Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice/guidance for first build

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-20, 12:42 AM
MediocreMatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts

Hello,

I've been a long time lurker/researcher of this forum and have come to the point where i would like some feedback that i cant seem to find by browsing others threads. I inherited my father's old trek 2200 road bike from the 90's. I use it as a daily commuter and for exercising, generally averaging no more than 30 miles per ride on relatively flat land. However the original components have begun to naturally deteriorate, mostly due to negligence of basic maintenance. The original components were Shimano 105 RD-1055 w/ Brifters. The brifters have stopped working/no longer shifting. The shifting motion of the levers feels fine and smooth, but its just free motion, not catching or gripping or indexing. I tried replacing cables, adjusting tension, and discovered the limiter screws were stripped. So now I am at the crossroad of replacing the brifters for used ones of the same generation or just upgrading to a more modern groupset. Part of me leans towards a new set, i'm eyeing the Tiagra 4700, budget friendly, but im unsure if that would be considered an upgrade worth it compared to a 20+ year old 105 groupset?

Current State

Before she stopped working

Last edited by MediocreMatt; 06-11-20 at 12:47 AM. Reason: pics
Old 06-11-20, 12:56 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
What wheels are you planning to use? What is your dropout spacing?

My suggestion is to skip over tiagra and go straight to R7000 105. The price difference should be fairly small if you shop around.

Of course, if 4700 works with your current wheels, then the cost difference becomes much more significant.

Also if you have an 8 speed system, I would be curious as to whether you could get modern Shimano Claris brifters instead of NOS. The new R2000 stuff seems pretty slick.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 06-11-20, 01:16 AM
MediocreMatt

Originally Posted by smashndash
What wheels are you planning to use? What is your dropout spacing?

My suggestion is to skip over tiagra and go straight to R7000 105. The price difference should be fairly small if you shop around.

Of course, if 4700 works with your current wheels, then the cost difference becomes much more significant.

Also if you have an 8 speed system, I would be curious as to whether you could get modern Shimano Claris brifters instead of NOS. The new R2000 stuff seems pretty slick.
Thanks for the feedback! I plan on using the same wheels pictured and the bikes original mavic SUP wheels, not pictured. Which is why im considering the 10 speed tiagras over the 11 speed 105's. Also, availability on parts right due to the covid demand is playing a huge role. I feel if im going to purchase modern brifters it would make more sense to just go with a full matching groupset. Current price on Tiagra full groupset minus brakes is $320 shipped or a set of used 105 ST-1055 brifters on ebay for $130+CA tax
Old 06-11-20, 01:39 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by MediocreMatt
Thanks for the feedback! I plan on using the same wheels pictured and the bikes original mavic SUP wheels, not pictured. Which is why im considering the 10 speed tiagras over the 11 speed 105's. Also, availability on parts right due to the covid demand is playing a huge role. I feel if im going to purchase modern brifters it would make more sense to just go with a full matching groupset. Current price on Tiagra full groupset minus brakes is $320 shipped or a set of used 105 ST-1055 brifters on ebay for $130+CA tax
Dang. Even a set of R2000 shifters would run you $100-$150. Hardly worth it. I guess that’s how they get you.

The Tiagra FD is the weak link of that group. The “long arm” design needs an inline barrel adjuster and can cause issues with initial force and tire clearance. I would consider a 5801 FD if the 4700 gives you issues.

Besides that, it seems like Tiagra is functionally quite similar to 105. So I approve.

It’s also worth mentioning the that the latest generation of beefy SLR-EV brakes from Shimano are some of the best ever created. 4700 does not give you that.
Old 06-11-20, 03:39 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The brifters have stopped working/no longer shifting. The shifting motion of the levers feels fine and smooth, but its just free motion, not catching or gripping or indexing.
The grease inside can get waxy, sticky with age. A liberal internal application of WD-40 or similar will often get the pawls to engage again.
I’ve read about someone soaking the whole brifter in kerosene but Haven’t tried it myself.
Old 06-14-20, 01:15 AM
MediocreMatt

Originally Posted by smashndash
Dang. Even a set of R2000 shifters would run you $100-$150. Hardly worth it. I guess that’s how they get you.

The Tiagra FD is the weak link of that group. The “long arm” design needs an inline barrel adjuster and can cause issues with initial force and tire clearance. I would consider a 5801 FD if the 4700 gives you issues.

Besides that, it seems like Tiagra is functionally quite similar to 105. So I approve.

It’s also worth mentioning the that the latest generation of beefy SLR-EV brakes from Shimano are some of the best ever created. 4700 does not give you that.
really appreciate all of the information you have given me. Thanks for the help!

With that I went ahead and took the plunge on the tiagra set for $320 minus the brakes. i feel good about this decision.

I currently have a set of Dura-Ace BR-7403 brake calipers. i going to run with these for the time being.

Well the positive of the weak FD is that a FD's are generally inexpensive if happen to run into trouble.

Installing the components tomrrow. Will update with pictures
Old 06-14-20, 01:18 AM
MediocreMatt

Originally Posted by dabac
The grease inside can get waxy, sticky with age. A liberal internal application of WD-40 or similar will often get the pawls to engage again.
I’ve read about someone soaking the whole brifter in kerosene but Haven’t tried it myself.
Now that i have purchased a whole new groupset, i may take your advice on the WD-40 and hopefully revive them. I dont think i will go as far as soaking in kerosene, though.
Old 06-14-20, 01:29 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Now that i have purchased a whole new groupset, i may take your advice on the WD-40 and hopefully revive them. I dont think i will go as far as soaking in kerosene, though.
My SO has returning ideas of starting a more active life that would include cycling. So years ago I built her a flat bar bike using old LX shifters.
These have gotten quite ”mature” by now.
It’ll usually take me 2-3 hours of brief visits, squirt of lube, exercising the shifters to wake them up after their winter slumber.
The total time spent on the shifters is maybe 10 minutes.
I’ve had better payoff from the distributed applications rather than doing one concentrated session.
Old 06-18-20, 11:34 PM
MediocreMatt

Tiagra's installed. An amazon carbon seat post. And some Conti Gators.

Currently waiting for a spoke key, pedals and trying out some saddles

Still have to dial in the brakes, wrap the bars and figure out how to true the front wheel. It has about 2mm worth of movement.

Local bike shops are booked a month out for repairs/tunes.

Old 06-18-20, 11:38 PM
MediocreMatt

Originally Posted by dabac
My SO has returning ideas of starting a more active life that would include cycling. So years ago I built her a flat bar bike using old LX shifters.
These have gotten quite ”mature” by now.
It’ll usually take me 2-3 hours of brief visits, squirt of lube, exercising the shifters to wake them up after their winter slumber.
The total time spent on the shifters is maybe 10 minutes.
I’ve had better payoff from the distributed applications rather than doing one concentrated session.
I jetted the brifters with wd40 and let them sit overnight. They began to shift again.

I've made 2 applications so far over 2 nights and they are still a bit clunky and doesnt engage 15-20% of the time, but they are alive.

Hoping to revive these. I would like to keep the bike original if possible.