Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek to start selling directly

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 08:01 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Came across a story recently which mentioned that Trek will start selling directly to consumers. However, this does not mean that LBS's will be impacted. Delivery still takes place at the LBS.
Old 08-11-15, 08:29 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
This story is creating fear in bicycle shops. Read the comments at Trek to begin online bike sales ? Dealers will assemble bikes and get a service commission | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News . They are very worried.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-11-15, 08:34 PM
elmore leonard

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'm sure some bike shops will just drop the Trek lineup.
Old 08-11-15, 08:39 PM
downtube

Originally Posted by elmore leonard
i'm sure some bike shops will just drop the Trek lineup.
There is nothing that can replace Trek. It is the biggest bike brand in the USA. FYI every brand will follow suit by selling direct in less than 12 months. The shops will have to live in fear for a while.

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-11-15, 08:54 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Giant maybe following:

Giant USA 'studying' online bike sales through dealers | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
Old 08-11-15, 10:01 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Raleigh USA tried this about 5-7 years ago. Don't think it worked out so well. What happens with returns?
Old 08-11-15, 10:19 PM
elmore leonard

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are lots of good bikes out there. I don't think Trek bikes are USA made anymore. The family bike market is the big bike market for bike shops. Bike shops will have less Trek inventory and more inventory of the other makers. Buyers want to see, feel, touch and ride out of the shop on their new bike the same day.
Old 08-11-15, 10:46 PM
downtube

Originally Posted by cale
Raleigh USA tried this about 5-7 years ago. Don't think it worked out so well. What happens with returns?
Trek is supposedly charging 6k to get setup online plus 3k per year. I would guess returns are the dealers problem.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 08-11-15, 10:47 PM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds awfully stupid to me, part of me think a lot of parents really enjoy taking their kids to buy a bike and the reactions of the kids when they get to choose one. Can you imagine when that is gone and the kid is at home clicking a mouse to buy a bike.
Old 08-11-15, 10:51 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Some Internet bike shops have ignored bike company policies against shipping bikes so Trek is giving way to the inevitable.

The bike company policy meant to protect dealers have ended up hurting them because they cannot profit on a sale that comes through their shop.

And the bike company itself passes up a sale because consumers cannot buy what they want online.

When Bikes Direct and other online stores offering shipping either to one's home or to one's local bike shop, the irrational insistence of bike companies not take advantage of everything their online store could offer is ultimately self-defeating.

If people can't buy from you, they'll buy elsewhere if you insist they can only pick up your purchase at a dealer even that's not always convenient for them. The old adage is true here: the customer is always the boss.
Old 08-11-15, 10:55 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
Diamondback sells through Amazon. Its been very successful for them and people are happy they can buy a bike they want online with few hassles. I picked up my Schwinn from a bike shop online about couple of years from Michigan and in the past year I bought my Marin from eBay.

Bike companies can either accept people are going to circumvent their ban on online bike sales or they can give them what they want. As I said, people don't need to be protected from themselves.
Old 08-11-15, 10:57 PM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fender stirred the pot in the guitar world last year when they started doing the same thing, and it's worked out pretty well for them so far.

I have seen several large manufacturers cutting out dealers in favor of direct sales lately.
Old 08-11-15, 11:11 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
QBP has now abandoned the direct sales model, ostensibly to protect dealers.

When they begin losing sales, they'll reverse their new policy.
Old 08-12-15, 02:01 AM
manc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, what is the general consensus? Better or worse for consumers?
Old 08-12-15, 05:34 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I was told by a guy who is the Trek distributor to a major group of Countries about the impact on him. He welcomed it because he will receive a large percentage of compensation on the sales online. This includes all of the Trek group of companies including Bontrager. Don't worry, the smart retailers will be able to carry on. He told me another interesting thing. It is cheaper to buy 100% of his shimano stock from Chainreaction, as they pay 20% less wholesale than any other shop in the world.
Old 08-12-15, 06:26 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I may be mistaken -- UK forum members might correct me -- but I believe that Trek is following, at least in part, the model established by Giant in the UK? Not unique to Giant, but it might be the first of the 'big three' into this 'hybrid' (!) sales set up.

Buyers in the UK have the option of selecting/ordering/paying for a bike online, and then arranging to collect at a Giant dealer or have the bike delivered to a home/other address for a small fee. In either case, the dealer still unpacks/sets up/safety checks the bike etc.

Giant's UK website is completely set up for this; I'd imagine that's why, for example, it includes a pretty good 'sizing guide' for each frame model.
Old 08-12-15, 06:42 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by 2702
Sounds awfully stupid to me, part of me think a lot of parents really enjoy taking their kids to buy a bike and the reactions of the kids when they get to choose one. Can you imagine when that is gone and the kid is at home clicking a mouse to buy a bike.
If there have a sizing chart that works, children will get a perfect bike for their body, and a wonderful new experience. Does it have to be the same as yours? FYI I never had such an experience.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 08-12-15, 06:44 AM
downtube

[QUOTE=giantcfr1;18067981 He told me another interesting thing. It is cheaper to buy 100% of his shimano stock from Chainreaction, as they pay 20% less wholesale than any other shop in the world.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this info...did not know about them.

Yan
Old 08-12-15, 06:50 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by manc
So, what is the general consensus? Better or worse for consumers?
It gives the consumer more options, hence it must be better. However shops are in fear, non-Trek shops are worried they will not be able to compete, and Trek shops worry that Trek will take over their business eventually.

FYI the industry prefers inefficiency....it has grown accustomed to it.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 08-12-15, 07:16 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
IMHO, some will like not having to go to the bike shop. Others like myself will be "why bother" as I want to have some hands on time. Plus, if I buy something online, I expect a "deal", as overhead is much lower. If I'm going to buy a bike online, I have incentive to do so from Bikes direct, or Amazon, or eBay, as I will save $$$ and get is delivered where I want it delivered. None of this applies to a Trek bike. The argument of having to checked over by the local dealer will sway a few, but most people that are competent enough to get what they need online, will have no issues doing finally assemble and checks on an internet bike.

QT
Old 08-12-15, 07:38 AM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I've had no issue with bike fit.

As for workmanship, that's covered by the warranty and in the unlikely event the frame falls apart, I just would get a new bike at no cost.

So I'm perfectly aware of what could arise in an Internet transaction and I've been a happy customer.

I buy what I want without some pushy salesman telling me what I need.

Direct sales is the future and LBS simply cannot turn away customers who ship a bike they've bought to their store.

Not so good for their sales staff but it makes their mechanics very happy to get that business.
Old 08-12-15, 08:04 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I think overall this will be better for consumers. It is more efficient and that is better for the manufacturers, so it will probably be better for Trek. I don't know enough about how it will affect the average LBS to know whether or not it will help them, although I speculate that seeing as most of them make more money off of service and parts that it won't affect their bottom line negatively. It also has the potential of reducing the amount of inventory they have to keep on hand.

There will always be a percentage of people who aren't sure what they want and will desire to touch and feel (and ride) a few different bikes before they purchase them. These aren't the people to whom this type of selling is targeting. I speculate that those types of people will take the traditional route and select a bike from what's currently in stock at a dealer.

Then there are the types (of which I am one) who do a ton of research before selecting a bike and know exactly what they're looking for, including size and geometry. For people like us, the LBS rarely has the exact bike we want to purchase in stock anyway, so ordering the bike sight unseen is typical. This new direct sales model has the benefit of allowing Trek to compete more closely with other online retailers.

I can see more and more companies taking this approach in the future. The younger generation has grown up with online purchasing being the norm rather than the novel recent innovation us old geezers perceive it as. To them purchasing direct will seem like a very natural process.

I can also see car companies/dealers moving to to this type of sales approach as well.
Old 08-12-15, 08:04 AM

Bikes: 16 Haibike Sdruo Cross SM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
If there have a sizing chart that works, children will get a perfect bike for their body, and a wonderful new experience. Does it have to be the same as yours? FYI I never had such an experience.

Thanks,
Yan
No you jerk it does not have to be the same as mine.
Old 08-12-15, 08:13 AM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Agreed. It allows for flexibility since if the original bike isn't stock, the online store will usually let one place another order.

Plus, a customer can track delivery via UPS. What's not to love?
Old 08-12-15, 08:30 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Diamondback sells through Amazon. Its been very successful for them and people are happy they can buy a bike they want online with few hassles. I picked up my Schwinn from a bike shop online about couple of years from Michigan and in the past year I bought my Marin from eBay.

Bike companies can either accept people are going to circumvent their ban on online bike sales or they can give them what they want. As I said, people don't need to be protected from themselves.
You're not bringing up similar examples. This (the Trek program) is different from direct to customer sales which eliminate the bike shop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.