Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What kind of commuter are you?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What kind of commuter are you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 12:27 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Be honest... How many people commute despite rain or worse yet, snow? Fair weather's all good and well but when the weather turns...
Old 01-11-06, 12:36 PM
Jarery

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im an old and bitter commuter.
And at 24 days of straight rain, im getting to be a waterlogged and even more bitter commuter

I dont have gear for snow, so unless its a light sprinkling, thats all that stops me.
Old 01-11-06, 12:36 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I've been commuting since the end of May. North Texas is having a huge drought. I've had one day of rain and one and a half days of sleet since I started commuting. I was on the bike through it all.
Old 01-11-06, 12:37 PM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Be honest... How many people commute despite rain or worse yet, snow? Fair weather's all good and well but when the weather turns...
i ride when it's snowing, but i often don't ride the day AFTER a big snow, when the sun comes out and the streets are a gunky slushy mess.

i don't mind light/medium rain. usually in the summer where i live storms pass in about 20 minutes, and i work on a hill so i can watch which way the weather is moving

i don't mind the cold weather, and been doing my commute so long the heavy north winds aren't a big deal either.

but if it's really miserable with stagnant AM rain showers i'll bus. it's a change of pace and i can read
Old 01-11-06, 12:41 PM
noriel
Honking drivers see you

Bikes: Fuji Track, KHS Witch Doctor, Balance AL 750, Tank Mod Trials Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
everyday here, either the bike breaks down or I do. I've got more bikes, though, so if I'm out, the bikes starve. Kinda easy commuting in Houston, weather-wise. Loving this cheap merino wool.
Old 01-11-06, 12:44 PM
ghettocruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm all about the cold and steady rain these days.

And riding in snow and freezing rain I generally get to the office at least 90 minutes ahead of the next earliest car-driving person.
Old 01-11-06, 12:54 PM
* jack *

Bikes: more, please.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I usually ride in all but the most extreme weather conditions...
I have a short commute, so I don't mind suffering a bit
Old 01-11-06, 12:56 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I commute in the worst of winters, even when it dips below freezing.
I'll ride in the worst of rains from steady winter 40F showers to August thunderstorms with thick blowing dust that drop the temp from 115F to 110F as they blow thru
There is no upper temp that will stop me.
Snow? Ha ha ha ha.

Al
Old 01-11-06, 01:06 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't own a car and I'd MUCH rather ride than take the bus on nasty days. The bus is horrible when it's wet out (fogged up windows, no place to sit, everyone is grouchy, takes forever). If I'm going to be in a foul mood anyway I'd rather be alone on my bike.
Old 01-11-06, 01:07 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No ride days:
-- rain in am [pm is ok]
-- snow, snow debrie on roads
-- lightning forecast [summer mostly]
-- days with meetings after work in other cities
-- winds above 40 [used to be 30mph]
-- sick.

Hope to do better this year than last. So far, it's good. Last year 0, zero rides in Jan. This year 5. Natually the nice weather helps.

There was a very good article by an exerise person in parade sunday. Gist was: prepare your script of self talk to counter the inclination NOT to exercise.
Old 01-11-06, 01:07 PM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a wuss. I admire many on here who peddle in very bad weather. I especially admire those who don't own a car.

While I won't let the return trip forecast influence my decision, I won't ride in while it's raining. I wear my work pants and I don't want them wet. If they get wet on the way home, no big deal. One day I might get good rain gear and go in all conditions. I just haven't done it.

While there are a lot of rainy days, that doesn't mean it is raining when I leave my house. I ride in most days.
Old 01-11-06, 01:16 PM
ajay677

Location: For the record, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an idiot.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All season, all weather commuter. I do draw the line at commuting the day of a new accumulation of snow of 5 inches or more and/or when the temperature drops below
-25 degrees celsius.
Old 01-11-06, 01:19 PM
Refro

Bikes: Gazelle Davos and a Santos mountainbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No weather has prevented me yet from commuting by bike. I'm picked up commuting up since january 2005 and still going strong.

Just pedal and you will get home dispite of the wind and rain. After all the rain i've had it's just a switch i can switch now. Sometimes in the summer when everyone is grouchy because of the rain my smile gets bigger every mile by looking at the grouchy faces.
Old 01-11-06, 01:20 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
When it snows or even rains hard here, large sections of the metro area go into gridlock. My bike, with studs, has far better ice and snow traction than my car. Also, having paid nearly $5,000 to fix the rust on my car some time ago, I am very relutant to drive in salt.

The only time I take my car is when I have to go to the airport after work. Driving is just too much of a hassle, even in good weather.

Paul
Old 01-11-06, 01:26 PM
.:Jimbo:.
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im an all season/ weather commuter......i'll ride in rain, snow, hot summer days, if i have somewhere to go, it dosen't matter to me, just have to remember to dress accordingly, but ill admit, on lousy days i'll try not to find a reason to ride.
Additionally if i get the bike courier job im shooting for ill "need" to ride everyday considering that the last time i checked it is a requirement of the job.
btw, why does it seem that all op's are exempt from answering thier own question when they ask one?

Last edited by .:Jimbo:.; 01-11-06 at 01:31 PM.
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather hasn't stopped me, but we haven't been past -30C yet this winter. I like riding in the rain, especially giant puddles - wheeeeee!
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commuted down to 10 degrees F in December. I don't mind the cold. I don't mind the rain. I don't mind the snow. I have not, however, commuted yet the day after a huge snow storm. Drivers are all over the roads that day.
Old 01-11-06, 01:30 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All weather but a few instances.

1) Below 10F. I could ride. Just nervous when it gets this cold
2) If it snowed a significant amount that day or night before. I can handle riding while it is snowing. The mess afterwards is not my idea of fun. Plus, it melts in a day or two around here.

I'm sure there are a few other times I can not think of. Ex: 15F with 50mph winds sounds miserable.

I have the option to work from home on nasty days. I tend to take advantage of this a few times during the year.

Rain was a problem last year. This year I am adding a bit of raingear and plan on riding quite a bit more when it rains.
Old 01-11-06, 01:35 PM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't missed a day due to weather since 2002.
Old 01-11-06, 01:40 PM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I commute year round, I drive if I know I'll be working past 1 AM or if I'm expecting blowing, drifting snow that would hamper visibility as well as traction. So far I've had one night of cycling in sub zero temperatures this winter.

Needless to say I run studded Nokians and have a very good lighting system (Shimano DH-3N71 dynamo hub, Busch & Muller headlight, 5 taillights including the Cateye TL-1000).
Old 01-11-06, 01:45 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by slvoid

Rain and Snow has no effect on me, except I look as it as a Challenge! I see the WIND as more of a PIA then any weather situation! Commuted 100% (by other means) since June 22, 2005.
Other means: Being sick as a Dog, getting better and car pooling to work with G/F.(means: not up to riding in yet! grrr) Winds in Boulder County can be brutal here, can avg about 30 mph then have gusts 70-100mph. Never could understand why they call Chicago the Windy City.

Old 01-11-06, 02:07 PM
jnbacon
Proshpero

Bikes: Fixed Surly CrossCheck, Redline Conquest Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An all-weather commuter here. Last year's extremes were: buckets of rain that filled the streets up to my bottom bracket; 115°F heat; below freezing temps (but it's a dry cold); dust storms. Laziness and boredom are more likely to keep me in!
Old 01-11-06, 02:10 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I basically ride in any weather, but this year I adopted a no ice storm rule. The logic for that is that the risk of injury is so high that it is likely to keep me off my bike.

I enjoy riding in storms -- generally speaking, the wilder the better. Close lightning is an exception to that rule.
Old 01-11-06, 02:11 PM
Marylandnewbie

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing that keeps me from bike commuting is illness -- either mine or my bike's. So far this winter has not been much of a challenge.
Old 01-11-06, 02:13 PM
geeklpc1985

Bikes: 2004 Martin Novato w/ 2004 Burley Nomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What stops me....bike not working and I can't fix it on my own, winds that blow me off the road (I turn back), and when I think I have broke a bone or something from the bike accadent from the day before. Also I am car free, so there is no way to drive to school/work.

Super Geek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.