Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

So how heavy is the Surly Cross-Check? (back & other issues)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

So how heavy is the Surly Cross-Check? (back & other issues)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 02:09 AM
Emerson
SpecOps-27

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

I'm probably buying a Crosscheck in the next few weeks. I've done what internet research I can. Almost everyone loves the bike, but almost everyone complains about the weight. I am only concerned about the weight issue because of some serious back problems (not supposed to lift more than 35lbs ever again and even that much not too often ). I'm getting rid of my current hybrid (Specialized Crossroads Comp) because of how heavy it is--I want to be able to put the thing on the car rack by myself easily. The back problems also mean I need to be pretty upright--more like a hybrid than a road bike--bars a couple of inches above the seat. (Pretty sure I'm going with the Jones h-bar, several positions and pretty lightweight)

The other bikes in contention are the Soma Doublecross, the Specialized Tricross, and maybe, just maybe, a Gunnar Crosshairs, but the Gunnar would be a huge stretch for the budget--the Soma is the real competition. I'm worried that with the pre-built bikes, the fork is already cut down which I think would make getting the bars up high harder. Also the Specialized and similar bikes almost always come with doubles and we have some pretty good hills here in Colorado (read "I'm not in phenomenal shape") and I want the bike to at least be able to take a triple.. Other suggestions are welcome.

So here's the question. Is it possible, for reasonable money (say less than $1500 or so) to build up a 22-23 lb Surly that will be good for commuting, a little light off-road, credit-card touring--all the stuff people who don't actually race cyclocross buy a Surly for??

Is the whole "heavy" thing really a product of folks who ride 17lb bikes? Are the components and wheels really the main issue here?

I would love to hear more feedback on the Surly vs. Soma debate, any actual Crosscheck weights, and any other suggestions you have. I have learned a ton reading these forums--thanks, but although I really like to ride I don't know a lot about the technical aspects--choosing components, etc. I've found a local shop that I like, has a lightly used Surly in my size, and is being very helpful in terms of working with my physical needs.

I'm posting in the Commuting forum because I think it represents a group of riders who are more likely to ride for similar reasons to myself--for pleasure and transportation, and less so for racing.

Thanks again

Last edited by Emerson; 02-04-06 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-02-06, 02:27 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would go with the Soma, as it has a better quality of steel used in the tubing, and the pricing is about the same. I dig Surly and all, but I just don't see why people choose Taiwanese BMX chro-moly over Reynolds 631. As far as the weight issue goes-strong, light, cheap-pick any two holds true here, but you know, it's not like all the frames you've listed are boat anchors, or anything, they're just a little heavier than aluminum, is all, but that's what you get when you want strong unless you have very deep pockets.
Old 02-02-06, 02:33 AM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Oh, and maybe look into the Lemond Poprad-sexy color,classic styling, good tubing, and good components, all within the pricepoint you listed.
Old 02-02-06, 11:25 AM
DanO220
SoCal Commuter

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck single/9 speed convertible, Novara Buzz beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll go crazy trying t get a Crosscheck down to 22 lbs. Mine weighs about 26. But you know what? That's not that heavy. The only time my bike starts to feel heavy is when I put panniers on it and start filling them up for a day ride, or with groceries from the store. The bike feels like a racer after dropping that load. While I suspect you might have trouble hefting a 35-40 lb downhill bike onto your rack, a Crosscheck, sans baggage and water bottles, should be no problem.

Whatever you end up buying, try not to get sucked up into the low weight thing. For the most part you are right about it being most important to racers. For rough stuff commuting you need something reliable. And that 5 or 7 lbs will buy a bike that you can ride pretty much anywhere, within reason, and not have to worry about beating the crap out of it. If it's possible, goe to a shop that has some touring bikes on the floor. Pick a couple up and see for yourself if you think they're heavy. Then ask what the weight is. (Good luck finding a salesperson who actually knows, but that's another thread.) The race bikes will feel rediculously light by comparison. But I bet you won't find the touring bikes THAT heavy. It sounds like you know to stay away from comfort bikes, and that's good. All but the most expensive ones really are tanks.

I own both aluminum and steel frames. And yes, the steel does have a nicer ride.

DanO

Last edited by DanO220; 02-02-06 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-02-06, 11:33 AM
Plosive
"Light is right"

Bikes: 06 Cannondale Synapse, 93 Bridgestone XO-1 (commuter), 90 Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the Burly Vagabond?
https://www.burley.com/products/road-...p=Vagabond&i=1
Why does this bike not get more attention in the commuter forums? It seems like a good fit for commuting (weight, components, ability to haul, etc) and at a competitive price-point, yet it doesn't get a sniff here?
The reason I mention it is it may be of intrest to Emerson and to get some feedback from other commuters.
Old 02-02-06, 11:38 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I was debating between a Crosscheck and a 2005 Lemond Poprad and ended up with the Poprad as buidling the Crosscheck to similar specs would cost more. I have no regrets.
The 57cm Poprad with clipless pedals, bottle cages, brackets for lights & computer, Conti Gatorskin 700x25c (i.e. everything but saddlebag, lights, battery, racks, fenders) weighs 22.5lbs by bathroom scale subract my weight method.

Al
Old 02-03-06, 09:21 AM
comradehoser
B.C. to D.C.

Location: between the Popeye's, the liquor store, the funeral home, and the strip club

Bikes: 1992 Miyata Nine 14; 1971 Raleigh Super Course fixie conversion; 2006 Jamis Nova (853 version); 2001 Diamondback Topanga (SS conversion); 1956 Rudge Sports; 1971 Raleigh Competition (processing); 199? Schwinn World Sport (processing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup, same here --was going to build up a crosscheck, considered a poprad, but the edge went to the Jamis Nova (22/75 lbs), which has everything I wanted to put on the crosscheck, plus a carbon fork and Reynolds 631 tubing: candy sl pedals, Shim. 105 components, external bearing BB, mavic open pro wheels, fender/rack action. Looks pretty nice, too. Beauty bike, rides awesome.
Old 02-03-06, 09:41 AM
Mtn Mike
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My CrossCheck weighs in at about 24 lbs with 105 components. I'm not bothered by the weight for commuting, light touring, and off-roading. Practically speaking, he extra weight is negligable. However, on competitive road rides, the extra 5-7 lbs is a bit of a drag. The Jamis, Propad, and Soma frames look nice too. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these bikes.
Old 02-03-06, 09:41 AM
Emerson
SpecOps-27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm concerned with the Poprad or Nova about being able to get the bars up high enough. Can you get a rack and fenders on a Poprad? Can you put a triple up front on those bikes--I think for touring I might want a lower gear.

Last edited by Emerson; 02-03-06 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-03-06, 09:56 AM
Emerson
SpecOps-27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know 24 lbs doesn't sound like much, but for me, with my back it is. And once I add a rack, a sprung saddle, etc we're pushing 26-27lbs which would cause my doc to roll her eyes and wag her finger at me.

I guess I have no choice but to tell my wife that I have to buy a Moots Psychlo-X YBB or Moo-tour.
Old 02-03-06, 10:26 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by krispistoferson
I would go with the Soma, as it has a better quality of steel used in the tubing, and the pricing is about the same. I dig Surly and all, but I just don't see why people choose Taiwanese BMX chro-moly over Reynolds 631. As far as the weight issue goes-strong, light, cheap-pick any two holds true here, but you know, it's not like all the frames you've listed are boat anchors, or anything, they're just a little heavier than aluminum, is all, but that's what you get when you want strong unless you have very deep pockets.
For my part, I would choose the Surly for the horizontal dropouts. It's just that much more versatility available (I intend to build on up with a Nexus hub at some point). As far as frame weight goes, both bikes come in at around seven pounds for frame and fork. I think that it makes sense to go with the Soma if you're definitely going to go for a derailer drivetrain, and it's reasonable to purchase the Surly if you want the ability to experiment with lots of different configurations. You can definitely get both bikes built up to around 25 pounds with little difficulty, though they might rest a touch on the high side of that number. Under 30 is a snap, though. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just choose good quality components and it will come out to an eminently liftable weight .
Old 02-03-06, 10:27 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Emerson
I know 24 lbs doesn't sound like much, but for me, with my back it is. And once I add a rack, a sprung saddle, etc we're pushing 26-27lbs which would cause my doc to roll her eyes and wag her finger at me.

I guess I have no choice but to tell my wife that I have to buy a Moots Psychlo-X YBB or Moo-tour.
Well, if that's the case, than you clearly have no choice but to follow the doctor's orders and buy a Litespeed .
Old 02-03-06, 10:41 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just got another Cross-Check frame for my next build. I was suprised how light the frame was compared to my built up fixed gear build. The weight really adds up quickly once you start hanging stuff on the frame.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 02-03-06, 10:54 AM
Emerson
SpecOps-27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's been my general impression--the frame is not really the biggest part of the equation which also means that over time I can lighten the bike by upgrading components. Am I right here?
Old 02-03-06, 11:06 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you want a good commuting bike with wide range gearing, rack fenders, steel frame, sprung saddle, < 25lb and < $1500. I think you will find that to be a tough task. A carbon fork and light wheels will help to meet your weight target but will eat heavily into your budget. You might want to weigh find lighter racks and perhaps a light weight saddle with suspension seat post will be more effective than a sprung saddle.
I think with your goals you will be better off going with a frame and building it yourself.
Craig
Old 02-03-06, 11:27 AM
max-a-mill
aspiring dirtbag commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think the jamis nova is perfect for what your looking for. thats what i'd have bought if i wanted a complete geared bike (i test rode one and they are SUHWEET!).

i chose the crosscheck for the dropouts cause i run it singlespeed. bomber frame but definitely not light compared to others.

a nicely buted frame (like the gunnar) might save a pound or two but cost at least 500 more. dunno about the soma, that does sound nice!

btw, for the person who posted the burley what does that thing retail for??? i'd bet it doesn't make peoples lists cause it is $$$, not cause it isn't a good choice.
Old 02-03-06, 12:06 PM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by max-a-mill
btw, for the person who posted the burley what does that thing retail for??? i'd bet it doesn't make peoples lists cause it is $$$, not cause it isn't a good choice.
A quick Google returns prices listed at $1600 for the Burley Vagabond. That puts it about double the CrossCheck and Aurora. I'm sure its worth it but it does put the price a little high for a commuter. Good call max-a-mill.
Craig
Old 02-03-06, 12:09 PM
mycoatl
Sasquatch Crossing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burley is in the price range. Runabout w/ 7 speed nexus and disc brakes is just about $1100. https://bicyclesource.us/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3706

I think folks don't consider Burley commuters a whole lot because they don't post MSRPs on their website and you have to go to a dealer that carries them. Even if your LBS does have Burley, they probably have their racing and touring bikes, but not their commuters.
Old 02-03-06, 12:27 PM
Emerson
SpecOps-27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burley Vagabond=27lbs
Burly Runabout 7=30.5, Runabout 27=29.5

too heavy for me to lift comfortably. Thanks for the suggestion though.

According to Speedgoat, the difference in weight between a Gunnar Crosshairs and a Surly Crosscheck is about a pound. This is what confuses me. Sure a pound is big, big deal to serious roadies and racers, but, even for me with the back stuff, a pound doesn't sound like a big deal. Why do regular folks say the Crosscheck is so heavy?

Last edited by Emerson; 02-03-06 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-03-06, 02:17 PM
highlyselassie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Emerson
Why do regular folks say the Crosscheck is so heavy?
I don't think it's regular folks saying such things, more racey folks.

Yeah, it's probably one or two pounds heavier than X frame with carbon fork, but look at the options you've got.

Fish vs Fowl.
Old 02-03-06, 02:25 PM
bokes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another option is to get a used ti Airborne Carpe Diem from Ebay. Or you can get a new one if you travel in the UK. It weighs less than 20lbs with Ultegra
Old 02-03-06, 02:49 PM
Emerson
SpecOps-27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've thought about a Carpe Diem, but I'd be very reluctant to buy a bike without having ridden it first. I just don't have enough experience for that. As to going to the UK, so now I have to tell my wife that I am not only buying a Ti frame, but I have to go to England to do it. I can see that going over well.

Why did Airborne stop selling in the US? Anyone know?
Old 02-03-06, 05:49 PM
bokes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it's fairly risk free to buy a bike online as long as you already know the geometry and tube lengths that you like. or alternatively you could visit a few bike shops, try out a bunch of bikes with similar geometries and take notes on the fit. Most builders have the stats online so you can compare. worst case you can turn around and sell it usually for the same price you bought it for.
Airborne didn't stop selling in the US, but changed their name to Flyte and discontinued the CD in ti. I don't know why.
Old 02-03-06, 06:53 PM
chuckfox
'possum killer

Bikes: mountain bike (Litespeed Pisgah), touring bike (Giant Frankenbike), tandem (Burley Samba), fixie (Raleigh Rush Hour)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Hi Emerson, I have not weighed this machine, but this is a Cross-Check that I built up in January. I also wanted an upright position and used the Nitto North Road bar. Thought you might be interested in seeing it, since you are thinking about a more upright riding position. The link below is to a photo:

The wheels are Mavic Speed Cities that came off my previous commuter, I also reused the pedals, and saddle. My build cost was a little over $900, but that does not include the cost of the items I reused.
Old 02-03-06, 07:04 PM
Emerson
SpecOps-27

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think mine will wind up looking pretty similar. I assume you're happy with it. Why did you go with the Surly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.