Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any Naked Eyes?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Any Naked Eyes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-05, 06:23 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any Naked Eyes?

Does anybody NOT wear anything over their eyes in around 0 F temps? This is my first year wearing contacts and haven't worn anything over my eyes so far this winter. It has been nice to be able to cover the eyes and nose and not have to worry about fogging.

Now the temps are getting seriously cold and I am wondering if it is a good idea to continue with the naked eyes?
Old 12-06-05, 06:39 PM
rilles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ski/sport goggles?

I'm fed up of having the last part of my ride guessing where I am going due to fogged lenses. So I may start wearing contacts... its already -14C here at night and I don't want to freeze my contacts in place or something....
Old 12-07-05, 01:27 AM
mascher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's never occurred to me that I didn't get why people were wearing goggles becasue I wear glasses already.

Duh.
Old 12-07-05, 07:02 AM
Boiler

Bikes: Gary Fisher mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found that at these temps 1°F I have not been using glasses or goggles. My eyes water for about the first five minutes and then dry up, every thing is good after that...or maybe my eyes are just freezing open... When I wear glasses or goggles they either fog up instantly, or I get this air blast coming around the lenses that makes my eyes water even more.
Old 12-07-05, 08:44 AM
librarian

Bikes: Giant OCR Touring, Raleigh Sport Comfort, Cannondale ST400, Cannondale Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My eyes used to water all the time in cold weather when wearing "avaitor style sunglasses" I got two pair of wrap-around glasses from the dollar store. One tinted and one almost clear. No tears any more. (Today 19 degrees, 20mph headwind) The only time I get any fogging is when I am climbing the bridge on the way home and that is alievated by pushing them forward 1/4 of an inch. Best $2 I ever spent.
Old 12-07-05, 09:13 AM
Wulfheir
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-07-05, 09:21 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dry eyes with contacts can be somewhat uncomfortable. I wear contacts and occasionally have a bad time with them after a cold no goggle commute. However, as my eyes get used to colder weather the dryness occurs less and less. 15F is my current limit without goggles. A week ago it was 20F.
Old 12-07-05, 09:28 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have contacts too, and they dry out a little bit, but not too badly. I wear my shades in the morning on the way to work (unless it's really gloomy out). It was 1F this morning with some fun windchill, and they fogged up a lot at stoplights. It was kind of annoying.

I try to keep my face as covered as possible. Not quite as much as wulheir, though I suppose as bad as it gets here, it ain't nothin' compared to Calgary.

Naked eyes on the way home. It will be around 10 degrees... almost balmy. I haven't really had any problems with my contacts in the cold. However, I am thinking about getting some clear, untinted lenses. Actually I'm thinking about moving to Texas. Heh.
Old 12-07-05, 10:12 AM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, this morning's ride confirmed what i already knew. Eyewear of any kind sucks in the cold. I wore my visorgogs this AM because it was pretty cold, (8F) with a strong North wind and blowing snow. Everything was cool until i started to heat up. Then the damned visorgogs were seriously fogging to the point that i was blinded.

I threw them in the trunk bag and had a successful ride thereafter. I have to say that it is soooooooo nice to have contacts this winter. It is nice to pull a covering up over my mouth and nose with no adverse effects.
Old 12-07-05, 12:16 PM
chuckfox
'possum killer

Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
It was -3F this morning when I left for work. I ride about 6 mi and don't use goggles. I don't wear contacts either. The only problem I have is my eyelashes build up a lot of frost and now and then one eyelash will catch when the eyelashes freeze together--no biggie. A lot better than all the fogging problems I've had with goggles. That said I have no experence with good goggles, just cheapies.
Old 12-07-05, 07:50 PM
Joe1946

Bikes: Surly Pugsley,Mongoose Hybrid, Nashbar road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Uvex Supersonic S goggles fogged up today for the first time and after trying to wipe them dry I decided to ride with naked eyes. I think the problem was not opening the vents on my Giro Ravine snow sports helmet soon enough and building up too much heat. At least I have two weeks before the official start of winter to tweak my setup.

Joe
Old 12-07-05, 08:46 PM
GreyGoat

Bikes: 85 Ross Mt Rainier(for winter road use), 86 Centurion Ironman Master, 92 trek 2300,2005 Iron Horse HollowPoint Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
problem I have with naked eyes is if the road is wet, I don't like to get salt splash in there.. and if the road is dry it typically has salt dust that gets kicked up by wind or cars going by ....if im not worried about keeping the cold off them I at least use a pair of clear safety glasses just to keep the crap out..
Old 12-07-05, 08:52 PM
Portis
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chuckfox
It was -3F this morning when I left for work. I ride about 6 mi and don't use goggles. I don't wear contacts either. The only problem I have is my eyelashes build up a lot of frost and now and then one eyelash will catch when the eyelashes freeze together--no biggie. A lot better than all the fogging problems I've had with goggles. That said I have no experence with good goggles, just cheapies.
I've had minor eyelash freezing as well. Not a real problem yet however.
Old 12-07-05, 09:29 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Naked eyes here. I wear sunglasses, but only when it is bright and sunny. Skiing at below -10 F, I need goggles -- not to cover my eyes, but to keep that part of my face warm without fogging.

Paul
Old 12-08-05, 01:55 AM
iceratt
contre nous de la tyranie

Bikes: Trek 830, Trek 520, Surly 1x1 fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I blithely ride, half blind in the cold, without my glasses, like Mr Magoo. Most of the streets that I pick have little traffic and I proceed much more slowly and carefully than in the summer, so I think that I'm playing safe. Of course I could be totally unaware of my close shaves with death. I've ridden in temperatures as low as -15F with no ill effect to my eyes, as I make sure that my balaclava and neck warmer help break the wind that hit the narrow eye slit. In those temperatures, I have much more difficulty with toes and fingers.
Old 12-08-05, 03:47 PM
Joe1946

Bikes: Surly Pugsley,Mongoose Hybrid, Nashbar road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well today with temps in the 20's I left the vents open on my Giro Ravine snow sports helmet and my Uvex Supersonic S goggles did not fog up like yesterday.

Joe