Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to bike with nut axle on a bike trainer?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 02:39 PM
bike2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I hope everyone is having a great summer.

First of all, I don't know much about the bike. I wanted to have an indoor cycle. I thought I would buy a bike and install on a trainer because it was more affordable and I would like to ride a bike outside sometimes.
I bought a used bike yesterday. It doesn't have a quick release. I googled and learned that it has an axle if I'm correct.
Now.. I think I bought a wrong bike and I was looking for how to switch an axle to a skewer.
It seems like that I have to dissemble the wheel with few professional tools. I'm afraid I don't have any of those tools and I don't understand wheel assembly very well.
I was looking at the picture of the trainer that I was planning to order and was wandering if it would just work without switching the axle to a skewer.
Could anyone please share any insights? I would really appreciate it.

This is the bike I bought.
imgur.com/Z4aLbqk

This is the bike trainer I was thinking to buy.
imgur.com/WDCXL6A

Thank you!
Old 07-06-20, 02:47 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I use a 1973 Schwinn continental with bolt on axles in my rear wheel trainer. My stuff looks like what you have, except for the thick layer of grease that you will want to clean off before you bring that bike in the house.

Your stuff should work fine together.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 07-06-20 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-06-20, 03:45 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I used to ride bolt axle bikes on a trainer. You don't need to switch to QR but maybe it depends on your exact trainer.
Old 07-07-20, 10:29 AM
bike2020

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply!

I’m still not sure and hesitant. But I appreciate your response! Thank you so much.
Old 07-08-20, 06:18 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I think it MIGHT depend on the trainer. The manual for my trainer "strongly recommends" use of their skewer, for instance. That said, the skewer on my wife's hybrid appears very similar and works fine on the trainer so WTF knows?
Old 07-08-20, 06:39 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The axle will be fine, but the tires appear to have a knobby tread. They will be very noisy on the trainer
Old 07-08-20, 01:12 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
My trainer has almost the exact same wheel retention as the one referenced, and it works fine on a nutted axle. What __might__ present an issue is the hanger plate for the derailleur. My bike has a derailleur hanger as part of the dropout, so the retention "cup" thingy presses right against the dropout. In your case, the bolt that holds the derailleur hanger, just aft of the axle, might interfere with the retention mechanism for the trainer. The retention cup does look like it has a cut-out that is usually there to accomodate a QR skewer lever, but it's possible that could be used to provide clearance for that hanger bolt. If need be, it might even work to expand that cut-out a little.