Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Clipless Pedals On My Roam??

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 02:55 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

I have been kicking this around for awhile, and just can't pull the trigger. Having never used them, makes me a little aprehensive as I don't really know what to expect. The guy at my LBS highly suggests it (a sell or my best interest in mind??) and I'm aware of how they work, but I'm still uncertain.

So, needless to say, I'm looking for advice. Advantages and disadvantages? Anyone that has the same type of bike, go this route? Any regrets? Advice on which pedals and shoes?

These are the ones I'm considering...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2RCT8MB1RT96V
Old 08-19-15, 03:07 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I prefer platform pedals.

Clipless pedals are tiny and don't give the feet much support on long rides.

And I'd rather not have to twist my heel to click out every time I want to disengage and it gets old fast in a town with a lot of stop signs.
Old 08-19-15, 04:02 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by NormanF
I prefer platform pedals.

Clipless pedals are tiny and don't give the feet much support on long rides.

And I'd rather not have to twist my heel to click out every time I want to disengage and it gets old fast in a town with a lot of stop signs.
I should add...
From a cycling performance standpoint, I think it's probably a great idea. They main thing holding me back is, sometimes I'm riding for two very different reasons. Most of the time, I'm riding for the exercise. So... non-stop, rather fast paced tunnel vision riding. Other times, I'm riding to explore a new greenway, trail or countryside. Stopping at various places and just checking things out. Or sometimes I'll have my photography equipment with me and looking to explore and shoot scenes while I'm riding. Obviously, clipless pedals won't be very useful for these situations. I suppose I could always change pedals beforehand, depending on the type of ride I'll be doing, but that seems like that will get old quick.

So.....
Old 08-19-15, 04:18 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
That looks like a nice pedal, though the M324 is probably a better pedal for a beginner, and it is cheaper. And you can use them with cycling shoes, or without.
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M32.../dp/B00AZ2OID8

If money is really tight, these Nashbar pedals are only $25 with cleats.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...06_-1___205979

Last edited by MRT2; 08-19-15 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-19-15, 04:44 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Wide platform pedals will keep the feet secure. And the bonus is you don't need to buy special shoes to ride your bike....
Old 08-19-15, 04:50 PM
MRT2

Wide platform pedals will keep the feet secure. And the bonus is you don't need to buy special shoes to ride your bike....
Two sided pedals give OP the option. Clipless for fast fitness oriented rides, platforms for casual rides. All I can say is, once you get used to riding clipless, you will never go back.
Old 08-19-15, 04:54 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Two sided pedals give OP the option. Clipless for fast fitness oriented rides, platforms for casual rides. All I can say is, once you get used to riding clipless, you will never go back.
I tried them but the tiny size of the pedals gave me hot foot. I think for most purposes a platform will work better and they're considerably cheaper.
Old 08-19-15, 05:01 PM
MRT2

I tried them but the tiny size of the pedals gave me hot foot. I think for most purposes a platform will work better and they're considerably cheaper.
Finding the right shoes can be a challenge. I don't think good platforms are all that much cheaper than clipless anymore. You can find clipless on sale for $25 or $30. Shoes will cost about what any athletic shoe will cost, and they will last for years.
Old 08-19-15, 05:23 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have a Roam as well, I have a pair of Shimano PDT400 Clickr Pedal on mine and ride with Nashbar Ragster II Cycling Sandals. This combo really works well for me. You will not gain much in performance with clips , most of us "regular" riders don't, but will gain a bit of ease from having your feet in exactly the right place. I was getting some foot and calf pain caused by improper foot placement. I have a bit of neuropathy in my feet and without the cleats / pedals my feet would often slide off or I would pedal with my heel or toe tips which caused the pain.

The Clickr pedals are easy in and out and use the multi release SH56 silver cleats so they come in and out more easily. If you pull too hard on the upstroke you may unclip them, so they are really ideal for beginners and those like me who really want more of the indexing than to be able to pull up really hard.

I've tried some pedals without the platform and had trouble getting started like at intersections where I wanted to stay unclipped in case of a emergency, the are hard to use without being clipped in and if you miss the hookup your feet might jut slide completely off. The regular SH51 black cleats also hold tighter and make unclipping a bit more effort, something I found out when making a panic stop a few times, so I stick with the silver cleats.
Old 08-19-15, 06:13 PM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I should add...
Most of the time, I'm riding for the exercise. So... non-stop, rather fast paced tunnel vision riding. Other times, I'm riding to explore a new greenway, trail or countryside. Stopping at various places and just checking things out. Or sometimes I'll have my photography equipment with me and looking to explore and shoot scenes while I'm riding. Obviously, clipless pedals won't be very useful for these situations. I suppose I could always change pedals beforehand, depending on the type of ride I'll be doing, but that seems like that will get old quick.

So.....
IMHO

Where I really see the advantage of clipless is
  • if when I'm in wet/muddy conditions so my feet don't slip (though a good set of studded MTB flats will do here)
  • when I"m off the seat and powering down
  • when I'm hill climbing (again especially when I'm off the seat)
  • when I'm stopped (especially on a hill ) and have to bring the crank around to get that initial push to get started.
  • When I'm going across bumpy ground and my feet no longer bounce off the pedals

Is it making me any faster just riding flats (fast or slow) I wouldn't even like to guess, probably not or at least marginally.

Clipping in and out becomes second nature after a while.
Old 08-19-15, 06:32 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Once you grow accustomed to them, you'll barely notice they are there. & the benefits are numerous. There are numerous pedal options & everyone has their favorite, for different reasons. The only advice i'd give is to research the reliability of the pedals you are looking at. Sometimes budget pedals suffer from poor design/materials & wear out faster.

Last edited by Blue Belly; 08-19-15 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-19-15, 06:42 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by Blue Belly
Once you grow accustomed to them, you'll barely notice they are there. & the benefits are numerous. There are numerous pedal options & everyone has their favorite, for different reasons. The only advice i'd give is to research the reliability of the pedals you are looking at. Sometimes budget pedals suffer from poor design/materials & wear out faster.
If I went with the two-sided as suggested, which ones would you recommend?
Old 08-19-15, 06:49 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If I went with the two-sided as suggested, which ones would you recommend?
I'll be honest & say the only two sided pedals I've tried were A couple different styles of crank brothers pedals. I'm not used to a free float pedal so, It'd be unfair for me to say I didn't get along with them. I'm sure they were fine pedals. Once you grow comfortable with a system, you really need a good reason to change. Especially if you have multiple bikes... If you are concerned with price? I'd start there & look at reviews/opinions of the pedals that fit your budget.
Old 08-19-15, 07:07 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
The Shimano M324s are nice pedals. Get a set of 3 way SH56 cleats and keep the release screw on the pedal loose to start with. Clipping in and out will become second nature after a while. Don't be surprised if you have an incident or two at the start though, but it's worth the pain. As you get used to them start tightening the release screw. Eventually you get to the stage where you can pull up on the pedal as well as pushing down, really good for those times you need a burst of acceleration, like starting off on a steep hill.
You can try some of the cheaper 5Ten MTB shoes on Steep and Cheap or Whiskey Militia to start with. They look like street shoes but take cleats. I've discovered they're no good for long touring though, the glue isn't very waterproof and the inner soles come loose with hard use.
Old 08-19-15, 07:35 PM
one4smoke

Does anyone have any experience or an opinion of these:

Forté Campus Pedals
Old 08-19-15, 08:11 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am firmly in the platform pedal camp. If I had a road bike and was involved in club rides and competition then it would be a different story,
but I ride for fitness and fun. Clip less pedals are not needed for my type of riding. As far as feeling secure and having the feet gripping solidly
to the pedal' the platform has come a long way. check these out.
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-153054...latform+pedals
Old 08-19-15, 08:19 PM
MRT2

Forté Campus Pedals
They look identical to Wellgo SPD pedals. I have used both Wellgo and Shimano. Shimano looks a little nicer but Wellgo works just as well.
Old 08-19-15, 08:49 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Forté Campus Pedals
Look about the same as the Shimano? Those can be had for about $5 more with free shipping.
Old 08-19-15, 10:37 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
But your foot can slip off the pedal with platforms. I recommend toe clips, ones without straps.

The decision for clipless pedals is a bit like arguing if chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla. Personal preference involved.
Old 08-20-15, 06:42 AM
Bike Life

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950 MTB, 1991 Schwinn Crosscut, 2015 Trek 520,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I crashed 2 weeks ago because I couldn't unclip fast enough (not the first time by a damn site!) but I have been using them for 20 years and couldn't imagine riding without them. They lift my performance level by a large percentage.
Old 08-20-15, 06:44 AM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by a1penguin
But your foot can slip off the pedal with platforms. I recommend toe clips, ones without straps.

The decision for clipless pedals is a bit like arguing if chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla. Personal preference involved.
The preference between whether you do or don't need the performance advantage of using clipless pedals, or toeclips with straps and blocks. With both you can use the upstroke to input power. Especially useful accelerating away from lights or climbing.

It's more like a choice between diet and normal icecream.
Old 08-20-15, 12:33 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ess+pedal+fail
Old 08-21-15, 08:45 AM
Midlife1960

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm fairly new to biking - In NYC so riding through some traffic to get to Central Park or other paths is necessary. I have a Trek 7.4. I just put Shimano A520 clipless pedals and got a pair of Botrager Solstice shoes (about 10 days ago). Clipping in and out for traffic lights is pretty easy and intuitive for me (though I have almost tipped over a couple of times - so there is a bit of a learning curve getting used to them). What I've found is that not only does it make my pedaling more efficient, it also works different muscles in my thighs and calves. I'm personally feeling as if I'm getting a better workout with the clipless than with platforms. One nice thing about these pedals is that they are double sided so I should be able to use them with just a regular running shoe, too. Some reviews complain that this requires the rider to look at the pedal when trying to clip in but that has not been my experience. And with the width of the pedal I have not experienced any hot spots. Just FYI my typical ride is about 20 to 25 miles. I have yet to do any long distance riding as (again) I'm pretty new to this and still working on the engine.
Old 08-21-15, 11:39 AM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another Shimano A520 fan here. I ride clipped in most of the time but occasionally jump on the bike for short rides wearing my athletic shoes and use the non-clip side. I never have to look at the pedal to get the correct side.
Old 08-21-15, 11:54 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After avoiding clipping in for months when I first started riding, I finally did. Now a year plus later, I have trouble riding a bike without being clipping in. It feels like your feet can slip off any any time, so you have to ride much more carefully. I really dislike the feeling now.

I set my clip tension pretty low. So it holds me in under normal riding conditions, but if I start to fall over, it pops right out.

I've only ever used SPD's on all my bikes and I wish I would have done it sooner. My girlfriend had the exact same experience. She used to say no way, now everyone she talks to about it, she says you should do it immediately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.