Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kickstand for a bike without a mounting bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 04:59 PM
ryanmm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've attached a couple pictures of that frame area. Is there any way to install a center-mount kickstand? I hope to avoid
the sort that clamps to the chainstay.

The bike is a Raleigh Cadent 3.

Old 04-17-20, 05:58 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
There are rear stay mounted kickstands that fit at the point where the 2 stays meet at the dropout. Look for pletscher multi or multi zoom.
https://www.pletscher.ch/index.php/e...nds-en#P10Tab1
But it doesn't always work for every bike. It depends on the angle of your stays. Mine made it stick out too much and I would kick it with my heel.
Old 04-18-20, 04:07 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
If you must use a kickstand, DO NOT use the style that uses a plate behind the bottom bracket. Your frame is aluminum and would likely be irreversibly damaged. Use a rear triangle mount as recommended above.
Old 04-18-20, 05:53 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
carry a toe clip strap and secure your front wheel to the fork blade. a kickstand will only crush your chainstays over time.
Old 04-18-20, 06:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I typically use a Greenfield with the offset upper plate to clear FD cables.
I always cut up an inner tube or rubber gasket material and glue it to both pieces where it contacts the frame. This allows you to not have to crank it down to "stay crushing" levels and remain in place.
I've also been known to saw a groove in the plate as required for FD cables to operate smoothly.

Welcome to Greenfield Industries, Inc. - Freeport, New York - Quality U.S.A. Die Caster
Old 04-18-20, 08:51 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I typically use a Greenfield with the offset upper plate to clear FD cables.
I always cut up an inner tube or rubber gasket material and glue it to both pieces where it contacts the frame. This allows you to not have to crank it down to "stay crushing" levels and remain in place.
I've also been known to saw a groove in the plate as required for FD cables to operate smoothly.

Welcome to Greenfield Industries, Inc. - Freeport, New York - Quality U.S.A. Die Caster
Pletscher make plastic saddles to help keep a center kickstand secure without having to overtighten the bolt and squash the stays: https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...nt=23336090241 I prefer the rear-mount type, myself, as do the local police: https://smile.amazon.com/Greenfield-.../dp/B002FVYTLI
Old 04-18-20, 09:02 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
If you must use a kickstand, DO NOT use the style that uses a plate behind the bottom bracket. Your frame is aluminum and would likely be irreversibly damaged. Use a rear triangle mount as recommended above.
Ooooh, thank you, Trakhak! I guess I stand corrected, as I assume EVERYBODY rides a 25-year-old steel mountain bike like I do. Accordingly, I apologize for the bad advice and will immediately delete my posts!

Last edited by Papa Tom; 04-18-20 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-18-20, 09:14 AM
ryanmm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, I talked to a local bike shop and they think a center mount kickstand can be made to work. I'll update this again once one has been installed.