Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro North to Poughkeepsie Saturday with Bikes

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-23, 08:38 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts

Going strictly by the PDF schedule it looks like the farthest you can go with a bicycle on the morning trains is Croton Harmon, whereas you can return from Poughkeepsie on a bike-friendly train in the afternoon.

Am I reading this wrong? Or, once we’re out of the city, would they care if we transferred to a Poughkeepsie-bound with our bicycles at the Croton-Harmon station?

if anyone knows about this I would appreciate your insights.
Old 07-28-23, 03:36 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Visit the MTA homepage. You can select amongst Subway Bus Rail to view current service issues.

and

View MTA's train schedules online.

I can't copy/paste a narrowly-targeted URL for e.g.: GCT - Poughkeepsie. Some things are do-it-yourself.
Old 07-28-23, 04:32 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I would be surprised if they ban bikes on a weekend train.
Old 07-28-23, 06:31 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I would be surprised if they ban bikes on a weekend train.
Looking at the PDF of the Hudson Line timetable, I see what may have provoked @Headpost's query: the only northbound trains displaying the bicycle icon are between GCT and Croton-Harmon. In contrast, southbound trains with that icon are between Poughkeepsie and GCT.

Further, MTA does restrict bicycles on trains during weekday rush hours. Strangely, there's an icon for that on the PDF, but it's not deployed on the actual schedule. Fear not: this MTA web page offers details. But this doesn't pertain to @Headpost's query.

My experience - First (and most important): on any train, the conductor is the boss. Second, with extremely rare exceptions, Metro North train crews are delightfully accommodating. Just don't be a jerk. Third - some specifics: some trains have capacious room for bicycles. Really - it's a small parking lot. Others not so much. Unfortunately, this is somewhat random, more random than one might expect.
Likes For arbee:
Old 07-28-23, 07:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by arbee
Looking at the PDF of the Hudson Line timetable, I see what may have provoked @Headpost's query: the only northbound trains displaying the bicycle icon are between GCT and Croton-Harmon. In contrast, southbound trains with that icon are between Poughkeepsie and GCT.

Further, MTA does restrict bicycles on trains during weekday rush hours. Strangely, there's an icon for that on the PDF, but it's not deployed on the actual schedule. Fear not: this MTA web page offers details. But this doesn't pertain to @Headpost's query.

My experience - First (and most important): on any train, the conductor is the boss. Second, with extremely rare exceptions, Metro North train crews are delightfully accommodating. Just don't be a jerk. Third - some specifics: some trains have capacious room for bicycles. Really - it's a small parking lot. Others not so much. Unfortunately, this is somewhat random, more random than one might expect.
My thought was take the bike onboard, first or last car. I bet the conductor will not know the rules and let it go.
Old 07-30-23, 10:01 PM
Headpost

Thanks for the replies. The trip was cancelled but will hopefully be rescheduled.

I plan to just bring our bikes on the train and see what happens, as suggested. We'll see how it goes.
Likes For Headpost:
Old 07-31-23, 07:22 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by arbee
the only northbound trains displaying the bicycle icon are between GCT and Croton-Harmon.
Here's one of the amusingly inexplicable things about Metro-North that I don't believe is explained in any of their literature:

- that bicycle icon indicates that the train is a designated "bike train" ...but it's not at all clear what that designation means, because you can take bikes on any train (except during rush hour).

More often than not I and my cycling compatriots will strive to avoid those designated "bike trains".
We also strive to be friendly and gracious towards the conductors, and use whichever car they direct us to.
In 16 or 17 years of bringing my bike on Metro-North trains I have never had a conductor tell me "you can't bring bikes on this train."
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 08-01-23, 08:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
More often than not I and my cycling compatriots will strive to avoid those designated "bike trains".
why is that?
Old 08-01-23, 02:18 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
why is that?
Because Metro-North hasn't sufficiently explained what the designation means, and there is no penalty for bringing a bike on the non-designated trains.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 08-01-23, 06:27 PM
Steve B.

Because Metro-North hasn't sufficiently explained what the designation means, and there is no penalty for bringing a bike on the non-designated trains.
A conductor can refuse the bike, or ask you to get off.
Old 08-01-23, 06:53 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by Steve B.
A conductor can refuse the bike, or ask you to get off.
Right, any day of the week, at their discretion...so what are you gonna do? Say "hey, but there's a tiny bicycle icon next to this listing on the schedule, YOU HAVE TO LET ME ON!" ???
Yeah, I don't think so.
Old 08-01-23, 09:58 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Metro North bike regulations explain it:
Originally Posted by Metro North
Weekdays: maximum 4 bicycles per train: no more than 2 bicycles per car
Weekends: maximum 8 per train: no more than 2 bicycles per car, except on trains designated on schedules and in the TrainTime app as a Bicycle Train
In reality I have seen these limits exceeded with no problem, but the train was not super crowded. In the TrainTime app some trains have a "no bicycles" sign - they allow absolutely no bicycles. Some have no sign - they allow bicycles. Some have a "bike train" sign - they officially allow more bicycles than those with no sign.

Edit: the same it true re: the PDF schedule. Whenever the bikes are prohibited, it explicitly says so at the top (e.g., AM peak inbound trains). Otherwise bikes are allowed, and the trains with the bike sign allow even more of them.

Last edited by csport; 08-01-23 at 10:03 PM.
Likes For csport:
Old 08-02-23, 09:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
ok it sounded like there was some reason to go out of your way to avoid them. maybe I misread that out of context
Old 08-06-23, 09:10 AM
Headpost

Thanks for all the information! This clears up my confusion with the schedules and is hopefully helpful to other cyclists in the future.

Until they change the system again…