Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Another bike recommendation thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Another bike recommendation thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 10:57 AM
BlackPaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[newbie]Another recommend me a bike thread

Which bikes would you recommend for this purpose if budget was comfortably high (lets say 3000$) and which one would you recommend based on my actual budget 850$ and the information below.

SECTION 1

Q: Do you want to go fast on Tarmac?

A: not much but reasonably fast sometimes, dont want to sacrifice comfort for speed

Q: Prefer an upright riding position?

A: yes very much, only upright as much to avoid neck or back pain from longer rides, or if riding too often. (if its possible to avoid this pain i would ride a time trial bike) (im afraid of agressive position on a road bike mainly because my pervious road bike was not fit for me, the handlebars were too far from the saddle and my arms stretched far out and i had this pain and fatigue after each ride)

Q: Need to carry luggage?

A: rarely, sometimes ill want to shop in the city, but ill mostly carry a backpack for that, very rarely ill need to carry something
that can't fit in a backpack. So having an option for rack mounts is nice, but not necessary.

Q: Going to ride in the rain?

A: not on purpose, if I do get caught caught in the rain it probably wont be for long, I dont plan to go further than the city if there
is a possibility of rain, so clearance for mudgards is nice but almost non necessary for me. (average rainy days where i live is 100days per year)

Q: How hilly is it where you’ll ride?

A: very, even the city I live in is on a hill (sort of), although there is a large plain south-west and northwest of the city

Q: Going off road?

A: there are lots of off road trails and wider rough roads between villages, but i wouldn't want a bike that can tackle with these types of terrain and
sacrifice speed or weight for it... (i would rather have 10kg bike that I can climb the many tarmac paved hilly roads than 15kg MTB)

Q: Planning to load up and head for the hills?

A: head for the hills yes, bring extra load - hell no, only water bottles and backpack with basic stuff like food and spare equipment.

Q: Commuting by bike and train?

A: nope

Section 2 Budget

Budget is 850 USD

Section 3 BIKE USE AND PURPOSE

everyday - short rides, (both leisurely and fast at times) through the city no longer than 1h, sometimes maybe 2h (very rare)
weekends - 20 to 70km routes (mostly on plain, but sometimes hills)
once or twice per month - longer distance (100 to 150km) only in summer so maybe 10 rides per year maximum of this kind.

Last edited by BlackPaw; 04-20-17 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-20-17, 11:05 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
How about this:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anyroad-2
Old 04-20-17, 11:29 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
One question / answer I'd add to your list is whether you can do basic maintenance repairs or will you need to rely on a shop. If you do have the ability and intend on doing your own work, I'd say look for something used. If you get a decent deal and decide it's not right for your needs, you can sell at minimal loss and get something else.

$800 buys a lot of bike on the used market where a new $800.00 bike may be worth $500.00 or less if you sell it 6 months later.

For someone that isn't sure whether a particular type of bike is going to work out for them, it makes a lot of sense.
Old 04-20-17, 01:23 PM
SWorksRoubaix

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...rmance/diverge
Old 04-20-17, 01:52 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I agree with the others in that it sounds like you want a gravel/cyclocross bike. An alternate might be a hybrid with a little bit of tire clearance. You should test ride a few and see how they feel. Also have to decide whether you like the straight handlebar that usually come on most hybrids as opposed to the standard drop bar.
Old 04-20-17, 03:21 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
For an adventure bike lots of choices out there: Marin Four Corners, GT Grade, Raleigh Stuntman, Trek Crossrip, Salsa Vaya and BD Omni Strada.

You may not want to always go off-road but you'll be glad to be able to do it when new paths beckon.
Old 04-20-17, 06:54 PM
Stravacyclist79

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nashbar 105 Road Bike Shimano 105 5800
Nashbar 105 Road Bike

"Free Shipping On Orders $99+. Overweight Charges Apply
Extra 25% Off This Item"
Old 04-20-17, 07:46 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If my budget were $3000 I would get a Diverge Comp. no need to think about it. That would be the bike for me. For $850 that previously mentioned Giant Anyroad if I could stretch a little but honestly the Nashbar 105 bike is a tough deal to beat and currently an additional 25%off puts it at $675 and still room for cages and pedals.
Sure you could get a lot more bike in the used arena but I have found people are a little overly attached and priced high on their equipment, at least in my area.