Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Gaming PC experts

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Gaming PC experts

Old 04-09-17, 04:38 AM
Lazyass

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts
Gaming PC experts

I'm looking to get a pre-built budget gaming PC and I need some opinions because I'm not the most knowledgeable person. I personally don't spend hours a day playing games, but my main game is Skyrim. I'll probably get some FPS games as well. I also want it for my grandson who is over all the time. At the moment his favorite is Minecraft but that changes monthly haha. I actually want to use a spare bedroom and get a nice setup going. But I'm looking at a ton of them on ebay and I was wondering if this would be good to start with (I can upgrade stuff if needed later).

These are the minimum requirements for Skyrim Special Edition but I want to run it at high quality:

Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-2400/AMD FX-8320.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB /AMD R9 290 4GB

Video cards are my biggest confusion, how many monitors you can use, fans, ect. And I know good ones are expensive. I'm sure my grandson will want a couple of monitors.
Old 04-09-17, 08:00 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The R7 GPU listed is integrated in the processor. Although it can play games it wont be able to at any decent settings or high resolution. 1080p would see playable frame rates at medium to low settings but Skyrim demands a large texture library and this system would inevitably fall behind. If you are multi monitor gaming this system will not keep up.

What is your budget?
Old 04-09-17, 10:32 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dedicated GTX1050 system $599.99 that will run what you want quite well.

Dedicated GTX1060 system $819.99 which will run Skyrim extremely well.

Buying computers is like buying bikes. That second one is by a huge manufacturer of computer components. They stand behind their products, I know this as I use Asus motherboards and graphics cards. So, aftermarket support and warranty is crucial. I don't know if you will get that with an E-Bay purchase.

Last edited by king_boru; 04-09-17 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-09-17, 11:19 AM
J.Higgins 

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Peter Mooney

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 160 Posts
I'm no expert, but I have built a few gaming machines for myself. I'm not an FPS-type of player, but I do play MMOs, and have been playing EQ since beta. I've been through a few machines, so here is what I recommend.

Get yourself familiar with how to build a nice pc.

I prefer Itel quad-core or better. Buy once, cry once. I've had it with AMD.

Get the best smoking hot nvidia card you can afford. Make sure its got a sh*t-ton of video ram on it.

Get two (2), did I say two? Yes, TWO SSD drives and set them up raid. The last pc I built has two 1Tb SSDs, and man this thing flies.

I'm of the opinion that you cant go wrong with 32gb of RAM

Last but not least, get yourself a good chip and a really good cooler.

Shop wisely, and you'll have all this for under $1000.

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending" -C.S. Lewis

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 04-09-17, 11:33 AM
Lazyass

Bikes: Vintage steel, aluminum, modern carbon disc, single speed, MTB's, the works

Originally Posted by king_boru View Post
The R7 GPU listed is integrated in the processor. Although it can play games it wont be able to at any decent settings or high resolution. 1080p would see playable frame rates at medium to low settings but Skyrim demands a large texture library and this system would inevitably fall behind. If you are multi monitor gaming this system will not keep up.

What is your budget?
I don't really have a budget, but my home PC (that I use mostly for the internet) is 7 years old and I want to replace it. I figured get something decent so I can use it to play games. But I can't see myself spending a fortune when all I really play is Skyrim, I'm not some hard core gamer. Would something like I posted be okay to start out on and be good to upgrade in the future if needed? I don't know much about motherboards and cases and all that so I'm not sure if I would be able to upgrade to a dedicated video card or whatever.
Old 04-09-17, 11:46 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll be able to upgrade it in the future. It uses a FM2A88M Pro3+ according to the specs listed which has a PCI-E x3 slot. However you will be limited to a lower TDP graphics card as it only has a 500w power supply. Which in itself isn't specc'ed. This may be of sub par performance and may lead to a future upgrade as well. But to answer your question, yes, you could upgrade in the future.
Old 04-09-17, 11:58 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl View Post

I prefer Itel quad-core or better. Buy once, cry once. I've had it with AMD.
AMD offer a solid platform for both CPU's and GPU's. In fact, the latest Ryzen CPU is by in large a much better solution for dollar per clock than Intel. Inevitably the difference of 10fps on average in most games is hardly worth the $100's more in expense. The RX480 and new Ryzen 1700 have proven this. The RX480 is a very capable and very affordable graphics card. What may I ask is the story leading up to your dislike for AMD?

Get the best smoking hot nvidia card you can afford. Make sure its got a sh*t-ton of video ram on it.
Video ram isn't everything. It is the throughput. You can have 8GB of ram on a card with terrible throughput that is outperformed by a 4GB card with an efficient throughput.

Get two (2), did I say two? Yes, TWO SSD drives and set them up raid. The last pc I built has two 1Tb SSDs, and man this thing flies.
The majority of RAID is software based. A true RAID setup is quite expensive. There is also redundancy to consider. If it is your only computer and you run a RAID 0 setup you increase your chances of losing everything in a catastrophic failure of either drive. An SSD is plenty fast by itself. The gains in a proper RAID setup are not that beneficial to a personal computer.

I'm of the opinion that you cant go wrong with 32gb of RAM
What do you do that requires 32GB of RAM? I bet 75% of it is never used. 16 is plenty. Especially for a non intensive home computer. Heck, 8 is enough.

Last but not least, get yourself a good chip and a really good cooler.
By chip I assume you mean CPU? In that case I'd research benchmarks in the software you use and choose one that gives you the best bang for your buck. That could be AMD or Intel. As for coolers the stock one is usually sufficient given good case airflow. In fact clean off the stock thermal compound and put some Arctic Silver 5 on there.
Old 04-09-17, 02:16 PM
J.Higgins 

I better stop giving advice now.

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending" -C.S. Lewis

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 04-09-17, 02:32 PM
king_boru
The Moose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I better stop giving advice now.
Why? Just trying to have a conversation. Don't get to talk geek to a lot of people.
Old 04-09-17, 02:50 PM
J.Higgins 

Yeah maybe I'm too sensitive. Time for a beer. Want one?

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 04-09-17, 03:12 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by king_boru View Post
Dedicated GTX1050 system $599.99 that will run what you want quite well.

Dedicated GTX1060 system $819.99 which will run Skyrim extremely well.

Buying computers is like buying bikes. That second one is by a huge manufacturer of computer components. They stand behind their products, I know this as I use Asus motherboards and graphics cards. So, aftermarket support and warranty is crucial. I don't know if you will get that with an E-Bay purchase.
There are companies like "Cyberpower" that mostly use standard/reasonable parts that might be cheaper than "first tier" brands but not quite as sketchy-seeming as other brands.
Old 04-09-17, 04:35 PM
king_boru
The Moose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah maybe I'm too sensitive. Time for a beer. Want one?
Would love one. Boddingtons if ya have it.

I didnt mean to come across like that either,... probably me too,... sorry.

Last edited by king_boru; 04-09-17 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 05:15 PM
stardognine

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 196 Posts
I'm not exactly an "expert", lol, but I've built a few 'puters over the years. Don't be in too big a rush, do your homework first. Start with the basics, like a case with good airflow, and a good power supply, with a warranty. I also think Intel & Nvidia is the better choice, they each have a better track record over the last several years, which also means more money is spent on development. Get a good mother board, from a well known company, and you'll be able to skimp a little now, on RAM, video card, etc, if needed, then upgrade those parts later, if needed. The most important things, like I say, are the power supply & motherboard. Everything else can start out slow, and get upgraded later.
Old 04-10-17, 06:22 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 95 Posts
Totally would NOT suggest buying the "newest" model of prebuilt for what you are wanting. I would not suggest going with anything using integrated graphics either.

For your needs, an "FX" model of AMD with a decent mid range card should work fine. Even better, go with a 4/5/6th gen Core i5/7 setup with a mid range video card. Make sure to do some research on the pre built machines you are looking at for specifics like particular models of video cards the mobo is locked to (looking at you Dell), or strange form factor power supply, etc. It can be a PITA to replace parts on items that are off standard.
If you are at all computer savvy, mechanically inclined, or can read instructions, putting together your own box can save you a butt load of money. Even if you aren't....buying up front with an "platter" HD instead of SSD, and less RAM than you want and adding can save a good deal of money. Also, putting the video card in yourself is a good way to select a good card for the money and save up front.

Edit- I have a computer in house with an a8 7600 like the one you posted. It currently has a GTX 750ti in it. It works SUPER well for being an HTPC, and works ok on medium settings with older titles. I am not able to play newer games without turning the settings WAY down when using resolutions over 720. I start getting CPU use warnings.
I would also point out that the Ebay seller there is using a grouping of parts that likely cost him sub $250 and does NOT include the OS.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 04-10-17 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-10-17, 06:51 AM
late

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 9314 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 40 Posts
My 2 cents...

Wait.

This summer the new AMD cards come out, and I like them a little better than Nvidia cards.

In computers under a grand, you're looking for a deal that's still going to be reliable for you. Which is where I think you ought to be, in the 800-1K area.

I would suspect the Ryzen cpus will be cheaper by summer. At that point, they might make sense in a budget build.

I have played Skyrim a lot. In fact, you can find a couple threads I started about it in the archives. One of the things you should know is that Skyrim is flexible. The base game is not hard to run for all but the cheapest computers now. But very few run the base game. Most upgraded to the new version. And you can add on to that in a variety of ways. I have programs that show the arrows you've shot, and improve the graphics in a variety of ways.
That would be tough for a budget computer.

Which brings me to my point. The reason I upped your budget was to get you into the 1060 level of performance. That's a great card for a 1920x1080 monitor.

But I'd still wait and see how things look in a couple months when the new AMD cards come out.

The Tech Report System Guide: March 2017 edition - The Tech Report - Page 1

Last edited by late; 04-10-17 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-12-17, 07:51 AM
Lazyass

I've been doing some research on a build, feel free to critique. Still confused on a few things, especially what kind of tower I really need. Below is what I've come up with so far minus a few obvious things like memory. Trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Intel Core i5-7600K $240

Enermax Ostrog GT ATX Mid Tower $70

Z170I Gaming Pro ITX motherboard $160

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB $50

Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-850M 850W $120

MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 6GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-E Video $300

Total $620 and counting...
Old 04-12-17, 10:12 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Unless you are planning on playing with overclocking, don't spend extra on "K" (unlocked) processors and "gaming" chipsets.
Old 04-12-17, 10:22 AM
stardognine

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Unless you are planning on playing with overclocking, don't spend extra on "K" (unlocked) processors and "gaming" chipsets.
Agree, those items are generally for young adults, trying to impress each other. Pretty good choices, overall, but now try shopping around for the best prices, making sure you buy from reputable sellers. Even the best companies have lemons once in awhile, so be sure the seller has a good return policy.
Old 04-12-17, 10:30 AM
J.Higgins 

Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post
I've been doing some research on a build, feel free to critique. Still confused on a few things, especially what kind of tower I really need. Below is what I've come up with so far minus a few obvious things like memory. Trying to keep the cost down as much as possible.

Intel Core i5-7600K $240

MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 6GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-E Video $300

I got an AZZA full-sized mid-tower (weird), but its got like 4 fans and LOTS of room for stuff.

Get a big power supply.

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 04-12-17, 01:09 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

If you aren't already familiar with it, go check PCPartsBuilder (dot) They have a tool that allows you to plug in the various parts you are looking at to see if there are any issues, etc. Loads of reviews and other peoples builds to look through. Highly suggested.
Old 04-12-17, 01:33 PM
late

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 9314 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass View Post

Intel Core i5-7600K $240

Newegg has a power supply calculator, it's extremely conservative, so you could add on to the build later without giving it a second thought. I had to guess on some of the parts, but a 400 watt PSU would be adequate, but a 500 watt would let you add a lot more stuff. I just got a 750 because I expect to do SLI, and I kinda overcooked my last one. 850 is overkill. This is what I got.. Corsair RM750x Gold. Which is also pretty much overkill. Don't go over 600.

The mobo is where you have to pay attention to the details. Why put a mini-ITX in a mid-tower?? You will have more choices in the standard size, and it's less likely you will have problems. I don't think ASUS is what it used to be. I got a very expensive mobo from them, and it didn't last 2 years. I recently got a video card from them and it didn't last a week (although that may have been my fault, old power supply).

I like Gigabyte now. I plan on getting one of their GA-270 boards. If you want to keep SLI as a possibility you have to pick Nvidia or AMDs Crossfire. If you're getting that 7600K, you will want a good heatsink. That can be a problem with a mini-IX. It is sometimes a problem with the really big boards. But you'll be fine with an ATX.

Here's one in the good but cheap category..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You didn't talk ram. I'm a big fan of 32, but 16 is fine. I am told Corsair is the way to go, but truthfully, I've not yet bought ram from them. There isn't much to be gained from super fast ram, not that you save much getting slower.

You didn't mention a SSD, I got one a year ago. It's definitely faster than a HD, not as big a difference as I was hoping, but I am planning on getting another one when I get off the fence.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRE5UE...ding=UTF8&th=1

Here are some ideas on cases..
The Tech Report System Guide: March 2017 edition - The Tech Report - Page 7

Personally, I like Lian Li cases. They make Alu cases that are light. Their entry level case is pretty basic, but it's not terribly expensive, and it makes the thing a lot easier to schlepp around.
https://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-PC-A0...ywords=lian+li

Unlike the other guys, I think the 7600K is an excellent choice.

Bon chance, mon ami.
Old 09-26-18, 04:18 PM
Lazyass

So to update over a year later, after the maddening Windows 10 updates ruined my laptop I did extensive research and built my own budget gaming PC for @ $300.

Zondda-O case, Windows 7, i5 750, 200g SSD, 750g HD, GTX1060 SC 6G, 8G Ram, blah, blah, blah. I also got an outstanding Asus MG248 monitor that cost about as much as the PC. It is a very killer setup, I'm hitting over 130fps on Skyrim, and on a shooter (CS:GO) it's actually showing almost 300fps, not that I know how that's possible. 8G of ram seems to be fine but I might bump it up to 16 later, and I may end up getting an i7 since they're getting cheap. But right now it's more than enough for me. My 8 year old grandson addicted to Fortnite played it on my rig and he almost peed his pants. I told him when he shows me straight A's on his report card we'll build him one.
Old 09-27-18, 07:56 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

How did you come by the 1060 for so little? Your budget should barely have bought that card.

Looks pretty solid, if aged a bit.
Old 09-28-18, 04:07 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
How did you come by the 1060 for so little? Your budget should barely have bought that card.

Looks pretty solid, if aged a bit.
An owner of a local computer store hooked me up with his used one. He bought some new one that just came out for himself that cost $1200.
Old 10-05-18, 09:44 AM
kellyon
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in the same boat. Want to built a budget gaming PC too. I've checked reviews about best NAS hard drives recently and now I'm thinking of buying Seagate IronWolf additionally. It provides high workload rates (essentially a high MTBF rating) in harsh conditions over time, more info available on this website.

Last edited by kellyon; 10-05-18 at 12:08 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.