Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

From fixed to cross?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

From fixed to cross?

Old 10-10-06, 11:41 AM
Doctor Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From fixed to cross?

After about a year of one or two days a week of a 28 mile RT commute through the middle of Los Angeles to Santa Monica (mostly flat), all on my trusted fixed, my commute has suddenly changed and I have thinking of getting (gasp) gears. I have been looking at the Surly Cross-check, which seems reliable and affordable (around $850 online w/shipping). I've always lusted after a nice touring bike as well, in hopes of some day doing the SF to LA route, and this seems to fit the bill. As far as the commute though, my main ride is 22 RT on mostly flat, though part of the last 4 miles back are a knee crunching uphill - at after hours of headbanging through PhD coursework, its all the more tiring. I know find myself doing the 22 miles at least twice a week, sometimes three or four.

My question, am I going to regret going to gears? My main reasonings: I now carry about 20+ lbs in my bag (I'm a PhD student, the library travels with me), and before I carried maybe 5+ lbs. The Cross-check would give me an ample place for panniers. I would also, perhaps, save my knees a little longer, and better overcome hills, etc. It also seems when riding my fixed that I "max out" as far as speed - I can only peddle so fast, but it seems I could push myself quicker with gears. Am I being reasonable?

That all said, I love my fixed gear and would ride it when not commuting as it is unbeatable when you are dealing with the city.

thanks for any advice!
Old 10-10-06, 12:15 PM
ducati

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you're being quite reasonable.

Personally, I feel my geared cyclocross bike is less efficient than my fixed gear. I choose my fixed gear bikes 100% of the time when I'm riding my regular commute. There are some hills, but I've got the grunt now to get up them. I think a 4-mile knee-crushing hill will get easier, but always be a 4-mile knee-crushing hill. Fixed isn't magic.

I definitely can push faster on my geared bike. You eventually run out of spin with a fixed gear. For me the tradeoff is less efficiency; the derailleurs seem to add some sort of "filter" between me and the road that seems to rob a little power. I'm going faster at times on my geared bike, slower at others. The average commute times are remarkably similar. Unless i'm really pushing it--in which case my geared bike is quicker. Best time on my gearie is a little over 48 minutes. Best time on my fixed gear is about a minute slower. I'm more whipped when I ride the fixie that quickly.

But an average commute for me, 52-54 mins, is more efficient and relaxed on my fixie. I always end up feeling more tired on my gearie.

THAT SAID... There's one day I always ride my geared bike: Tuesday. I ride some brutal streets that make it tough to keep the spin up--the key to efficient fixed riding (mashing tires you very quickly). These are both brutal in pavement and brutal in a usually-against-the-wind hill. The gearie just works better for that.

Long-windedly I'm saying buy a geared bike by all means... But don't get rid of your fixed gear. Switch until you figure out a happy medium. For me, that's 4 days fixed, 1 geared.
Old 10-10-06, 12:25 PM
zoridog

Bikes: Bianchi Milano Nexus 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like your fixie, just add a hub gear. Nexus 8 is a nice gear range but almost as low maintenance as a fixed.

If you don't like gears after all, just sell the Nexus 8 wheel on eBay.
Old 10-10-06, 01:37 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
"From fixed to cross"?

I expected this post to be from Jesus
Old 10-10-06, 01:49 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You are not allowed to go back to a geared bike...didn't you read the fine print when you went to a fixie? We disowned you and removed all reference to you from the annals of geared bike history. You no longer exist...traitor. But, since it was only a fixie and not the dreaded hammock on wheels, the Pope may grant special dispensation. Your OP can be considered your confession, go now and sin no more.

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-10-06, 01:56 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, I'm a PhD student as well! My commute is only 5 miles each way, or 10 miles if I'm coming from my girlfriend's apartment. I lusted after the Trek 520, Surly LHT, and Surly Cross-Check... then decided to roll my own. I ended up, for only $350, with my homebrew touring bike that's about as good as any of those, with a unique frame.

I love it! I think you're on the right track with the Cross Check. Another bike to consider in my opinion is the Bianchi Volpe. About $800-900 complete and it's an excellent bike. A perfect light touring bike that looks good and sporty too. One of my coworkers has one and she adores it. I think it's tied with the Cross Check for the best "sporty but rugged" road bike available today.

I have a fixie too, but don't ride it as much as I'd like these days I don't think you'll regret going to gears. On my 5 mile commute, fixed or geared bike doesn't make much difference. The hilly 10 mile trip to my girlfriend's place, on the other hand, is very tiring with the fixie but a pleasure on my geared bike even when carrying 20 lbs of cargo.

Good luck getting a geared bike that's right for you.

Last edited by moxfyre; 10-10-06 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 01:58 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ive commuted on both a Fix and a Crosscheck.
The Crosscheck is the Ron Popiel Pocket Fisherman
of bikes !!! It does everything ! I only sold mine because
it was waaaay too big for me. I would buy another smaller
one in a second if I had disposable income.
I love the fix best of all but...this hurts *coFf* *C0Ff*, and
I might be shunned by the fix community, but it is so nice
to be able to coast down huge hills after 8 hours of lifting
40lb. jet engine parts
Old 10-10-06, 02:53 PM
Doctor Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many Hail Mary's am I due for now?

Thanks for the reponses. I have thought about going homebrew - and building somethign up from a frame and various parts, but just going in feet first for a "complete" seems easier. My fixie and past bikes have always been build-ups from here and there parts. I also thought about the rear-internal-gear hub, but then i lose my fixed.

I think I'll probably keep my eye on the Bay and see what pops up, and let that make the decision. If nothing in the course of a month or two, the Cross-Check it is!
Old 10-10-06, 03:36 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Yes
. I also thought about the rear-internal-gear hub, but then i lose my fixed.
It doesn't have to be that way. If you do it right, you'd just have to swap wheels in the back to switch between the two. I eventually will do this...
Old 10-10-06, 04:04 PM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could just swap a hub geared wheel with a fixed wheel whenever you want a change, however you can never have too many bikes. I think your commute is long enough to appreciate a geared bike. I would suggest switching between the two to keep things interesting. I really enjoy riding fixed which is why my commuter is a fixie. If the ride got to be a pain to do on the fixed I would ride a geared bike for at least some of the commutes. Having two bikes means you should never be without a bike to ride. And it allows you to make the decision as to which bike to ride as you walk out the door. Two wheels give you options and is definately cheaper but you don't have a backup bike and it takes longer to switch wheels than it takes to switch bikes.
Craig
Old 10-10-06, 04:14 PM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CBBaron
I really enjoy riding fixed which is why my commuter is a fixie. If the ride got to be a pain to do on the fixed I would ride a geared bike for at least some of the commutes. Craig
Strange but unavoidable phenomenon.....
I switch back and forth too. After a while on the gearie my commute
times actually increase. Even though the gearing on the fixer is a relatively
low 46x17, the time spent coasting and using low gears on hills makes my
times eventually creep up on the gearie !!
Old 10-10-06, 04:15 PM
chuckfox
'possum killer

Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
I commute on a fixie (slightly modified Raleigh Rush Hour) and a Cross Check with gears. I like both but use them slightly differently. When I have a lot to carry (books, notebook computer and the like) I use the Cross Check and load all the junk in my Bob trailer. With the load, my knees appreciate the gears. When I'm lightly loaded (just me) I tend to ride the fixie, just because it's more fun.

As indicated in this thread the Cross Check is an excellent bike, I purchased mine as a frame only and built it up myself...which was an expensive but rewarding experience.
Old 10-10-06, 05:07 PM
littlefoot

Bikes: Many all steel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I at times wonder if I've gotten 'soft' by riding a geared bike most of the time these days...honestly I have found that riding my long rides geared and the shorter fixed allows me to enjoy any ride a bit more.
Old 10-10-06, 06:52 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
I would also, perhaps, save my knees a little longer, and better overcome hills, etc. It also seems when riding my fixed that I "max out" as far as speed - I can only peddle so fast, but it seems I could push myself quicker with gears. Am I being reasonable?
It would seem that way. I take it that you are not getting a doctorate in physics.
Old 10-10-06, 07:24 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It would seem that way. I take it that you are not getting a doctorate in physics.
Yeah...junky German 3-speeds are much faster and more efficient...anyone with a brain knows that. (how do you add those smiley faces? I wanna put one here....)

Here we go again...lets debate the pros and cons of riding fixed. As for me...I ride fixed for the sole reason of maintaining my hipster/elitist status.

Last edited by mihlbach; 10-10-06 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 07:28 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Yeah...junky German 3-speeds are much faster and more efficient...anyone with a brain knows that.

Here we go again...lets debate the pros and cons of riding fixed. As for me...I ride fixed for the sole reason of maintaining my hipster/elitist status.
I ride fixed because I have deeply repressed counter-cultural tendencies
Old 10-10-06, 07:33 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by ducati
I think a 4-mile knee-crushing hill will get easier, but always be a 4-mile knee-crushing hill. Fixed isn't magic.
4 mile hills kinda suck...but hills dont really have to be knee crushers if you learn the right techniques. For example, use clipless pedals, slide back in the saddle, sit upright and let the hamstrings do most of the work. I'm not sure if I could do that consistently for a 4 mile climb but it relieves the knees and will boost your climbing speed. Its a technique I leared riding fixed that has carried over to my geared bike as well. But yeah, geared feels less efficient, but is nonetheless slighly faster over the long haul. I love both.
Old 10-10-06, 08:11 PM
ryanparrish
Life is short Ride hard

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I single speed my commuter I road a fixxie today loved it don't think I am going to go that route for the commute simply put with 20 lbs of junk in the trunk (books and laptop and papers) I want to coast
Old 10-10-06, 09:56 PM
Doctor Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hardly - Visual Studies - I just like the way the fixed gear looks. haha.
Old 10-11-06, 04:13 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Hardly - Visual Studies - I just like the way the fixed gear looks. haha.
Makes sense. Much more than the hip theory that the use of gears makes work harder. What's next, levers and wedges on their way out due to their looks?
Old 10-11-06, 06:08 AM
ryanparrish
Life is short Ride hard

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes sense. Much more than the hip theory that the use of gears makes work harder. What's next, levers and wedges on their way out due to their looks?
Old 10-11-06, 07:19 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ILTB,
When will you learn that some people enjoy riding a fixed gear. It may not be easier but I find it more fun. And some people may find thier commute faster. I am definately not hip and with the exception of a short time in Jr. High I have never tried to be hip. But I ride a fixie because I find it fun and for me a fixie has advantages as a commuter compared to a gear bike. However given a long hilly commute with a heavy load I would probably ride most days on a geared bike (perhaps recumbent).
Craig
Old 10-11-06, 07:35 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CBBaron
ILTB,
When will you learn that some people enjoy riding a fixed gear. It may not be easier but I find it more fun. And some people may find thier commute faster. I am definately not hip and with the exception of a short time in Jr. High I have never tried to be hip. But I ride a fixie because I find it fun and for me a fixie has advantages as a commuter compared to a gear bike. However given a long hilly commute with a heavy load I would probably ride most days on a geared bike (perhaps recumbent).
Craig
You're too modest Craig...everyone from Cleveland is hip, even you! Everytime I ride downtown or back through the old westside hood, I can just feel the hip surging back into my....hair. It could be the soot, but I like to believe it's hipsterness!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-11-06, 07:45 AM
ducati

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife's from the Cleveland area, she's pretty hip.

Me, I'm from Columbus. We're nouveau hip.

Old 10-11-06, 09:10 AM
comradehoser
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chipcom:
a) is that your art in the background of your pic?

b) maybe it's the small size of the pic, but with the japanese, I think your real name must be Steven.

I used to be a fixie-commuter. But I kept on having nagging doubts. "Maybe this is just too simple and efficient," I thought. I knew that commuting in the drops felt good--maybe too good. Then I found bicycleforums and a little light went on in my head! Fixies were part of the problem, not part of the solution! I was putting all my energy into looking so hip, I had forgotten what biking was all about: hi-tensile straight-gauge tubing, erect posture, riser bars, and the coasting, lets not forget the coasting, so I gave my shants to my wife, burned the cycling cap, buried the messenger bag, and sold the fixie. Then I bought myself a rusty Free Spirit with the proceeds, and I am truly happy! Thanks, ILTB!!!!

Last edited by comradehoser; 10-11-06 at 09:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.