height I could save some time by ordering the part I need and replacing it when I'm next with the bike.
You could go ahead and buy a new headset but it could be the fork.
What is likely is they never switched the crown race on the fork when they put the new one on.
Old 07-07-20, 06:58 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 975 Posts
Ordering parts without disassembly and inspection can easily result in parts purchased uselessly
Old 07-07-20, 07:34 AM
Elkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Ordering parts without disassembly and inspection can easily result in parts purchased uselessly
Sorry, I thought "within the headtube, on the bearing race" would make it obvious that I'd disassembled and inspected when I was with the bike. Not sure how I'd know there were aluminium filings within the headtube without disassembling.