Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Moving brake lever to right side -adapting

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 12:44 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts

I want to move my front brake lever to the right. I don't want to swap my brake levers on my freewheel bike which I ride 20% of the time.

I use my front brake more than a lot of fixed gear riders - for my knees and so I can stop hard and fast and save tires.

Questions:
Will I quickly adapt to new position on the fixed gear bike? That is when I get in an emergency stop situation in the first few weeks will I forget.

Will I adapt switching between my other bikes with levers reversed?

Yeah I know I can try it and find out, but each swap means re-wrapping bars.

Al
Old 11-15-05, 12:56 PM
dogpound
1 trick pony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mines on the right, no problem
Old 11-15-05, 01:00 PM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no experience in this, but I'd certainly switch on all my bikes at the same time. It's enough to pull the wrong one too hard once...

Well, actually, I'd leave the levers as they are now.
Old 11-15-05, 01:05 PM
vobopl
re:member

Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I want to move my front brake lever to the right. I don't want to swap my brake levers on my freewheel bike which I ride 20% of the time.

I use my front brake more than a lot of fixed gear riders - for my knees and so I can stop hard and fast and save tires.

Questions:
Will I quickly adapt to new position on the fixed gear bike? That is when I get in an emergency stop situation in the first few weeks will I forget.

Al
I do not think riding diffrent setups with different bikes is such a good idea. I run my emergency front brake lever on my fix on the left.
On the other hand after first half mile I no longer try to stop/slow with my legs on my road bike, nor I fumble for hand brake on a fix. Somehow you are subconciously aware what bike are you on.
Old 11-15-05, 01:06 PM
The LT
spin

Bikes: raleigh m-60, azonic steelhead, schwinn world sport fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my levers the regular way on my ss MTB but the front brake is on the right on my fixie I have no problems going back and forth...although my MTB is basically only used on the trails
Old 11-15-05, 01:16 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Hey, I appreciate the responses! Makes me think twice about doing it. The only reasons was so I could mount a mirror into the end of the left side of my bullhorns which the TT lever is now occupying.

Al
Old 11-15-05, 02:20 PM
eddiebrannan

Bikes: DW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when i had a brake on my bike it was on the right. reason being my last bike was a dj set-up, rear brake only, so i got used to the idea of my right being my braking hand. if i was switching between bikes and one was going to stay on the left i wouldn't do it.
Old 11-15-05, 02:41 PM
zip22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't think it will be bad at all. if you get used to the fixed setup, you'll accidently squeeze your rear brake on the road bike. its not like that will kill you, and i'm sure you'll notice, and catch on to use the front as well in most situations. and on your fixed, it'll be pretty hard to mess up, since theres only one lever.
Old 11-15-05, 02:58 PM
lz4005
coasterbrakelockup

Bikes: surly steamroller w/coaster brake, electra single speed cruiser, specialized rockhopper commuter, no-name single speed folder, 700c ultimate wheel, 24" unicycle, specialized bmx lsd, single seat single speed huffy tandem, pink upsidedown parade bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run the front brake on the right on all my bikes that have front brakes so they'll match the setup on my motorcycle. Was too confusing otherwise. But that is just me, you'll never know for yourself until you try.
Old 11-15-05, 03:21 PM
TN!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i used to have the lever on the left until it snapped...? got an old bmx lever for the right nd no problem there
Old 11-15-05, 03:29 PM
gorn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built my fixie up days before moving off to school, without my road bike. Fixie is right hand front brake, road bike is normal (left front). Once during the first week on the fixie, I grabbed for both brakes, even though there wasn't one to grab on the left (Didn't squeeze the front brake too hard or anything, just my left hand kinda flinched). I was off the road bike for a couple of weeks, but was home and rode it, the only time the brake position screwed me up was when I was about to start, and I grabbed the right brake and leaned forwards, to lift the rear wheel off the ground so I could adjust my pedal position. I quickly realized that I was grabbing the rear brake, not the front, and that I can back pedal on the road bike.

You'll be fine.
Old 11-15-05, 03:39 PM
heebro
Senior Moment

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog, Gunnar Roadie, Lotus Elan FG Conversion (in pieces), Trek 850 Antelope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Questions:

Al
No. You will not adapt, and you will most certainly die undeneath a metro bus.

Seriously though, you should be fine. I switch bars, bikes, etc often enough and haven't had any problems.
Although I suppose it could happen, I'm just too lazy to move things around sometimes.
Old 11-15-05, 04:37 PM
sxe fbm rider

Bikes: Fbm Night Train, Fixed Club Fuji(so sexy).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bmx lever on the right.
Old 11-15-05, 06:04 PM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
I run the front brake on the right because I was used to that from motorcycling, but it works well for me for a couple of other reasons too. mainly if I am carrying something, or towing another bike by the stem I use my left hand for that. going down hills with extra weight, and only 1 brake it really NEEDS to be the front brake.
Old 11-15-05, 06:26 PM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I run opposite setups on my fixed gears and road bike. I have not died. Go for it.
Old 11-15-05, 08:41 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by bostontrevor
I run opposite setups on my fixed gears and road bike. I have not died. Go for it.
Most pratical advice yet! I may give it a go after all.

Al
Old 11-15-05, 08:49 PM
chuckfox
'possum killer

Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
I run right-hand front on my fixie. Left-hand front on geared bikes. I haven't had a bit of problems adapting. Forgetting I can't coast on the fixie...that's almost thrown me a few times.