Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What trailer to buy?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

What trailer to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 04:30 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What trailer to buy?

I've decided it's time to enhance my hauling capacity. As a backpack commuter, I don't even have panniers at this point. But since I recently had a situation in which panniers would not have been enough anyway, I've decided to go straight to a trailer.

My LBS said he could get me either a Burley or a Bob, but I've also drooled over an Xtracycle on occasion. I've pretty much discounted the Burley, because it makes sense to me what other people say about a two-wheeled trailer being a drag on handling. (Although if you have an opposing viewpoint, by all means let me know.) The Bob Yak is looking pretty nice, having only one wheel and good centralized carrying capacity. But as I said, the Xtracycle hitchless trailer is very attractive too, although I can't tell from the pictures if the volume on a single side is as large as the Yak's.

I only went car-free in December (and still have a family car available to me), so I'm not sure yet exactly what my need will be. Groceries, of course, and either one will do for that. The recent situation I spoke about was getting to the airport and back for a business trip, and I'm not convinced my suitcase would have fit into one of the Xtracycle's saddle bags. (As it was, I had planned on taking a cab, then didn't have enough cash and ended up walking the 5 miles home with my suitcase! ) Without having more specific uses in mind, I guess I would say my primary concerns are spatial capacity and handling.

So I'm mainly looking for Xtracycle and Bob owners who can extoll the virtues of each and the hassles of the other, but owners of other systems are welcome to chime in, too. Thanks!
Old 02-07-06, 06:26 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I have a friend Who has used a Bob trailer for a while, it's a handy thing and it handles pretty nice. I can see where owning a trailer is nice when you are 1/2 car free.
But, on rides to work with just what you normally carry in your back pack, a trailer will be inconvenient compared to good quality panniers. In the end eventually you probably will end up with a trailer or using the other car for big loads, and panniers anyway.
The panniers don't slow you down as much as another wheel rolling along, are fast and easy to take off and bring in. They will fit in the office, the house etc. Easier to carry a bag of small stuff a long way with panniers with nice handles. Easier when you carry the bike up stairs.

I have a touring bike with pannier racks front and back it is amazing what can be carried. If it were me, I would go a little at a time in this order.

1) A good quality long touring rear rack. More info later if you want. Not
the typical rack. Some racks are too short and you hit your heels on a big rear
pannier. And some big rear panniers to go on it. You may love this compared to the back
pack.

2) If this turns out to be not quite enough after a while get good quality front
rack and panniers. you still could wear the backpack in addition to four panniers.

3) If you end up buying a trailer later you will still likely want to have rear panniers for a
smaller load on a commute to work. And There may be a time when you want
panniers and a trailer ! I hope not !

If you have a handy place for the trailer and the bike at each end of your commute you might like the trailer better, but if you have much on the trailer you still need a duffel bag or a back pack to carry things inside. The panniers already are that bag. Most pannier pairs will snap together or just naturally fall together if you pick up both handles at once. Then you can carry two panniers in one hand very nicely.

Once you decide and start using what ever you go with I would be interested to hear how you like it.
Old 02-07-06, 07:10 PM
chuckfox
'possum killer

Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
I have a Bob Yak that I have pulled for several years now. I like it a lot, but I also use a trunk bag on my rear rack on many days and leave the trailer at home. The trailer really helped me with my car lite lifestyle. To address the OP's question about which trailer, here is my two cents.

The Bob design is great if your load is not too heavy or tall. I routinely transport 25-30 lbs in my Bob Yak. It all fits in the dry sack and stays low in the trailer, so you can hardly tell the trailer is back there. It tracks directly behind the bike, so you don't have to worry about dropping a wheel off the edge of the trail. However, heavier loads or tall loads adversely affect the handling of the bike/trailer. Under heavier loads the trailer can induce a twist type of motion that can be somewhat unsettling, especially at slow speed when turning sharply. The way the trailer hinges makes the bike want to tip to the outside of the turn. For heavier loads I would definitely recommend a two wheeled trailer like the Burly Nomad, Burly Flatbed, or Wike trailer. They do not affect the stability of the bike as much because the load does not affect the side to side balance of the trailer. That said, I have put thousands of miles on my Bob and it has been great for my small to medium sized loads.

I do not have experience with the Xtracycle, but I have a friend that absolutely loves his...it is a pretty nice system as well.
Old 02-07-06, 07:14 PM
Allan Dunlop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a BOB trailer for a few years (it's very tippy and puts a lot of torque on the rear axle) until I started using trailers from Tony Hoar (www.TonysTrailers.com). I've got three of them now--a grocery-getter, a single-wheeler and a mid-size (much larger than most) cargo trailer. Love them.

Allan

Originally Posted by JohnBrooking
I've decided it's time to enhance my hauling capacity. As a backpack commuter, I don't even have panniers at this point. But since I recently had a situation in which panniers would not have been enough anyway, I've decided to go straight to a trailer.

My LBS said he could get me either a Burley or a Bob, but I've also drooled over an Xtracycle on occasion. I've pretty much discounted the Burley, because it makes sense to me what other people say about a two-wheeled trailer being a drag on handling. (Although if you have an opposing viewpoint, by all means let me know.) The Bob Yak is looking pretty nice, having only one wheel and good centralized carrying capacity. But as I said, the Xtracycle hitchless trailer is very attractive too, although I can't tell from the pictures if the volume on a single side is as large as the Yak's.

I only went car-free in December (and still have a family car available to me), so I'm not sure yet exactly what my need will be. Groceries, of course, and either one will do for that. The recent situation I spoke about was getting to the airport and back for a business trip, and I'm not convinced my suitcase would have fit into one of the Xtracycle's saddle bags. (As it was, I had planned on taking a cab, then didn't have enough cash and ended up walking the 5 miles home with my suitcase! ) Without having more specific uses in mind, I guess I would say my primary concerns are spatial capacity and handling.

So I'm mainly looking for Xtracycle and Bob owners who can extoll the virtues of each and the hassles of the other, but owners of other systems are welcome to chime in, too. Thanks!
Old 02-07-06, 09:01 PM
attercoppe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll tell you what I've got, though it may not help you. I use a Wheele trailer - it's basically a single wheel on a stick, with a bag slung underneath. (I've posted pictures of it in another LCF sub-forum.) It works great for groceries, as well as recycling, dumpster finds, thrift store loot, and just "too much stuff for the back rack." It also quickly and easily detaches and folds into a small package. Unfortunately, the company that made them is out of business. If you really wanted one, you could probably find a used one somewhere.

At any rate, I think for groceries, you'll want a trailer with a fair amount of "floor space". I haven't personally used either one, but doesn't a Nomad have more than a Yak? You'd typically want to be able to place your groceries side by side, rather than atop one another.

As far as handling, again, this may not be relevant, but maybe it can help. My Wheele is a single-wheel, but it also attaches to the seat post rather than the rear axle, so the handling is different from trailers like the Yak or Nomad. Empty, I don't even notice it. Full, of course it's more to move, but still handles fine. The only time I have a problem is if I've stacked it too high and take a tight corner or just lean too far over. The load, especially at the front of the trailer, is higher off the ground to begin with (than axle-hitched trailers).

So, there's a couple of things to consider if you end up looking at some different designs than the standard Yak/Nomad types. The higher center of gravity from a higher-placed load would also apply to an Xtracycle, whether you used the top or the sides.

I'm not convinced my suitcase would have fit into one of the Xtracycle's saddle bags.
You should be able to put it across the top board, no?
Old 02-07-06, 10:03 PM
tfahrner
est'd 1966

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Xtracycle is pretty much the ultimate solution as long as you can deal with the fact that it's always there, making your bike a significantly bigger, heavier thing than it was before, whether you need the carrying capacity or not. You're worried about a suitcase??? i have picked up adults from the airport with 2 checked bags on an xtracycle. More: https://todd.cleverchimp.com/blog/?p=56

If you can have more than one bike, make one of them an Xtracycle so the other(s) can do their stripped-down thing.

If you can have only one bike, then the case for a trailer gets a lot stronger. I sold my BOB after trying an Xtracycle; it just doesn't compare. But I still use a 2-wheel kid trailer with the Xtracycle on occasion (yes, you can have both). Well-designed, axle-hitched, 2-wheel trailers are a good solution for big loads with minimum handling hit.

i don't have huge experience with trailers, but this is the same company as my kid trailer, so i'm pretty sure these are good value: https://www.wicycle.com/cargo.htm

for the love of god, though, you should consider a biggish saddle bag (https://www.wallbike.com/carradice/ca...addlebags.html) to get the stuff off your back when the load isn't big enough to justify a trailer.
Old 02-07-06, 11:52 PM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Yak. Of course, you can't haul a sofa with it, but it is great for carrying home a massive load of food, or six cases of wine. And, it doesn't required changing your bike, which for me is big plus.

When I need it, I use it. Otherwise, my bike stays as is.
Old 02-08-06, 12:23 AM
attercoppe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do some of you Yak and Nomad (and others) owners suppose you could post some pictures of your trailers full of gorceries and what not - so we can get an idea of capacity?
Old 02-08-06, 09:45 AM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by attercoppe
I'm not convinced my suitcase would have fit into one of the Xtracycle's saddle bags.
You should be able to put it across the top board, no?
Well, I've been trying to figure out just where I would have put the suitcase with an Xtracycle. I guess I could lash it to the top with rope and/or bungees, but that seems kind of slipshod, plus it gives it a high center of gravity. That leaves the sides. It's unclear to me if the FreeRadical extender comes with the bag or if it's just the frame, but even the standard bag shown in some of the pictures doesn't look big enough for a suitcase, without the WideLoader accessory. Is the WideLoader what I would need for a suitcase that is, say, 1 foot wide? (It's one of those wheeled ones, medium-sized.)
Old 02-08-06, 11:03 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I have a bikerev trailer. It's really just a Rubbermaid container attatched to a trailer frame. Two wheeled, and can haul a good deal. The frame detatches and can be stored inside the container. If you wanted something taller, you could probably get another, taller container, drill holes in the proper places, and attatch the new container in place of the old.

I find it quite convienent. It detatches quickly and I use it as a grocery cart.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 02-08-06, 11:16 AM
TuckertonRR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a bikes at work 64" trailer....excellent, in my opinion. I havent yet had something it couldn't haul. steel frame, you can put containers in them, as many as you want, up to like 300 lbs (haven't tried the weight capacity though)
but I'd reccommend it.
Old 02-08-06, 09:37 PM
attercoppe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
I have a bikerev trailer. It's really just a Rubbermaid container attatched to a trailer frame...I use it as a grocery cart.
For all those who do this, taking the trailer right into the store, I have a possibly silly question: what do you do with the lid while shopping? Of course you can stick it into the bottom, in the container itself, but doesn't that take up a fair amount of the capacity? Do you just leave it with your bike?
Old 02-09-06, 03:57 AM
demo9orgon
carfree

Bikes: Specialized Hyrbrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bikes-at-work 64" trailer.
I routinely haul 100 to 150 lbs. of groceries every weekend.
I also do a water/soda/ice run which is about 110lbs.
Using rubbermaid 18 gal. roughnecks to hold cargo is brilliant! You can stack them and balance your load over the axle, making it possible to carry heavy stuff without taco'ing a wheel.
I also picked up a cooler to carry the frozen food because those roughnecks are thermally transparent, and in Tucson, AZ, that's not a good thing.

This trailer is an ideal product if you're going car-free. I've transported some very bulky items with it and an interesting side-effect of owning a 64" bike trailer is that you end up socializing with people who appreciate the utility and design of the trailer.

I have destroyed rear-wheels loading a pair of Jannd grocery-bag panniers with only $50 of groceries on a Blackburn Mtn rack, which is now a bit distorted from all the heavy-loading I've subjected it to. I had to shop every day before I had the trailer and some loads easily exceeded the recommended 35lbs weight limit the rack is rated at. With the trailer I shop once a week, just as I would if I had a car.
Old 02-09-06, 07:40 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
"For all those who do this, taking the trailer right into the store, I have a possibly silly question: what do you do with the lid while shopping? Of course you can stick it into the bottom, in the container itself, but doesn't that take up a fair amount of the capacity? Do you just leave it with your bike?"

I set the lid inside the trailer. The lid is placed on its' long edge, diagonally, neatly bisecting the container into two halves. Takes up very little actual space.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 02-22-06, 10:54 PM
Anthony87
Commuter

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc, 2009 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will post pictures of my nomad soon. i can fit about $70 full of goodies and there is more room. it will carry 100 pounds.. you can not feel the weight difference to easy when it is full. it is a great product.
Old 02-23-06, 12:43 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wike flatbed!

www.wike.ca
Old 02-25-06, 08:34 PM
nlee1875

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
February 25, 2006

RE: Cargo Trailer

For those who are interested in a DIY cargo trailer.. here is a good starting point..

You will need to make your own tow tongue and hitch and on you go.

First of all.. I currently own five cargo trailers myself -- from light duty to heavy duty. Pics of three of my cargo trailers are posted in the CUMMUTING forum..just do a search for my user id.

My heavy duty trailer was made from two hand trucks cut and welded together. Since the hand truck was rated to 700 lbs.. my weak link are my 20" bike wheels.. but then again.. who actually hauls 700# regularly on a bicycle?? Three hundred # load is no problem!

I went to Harbo Freight in Reno, NV today.. and checked out a welding truck which I thought would make a quick and easy DIY trailer. (harborfreight.com).

BTW.. one of my trailer was made from part number "34313" excess cargo trailer. My heavy duty trailer was made from welding two "big foot" hand trucks.

Not that extreme? Fair enough!.. Back on topic. Here is the deal..

Do a search for part number "43615".

The welder cart has very desireable wheel base. ie not too wide if you commute in heavy traffic. The cart has the desireable heavy duty 20 x 1.75 wheels / spokes with quick release cotter pins. Ground clearance of 10" might cause some center of gravity problems.. but with minor tweeking.. you can lower the ground clearance height by 2 to 3". Use your imagination.. once you have a visual of the cart once assembled, you can easily make changes.

In the Reno store.. the welder cart is on sale for $32.00 this week. Current mail order sale price is about $40.00.

You will, however, need a hack saw or cut-off saw to trim off the steel tubing and shelving.

With any luck, you will have yourself a decent very useable heavy duty cargo trailer for less than $75 finished.

Much obliged.
Nick Lee
Sparks, NV
car free since January 2000
member of the 5 digit club (10,000+ bicycle miles each year every year since)
Old 02-26-06, 09:19 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I built this trailer 20yrs ago and use it yet today. All of
the materials were salvaged from jobs here at home.
Even buying new materials the cost wouldn't be that
bad for a really robust durable bike trailer. My cost
20 yrs ago was $20 today might be about $80 with new
wood.

The plans call for 27" wheels but I used 20" wheels from
an old kids bike to be more stable and extended the neck
up a bit to compensate the difference. I strongly suggest
that you find and use an old OAK shipping skid for the frame
to pickup the strength of seasoned oak instead of plywood.

Enjoy!!

https://www.motherearthnews.com/libr...Bicycle_Trailer
Old 02-26-06, 05:16 PM
orangetwicer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own both a Burley Nomad and a BOB Yak. If you're only gonna get the one then make it a Burley. the BOB is great if your load is light (under 40lbs.) and always predictable and never higher than the rails (big one there.

As for handling, panniers will adversly affect handling far more than either trailer mentioned.Panniers also have greater wind resistance than either trailer (although it would be close with the Burley). Did I mention that the trailers have 5 to 10 times the space of panniers (and whatever you have isn't up high on a rack).

My first fear with the Burley would be that its width (over a BOB) would be a pain, but it isn't. Also you can throw things in it any way you feel and it won't affect handling.