Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clipless pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Clipless pedals

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 06:48 AM
Rs18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clipless pedals

Hi guys, just got my first clipless pedals for a roadbike, Shimano spd sl ones, and was wondering if there was a way to keep the pedals horizontal when I'm not clipped in? They always seem to fall into a vertical position, because the back is obviously bigger than the front of the pedal. Is there a way to overcome this or is it just something you get used to? Thanks
Old 06-28-20, 07:33 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Just something you get used to. After a few (or many) miles it will become second nature. Many of us have been through the clipless pedal training period. Set the release spring to the lightest tension and practice in a grassy field as you may tend to get stuck in the pedals when stopping and tip over for the first few tries. Don't get discouraged if it takes a little while to master your clipless pedals.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-28-20, 08:02 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
The format of those pedals is a lot like the original LOOK Delta format that I have used since the beginning. Like suggested above, I think eventually you become accustomed to (i.e. precisely aware of) the exact placement of the cleat. Then, using the front of the cleat like a hook, you'll be able to stick it right into the front side of the pedal as it hangs horizontally. I can't say for sure...but I kinda think that maybe they were designed to hang that way. Any other way would creat even more difficulty to clip in. Adding counter-balance weight, they probably could design it to continually be horizontal as the pedals rotate. But that would add significant weight which, of course, bicyclists mostly despise. There are pedal brands that provide "clipping" in at any position.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_: