Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

If you've built your own bike for commuting...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

If you've built your own bike for commuting...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 08:44 AM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was it worth it?

I'd like to get a more road-type (or cyclocross type) bike for commuting in nice weather. My main choices seem to be either buy one, probably 800-1000 bucks up front, or build one. If I build one I'd be scrounging to find a "core" bike at a garage sale or something for under $100, then clean it up, paint/fix as necessary, etc. But I'm wondering if I won't wind up spending as much or more than the new bike in order to upgrade it to "as-good-as-new" status?

I don't really care about the "satisfaction of doing it myself" one way or the other. I'm very mechanically inclined so I have no doubts about my ability to rebuild a bike from scratch. I'd just like to hear from those of you who've done this sort of thing, if you think it was worth it and if you'd do it again.

[edit] I should also point out, don't bother to say things like "Just buy the $100 bike, oil the chain, and ride it!" I am not that type of person. I will not do that. If I buy a $100 bike, I'll be upgrading it somehow unless it is a miracle buy in perfect shape.

Last edited by Eggplant Jeff; 01-28-06 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-28-06, 08:55 AM
lxpatterson

Bikes: Bianchi SL2 centuar custom, 85 Trek 720

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
depending on the type of person you are, most cyclists who buy a new bike off the shelf will at some point in time end up rebuilding it. especially commuters. i mean you may find the vbrakes dont fit your rack and you end up buying a set of cantis to put in. and you dont like the depth of the drops, so you scournge up another bar. i find it very hard to love an off the shelf bike. If you dont mind spending the time, you can look for a used cross bike on ebay with a frame you like, and then buy new parts to modify it, selling the parts you are removing. that would probably cost the same as a brand new bike and you would probably like it a lot more.
Old 01-28-06, 08:55 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you come out ahead financially by building your own. Do it if you can't find what you want. Do it just because you want to.

The nice thing about doing it yourself is that you are never done. Trying a new stem or changing gear ratios is not as intimidating if you built it in the first place.
Old 01-28-06, 01:44 PM
2wheeledsoul
Gatoraid powered engine

Bikes: A mixed-breed beater util/commute rigid hybrid I frankensteined out of assorted resqued components, called "Streetdancer". Ugly as sin, yet beautiful in function.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you build up one from an old beater frame, either don't repaint, or repaint from the ol' rattlin' can. The uglier, the better: thieves only bother with shiny like-new bikes (at least around here).
When I built mine, the only things I spent money on was the chain, cassette, cables, brake pads, tires, and bearing sets. Everything else was recycled from dumpstered bikes.

It just depends on how much a cheapskate/tomb raider/evil mad scientist you care to be, and how inventive you can get in building a monster ride.

And also on what brain you've stolen...

BTW, I think I've come out ahead in rolling my own. Less than $50 to build up a mixmaster frankenbeater that puts Texas traffic in bondage, and I can upgrade my monster at any time.

Last edited by 2wheeledsoul; 01-28-06 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-28-06, 03:01 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I liked building mine up from scrounged/donated/garage saled parts. I may have come out a couple hundred ahead, but what I spent, I got to spread out over a 4 month period, while I figured out what I wanted/needed. By the time I got it running, the most I'd spent on it was for bar tape.

Now I have a relatively nice ride, but I'm more attached to it, than if I'd bought it whole, because I've put so much sweat equity into it.

Point: If you like working on a bike, build one. If not, buy it. Hell, buy mine, and I'll start over.
Old 01-28-06, 04:13 PM
Mtn Mike
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't spec your own parts to save money, you do it because 1) you're too picky about the parts you want, and 2) you have parts lying around begging to be used. At one point, I would have been content with an off the shelf bike, but these days I'm way to opinionated about components that I think are worthy. Also, I like to mix and match with the parts in my parts box. All of the bikes that I now own were bought as frames, either new or used, and spec'd with parts from either my collection, or bought new.

The only time I ever saved any money on these ventures was when I bought a "$100" commuter bike on ebay and added my own old parts. I ended up with a very reliable "like new" bike (sorry you said not to say it )
Old 01-28-06, 04:28 PM
Trek Al

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5& 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Trek 520 frame and am building it. Buying mostly new parts so the cost will be very close to a new bike. But I'm putting a lot on "improved parts" that a new one wouldn't have like Sugino crankset, 12-34 cassette, canti brakes. The finished product will be customized for my needs.

Al
Old 01-28-06, 04:49 PM
TheDL
Survival of the Fitest

Bikes: 198? Univega Custom Maxima, 2009 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I built my own. Found a frame, bought the parts, etc. Love it. No way I'd buy off the shelf.

You may not come out ahead financially but you'll come out light years ahead in satisfaction.
Old 01-28-06, 05:25 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built a nice single speed around town/commuter bike this winter. It was a lot of fun, and if you don't think you need shifters, a cassette, derailleur or any of that stuff it is a cheap project indeed! The only things I bought new were the bar tape, two brake cables and a heavy duty track cog that put on an old wheel with some spacers to get the chain line straight. The rest I had laying around.

It rides very well and is fast and light. It isn't practical if you plan on riding in the hills or hauling large loads, but is an option. I rarely shifted beyond one up or one down on my commute anyway...
Old 01-28-06, 07:43 PM
geeklpc1985

Bikes: 2004 Martin Novato w/ 2004 Burley Nomad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy the bike off the shelf. Add what you need for your commute. Thats what I did, but I ended up replacing everything but the frame, set post, and handle bar. I love my bike, and all the extras I have on it. If you let the LBS do it, they will give you a lot of help and good discounts (sp?).

Good Luck,
Super Geek
Old 01-28-06, 08:59 PM
Bottomfeeder
Mr. cost-benefit analysis

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck Single Speed, Novara 9 speed commuter/runabout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I first built my Crosscheck with a 7 speed hub - actually, ordered the wheel set from Kick but wheel builder Mean Todd of WebCyclery in OR. The internally geared hub magic didn't last. So after a year I ordered another rear wheel in order to convert the bike to single speed. Also switched from drops to a mustache handle bar. A while later I picked up double chainrings, a tensioner, a cheap front derailleur and an old friction shifter in order to run two speeds. I've since reverted to single speed. I definitely did not come out money ahead, when compared to buying a single bike off the rack. But if you consider that it's been like 3 bikes, it's not bad at all.

Now if unlike me, you know exactly what you want, I think you can build it from new parts for the same or less than a bike from the LBS. I am always trolling the return section at Nashbar and blow out sales there and at the other big .com retailers. I've seen brand new MTB, cyclocross and road frames (aluminum) for between 1 and 2 hundred. wheels are often cheap, as are sadles, handlebars and other components. I bought a rack for $10. I got Nashbar's house brand clipless pedals for $20. They're 80% as good as the eggbeaters they replaced. You want to run front suspension? They're gonna be blowing out some forks soon. You want to save on some things in order to run the best bottom bracket and cranks possible? Just go with the $10 Shimano V-brakes. I can lock the front wheel with mine. You get the Idea. As opposed to saving money refurbishing old stuff, I'd rather find new cheap stuff. And you can build it just the way you want. And it'll be new and shiny.

DanO
Old 01-28-06, 09:23 PM
Jim-in-Kirkland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How far do you have to commute? Do you know the frame geometry that will work for you and the desired gearing? I would recommend test riding some of the current road bikes out there that can handle full fenders. You might find an older model on sale or slightly used model in the right size.

If you only go 10 miles or so a day and need something to park outside for hours on end - the old beaters described in other posts may be the way to go.

I recently built up my current light touring/comuter bike with a Jamis Aurora frame, used wheels from a Bianchi Volpe, Shimano shifters/derailleurs & RSX Triple crank(24/36/48) but only after riding several years on a used Bianchi road bike and learning how to change the chain & replace/adjust the derailleurs etc...

Good luck.
Old 01-28-06, 09:36 PM
spider-man
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer the build method because I can spec everything exactly the way I want. I also have more faith in handbuilt wheels. Plus using an older frame that already has some nicks in the paint and other road wear provides peace of mind. I'd never ride a bike in perfect shape as a commuter, because it's just not going to be perfect long. I also like older frames.

Then again, I often don't consider switching components true "ungrading."
Old 01-28-06, 10:10 PM
mrkott3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im in the process of rebuilding a lugged 27incher (got it for 2 bottles of beer, and have spent waay too much on it). Its been a good learning experience for me (new to bikes, youngish). And its sweet doing mechanical work. Just waiting for the paint to dry. the paint should turn out ok, its a little bit runny on the forks but the rest of its pretty good

When I eventually buy a decent/new bike. Ill probably end up buying a lot of stuff seperately, Just because its hard to find campy stuff around here. And I want good wheels. So ill probably build a bike up
Old 01-28-06, 10:40 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I happily road an off the shelf MTB which I bought used for years...recreationally. Once a month bike trail stuff.

Once I started riding my bike to work three to five times per week, I began to have ideas about what the bike should be. I now have two bikes (both bought used) which I have customized. What I'm saying is that if you are going to ride it every day, you will want it a certain way.

If you know what you want and can find it in a store, buy it. Most of us discover what we want along the way through trial and error.

My method has been to buy used bikes and gradually replace parts over time as I decided it wasn't quite right.

Edit: Almost all of my replacement parts have been bought new. When I decide I want to make a change, I patiently troll for a good deal on the new parts at bike stores or online stores.

Last edited by squeakywheel; 01-28-06 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-29-06, 01:46 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkott3r
Im in the process of rebuilding a lugged 27incher (got it for 2 bottles of beer, and have spent waay too much on it). Its been a good learning experience for me (new to bikes, youngish). And its sweet doing mechanical work. Just waiting for the paint to dry. the paint should turn out ok, its a little bit runny on the forks but the rest of its pretty good

When I eventually buy a decent/new bike. Ill probably end up buying a lot of stuff seperately, Just because its hard to find campy stuff around here. And I want good wheels. So ill probably build a bike up
I remember your post on the subject! Good on ya - I did the exact same thing, buying a lugged steel 27-inch touring bike, and spending way too much money fixing it up and upgrading it, then upgrading it again... it's a lot of fun, and it has taught me a LOT about bicycles. I haven't done well in terms of saving money, but it's been totally worth it. It's also an addiction... I really want to buy a bare frame and build it up in the next year or two.

I think that it's all about your needs and desires. If you need an inexpensive bike and aren't really picky about the components and don't care about doing all the work, buy a bike. If you don't mind spending more money, really care about the components you're buying, want something truly unique and/or like to work on bikes, buy a frame and spec it out yourself. It definitely costs more to build a bike of equivalent value, but if the bike is worth more to you as a result, than it's definitely worth the price, I think.
Old 01-29-06, 04:26 AM
mrkott3r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I remember your post on the subject! Good on ya - I did the exact same thing, buying a lugged steel 27-inch touring bike, and spending way too much money fixing it up and upgrading it, then upgrading it again... it's a lot of fun, and it has taught me a LOT about bicycles.
while the cost hasnt been too bad for me...way cheaper than a car. (for where I am a bike is just a bit slower) its trying to get the parts I want. The front wheel cones are driving me insane, I cant get ones that fit, either the axle or fit inside the forks. Aaargh. I gotta go see frenchy again tomorrow, and he wont stop talking
Old 01-29-06, 10:17 AM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim-in-Kirkland
How far do you have to commute? Do you know the frame geometry that will work for you and the desired gearing?
9 miles a day at the moment. Might go up if/when I move, but I doubt it would be more than double that.

No idea about frame geometry. I'm thinking road-ish rather than MTB/hybrid, but I really have no understanding of the different kind of roadish geometries (road, cyclocross, touring).

Gearing, well, I currently ride a hybrid giant with 22/32/42 or 24/34/44 (can't remember) front chainrings and an 8-speed rear cog. I on the road I use the middle chainring and all the rear cogs, I use the lower chainring (including 1/1 granny gear) on my commute but if I stick to the roads instead of taking a gravel path through a park I woudn't need it. I use the higher chainring very rarely on downhills with a tailwind. Although ideally a road bike would be at least a little faster than my hybrid.

Originally Posted by Jim-in-Kirkland
If you only go 10 miles or so a day and need something to park outside for hours on end - the old beaters described in other posts may be the way to go.
Well the thing is it might start out an old beater but I'd be spending money on it no matter what.

I'm sorta thinking that's the route to go, just because I'll probably wind up buying lots of new parts no matter what, even if I buy an awesome bike off the shelf. Just because my understanding of what I want will change over time. It sure has on this hybrid.

I'm also inclined to buy a complete used bike rather than a frame, because then I start out with a complete working set of parts, even if they're crappy parts. I can try out new parts one at a time, instead of having to buy them all before I can ride the thing.
Old 01-29-06, 10:19 AM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squeakywheel
If you know what you want and can find it in a store, buy it. Most of us discover what we want along the way through trial and error.

My method has been to buy used bikes and gradually replace parts over time as I decided it wasn't quite right.
Yeah, that sounds like me. My current bike has gradually gotten modified over time. I imagine the same thing would happen no matter what bike I start with.
Old 01-29-06, 10:23 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
Hi,
ok, let's back the proverbial truck up. You need to go out and try some of these bikes to get a better idea of the type of bike that appeals to you. I suggest starting with touring bikes, they make perfect commuters. One can also look at bikes like the Specialized Seqouia, which seem to defy categorisation, but pack a lot of bike into the cost. A new, and very cool looking bike (to me) is the Kona Sutra. It's over budget, unfortunately. It's a rugged touring bike with disc brakes, a very relaxed seating position, and rugged mtn bike wheels.
Old 01-29-06, 10:27 AM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of selection around me to try bikes out. There are two LBSes, one of 'em is Performance which only carries like 3 brands, and the other one has half the selection of the Performance shop. I'll check both out though.

How can I tell by looking if a bike is a "touring" bike versus a "road" bike?

What do you mean by a "relaxed seating position"?
Old 01-29-06, 10:48 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggplant Jeff

How can I tell by looking if a bike is a "touring" bike versus a "road" bike?

What do you mean by a "relaxed seating position"?
Wide tires (28c or bigger) and long chainstays (so your heels don't hit panniers)
are two differences.

Relaxed is more upright than a road bike, and I'd add a low bottom bracket.
Having the frame be more angled helps as well. By angled, the result is the front wheel sticks out further and is more stable. The seat tube leans back more, getting your butt back more.
Old 01-29-06, 01:46 PM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok well I test-rode two bikes, a full-carbon fuji (at a mere $2200! ) and an aluminum schwinn with carbon forks. I could definitely tell the difference between the aluminum and the carbon in terms of absorbing vibrations.

The largest bike they had was a 58cm, which is definitely too small. I'd need at least a 60, maybe larger. They also had no steel bikes, apparently steel is out of favor at the moment at least with the 5 manufacturers carried by the two LBSes near me.
Old 01-29-06, 04:37 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I built my commuter from a broken Bgiant Innova hybrid, rigid steel fork. The frame is alum., very light which is why it attracted me. So I built a single speed. I stripped off the ugly maroon dull paint and polished the frame. Am still building it - every now and again I get something I think is better and i put it on. Just this past weekend I put on Salsa carbon forks which I got for next to nothing on ebay. And I really enjoy riding it.
Old 01-29-06, 04:39 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggplant Jeff
They also had no steel bikes, apparently steel is out of favor at the moment at least with the 5 manufacturers carried by the two LBSes near me.
You could have a look at Jamis - they have steel MTB, saw them just this weekend and it was love at first sight. There is also a single speed steel. Matt black, blows you away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.