Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Who'd like to help me pick out some cranks on ebay?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Who'd like to help me pick out some cranks on ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 10:45 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Paint Job Steve
Which one would you get???
I would prefer the 86 bcd (actually using one on my next build.) I’m not setting any land speed records, so I prefer the ability to have lower gearing.
Old 06-09-20, 11:08 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Good info, I appreciate. I just want a crank that is going to fit the bottom bracket I have on there now and I'm thinking going Japanese is a safe bet to match the Silstar fit.
Japanese crank spindle lengths vary across manufacturers and across crankset models. In looking at Sheldon Brown's BB spindle length database it looks like most Japanese vintage doubles range between 107 and 113.https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html You can probably fudge it within that range you are sticking to doubles. To be safe you could measure your BB spindle with a caliper to get the exact mm length and make sure that whatever you are buying will fall within a few millimeters of the recommended crank length. Or, you could just wing it and it might/probably be fine.
Old 06-09-20, 06:41 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
Here's one option, it's a SR (Sakae) forged crankset that has a 86 BCD (bolt-circle-diameter).

Forged means that the crank-arm and spider are one piece. Your current crank is swaged, meaning the arm and spider are two pieces pressed together, this is okay but not as strong as forged.

The BCD of this crank is rather small allowing for smaller inner chainrings. This is important if you will be riding longer distances on hilly roads.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SR-...0AAOSwExVezbQn

Double quote buddy. I got these cranks you first recommended. If there is a problem with them I won't come crying to you. My regular bike shop has corona hours and they're closed Tuesday and Wednesday so I went to a cut rate guy in the industrial section of town. His hours are 1 pm to 10 pm, I showed up at 2 pm and the guy was sitting on his ass which didn't give me a general good feeling. When he wanted to look at the bike there was no stand he just flipped it upside down on his work bench. Bike tools on the wall were sparse. Then I showed him the ebay print out I made of the cranks you suggested and asked him if he needed to take a measurement or something, he's got a heavy Irish accent and he's hard to understand but he told me they'll fit maybe and go ahead and order them. Left my bike there gonna bring him the cranks when they ship from ebay, if the guy tries to screw me I'm having him deported on the first Aer Lingus flight leaving California.
Old 06-09-20, 06:54 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Turned your bike upside down on his bench eh? He should be deported and keel-hauled on the ship that takes him back...
Old 06-10-20, 07:59 AM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Turned your bike upside down on his bench eh? He should be deported and keel-hauled on the ship that takes him back...
Pretty sure he's cooking his Yelp reviews, pages and pages of all 5 star. Forgot to mention when he was wheeling my bike back he bumped the dropbars on an open toolbox drawer bet you my tape has a gouge.

One more question I'm thinking about the cranks you picked out, I think I understand you suggested them so I could go smaller with the chainring down to like a 32. If I'm totally content with a 52/40 chainring do you think there are better SR Apex options on ebay?
Old 06-10-20, 09:07 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
New chainrings for that crankset are, well, they're expensive. They simply don't make them anymore. In my opinion those cranks shouldn't have been recommended. If you want to drop to a set of rings with fewer teeth it may cost $70 plus shipping/tax.

Has anyone purchased from this site? https://store.bicycleczar.com/category-s/420.htm

It's the cheapest source for small rings this side of the Atlantic that I could find. Anyone else know a good source?

​​​​​​
Old 06-10-20, 09:55 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Stronglight quite literally makes them new for Spa Cycles. Cost is reasonable, shipping is reasonable

Unrelated my comment above, the comments of “shipping someone back to where they came from” are completely unnecessary.
Old 06-10-20, 10:00 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by natterberry
Stronglight quite literally makes them new for Spa Cycles. Cost is reasonable, shipping is reasonable

Unrelated my comment above, the comments of “shipping someone back to where they came from” are completely unnecessary.
Well, that's good news. It's still a bad crank recommendation considering there's only one manufacturer left compared to....how many for 110 BCD? And they're across the ocean. And expensive.
Old 06-10-20, 11:37 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Pretty sure he's cooking his Yelp reviews, pages and pages of all 5 star. Forgot to mention when he was wheeling my bike back he bumped the dropbars on an open toolbox drawer bet you my tape has a gouge.

One more question I'm thinking about the cranks you picked out, I think I understand you suggested them so I could go smaller with the chainring down to like a 32. If I'm totally content with a 52/40 chainring do you think there are better SR Apex options on ebay?
If you only need 40 as your lowest, I would look for a crank with a 130 bcd, much easier to find chainrings for them. Shimano 600 is a common crank which has 130 bcd.

Search "130 bcd 40" or "130 bcd 52" in ebay you'll see what I mean. 42T is much more common though, if not low enough, you could always go with larger cogged freewheel
Old 06-10-20, 11:44 AM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

If you only need 40 as your lowest, I would look for a crank with a 130 bcd, much easier to find chainrings for them. Shimano 600 is a common crank which has 130 bcd.

Search "130 bcd 40" or "130 bcd 52" in ebay you'll see what I mean. 42T is much more common though, if not low enough, you could always go with larger cogged freewheel
Thanks. I'm content with your pick just asking.
Old 06-10-20, 12:10 PM
branko_76 

put these on your radar.......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sak...sAAOSwLatesYdg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Strongl...QAAOSwaShdojTa

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-STRONGL...gAAOSw~wReaUiG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-STRONGL...kAAOSw6nNeaUkF

just search "86 bcd"
Old 07-01-20, 01:45 PM
Paint Job Steve
Banned

Quick question, I got my cranks put on less than two weeks ago, this morning I noticed a chainring bolt MIA and the other bolts pretty loose. When the cranks arrived from ebay I noticed they were loose then and I told the bike shop guy about that and he said he'd take care of it. I'm getting in touch with him shortly to see what he says, just curious if it is possible that he did tighten them and all 5 bolts somehow came loose? Also what is the etiquette if he tries to charge me to replace the missing bolt? I don't want to be an ahole about it but I think a free one is in order.