Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ovalized Headtube option

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ovalized Headtube option

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 05:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by hankj
We? Go ahead and be out. Absolutely zero useful info, but much "I'm the expert" huffing and puffing. I've built more than 50 bikes up from frames you hump, the bearing isn't upside down. Jeez.

​​
Please step away from your device and take a breather. You're getting all worked up because one of the most experienced and patient posters here can't read your mind or doesn't know of specific details that really do mater when trying to find solutions long distance.

I, too, was misled by the thread's title and went on to read that the cup was moving within the headtube's end. Not that the bearing was moving within the cup. I am not going to take the time right now to reread the entire thread with this new and very important description. But I will later and might offer more specific thoughts. Andy
Old 03-22-24, 08:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
OK, I reread this thread and easily see why most of us went down the ovalized HT path while thinking the cup was moving within the HT end. I have a few thoughts beyond the lack of best initial description as to were the slop was thought to be at.

First is if the top stack's bearing seating angles are to spec. There's both 36* and 45* angles to the conical seats out there and I have seen them confused. But the slop happening to both the old and the new makes this less the likely issue.

Next might be the lack of the conical centering and pressure split ring that many threadless headsets use, or the wrong one (much like the bearings there are different conical angles for these rings). Again the problem would usually show up both fore/aft and side to side. I will say that bearing slop is far easier to detect the fore/aft slop then the sideways one, given the frame generally being in line with the fore/aft movement.

I am not completely in agreement with the cup always being stiffer radially than the HT is. Or maybe I should be more specific. The back 1/3 to 1/2 of the HT circumference is supported by the top tube's miter and joint. So this portion of the HT won't see much distortion as compared to the front portion of the HT circumference. The front side might be only the HT wall thickness or that and a reinforcing ring, but still lacks the greater 3D structure of the back side with that TT joint. Whether it is the cup or the HT, or some combo of both, that distorts on assembly could be investigated with careful measurements of the before assembly HT OD at recorded points about the top end, cup skirt OD and cup bearing seat ID and the same at different amounts of cup press in. As the cup is pressed further in the uneven stress on it will increase if the HT ID isn't round. By measuring the cups ID one might see this. By measuring at different amounts of cup insertion one might see this deformation progress, helping to confirm the theory. .

I suspect there's some pretty basic thing going on. If the OP can't figure it out I hope they find someone who can sort it out, and we can find out what really was happening. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 03-22-24 at 08:54 PM.
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 03-22-24, 09:13 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
I would agree that the HT might be ovalized, and this makes the cup distort as well - because this is not a loose ball headset with an upper steel race, but a lightweight aluminum cup that is not necessarily as stiff as a steel HT. So the assumption that the headset upper cup is going to correct the oval is likely inaccurate in the case of a Cane Creek 40.

So the OP might be exactly right that his HT is an oval, and that oval might just be distortion rather than from reaming - since the upper race is both tight and ovalized as well. And both the cup and the HT should be measurably ovalized with calipers.

If the HT is distorted, pressing in a good old fashioned steel headset race may solve the problem. Pop it out and re-measure. If not, a rag and dead blow hammer followed by pressing the steel race again.
Old 03-22-24, 10:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Re Loctite 660, that fills in between bearing and cup, correct?

Can it get in the bearing and cause problems? Or cause the bearing to get stuck in the cup?

Should it fill gap at the front of bearing, or the back, or both? I'm assuming front so Loctite only has to resist braking, not constant load from #205 rider and gear? But maybe both front and back?

Thanks
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I suspect (can't know) that the issue might be the result of unthinking frame prep, by a rank amateur mechanic.

Consider, the head tube ID (when round) is matched to the head cups. Actually slightly under allowing reaming to an exact ID for a proper interference fit (under 0.5mm). Even if it were ovalized afterward, the circumference would be unchanged, so pressing the cup in would restore the correct fit by forcing it round.

However, consider if it were ovalized BEFORE someone opted to pass a reamer through. The reamer would cut from the narrow side, but, obviously, not add that metal back to the long side. The result is that the minor diameter is now correct, but the long side still too long, causing EXACTLY what you describe.

The above assumes a relatively new bike. If this were a well used mtn bike, there's the possibility that repetitive impacts caused bellmouth of the lower head tube, but that could only appky ot the lower cup.
I'm pretty sure FB pegged it. I would fill both the front and back with the Loctite so that cup goes nowhere. If it can move it will do it's best to shatter the Loctite. Only in front? Over time and after enough pothole hits, etc, the cup may work itself a little further into the rear section, then slam forward when you do a hard stop.

Use lots of Loctite. So it splays out as you insert the cup. Grease the race ahead of time so any Loctite that finds itself there cannot adhere and will be easy to wipe or chip out. (I don't know what the Loctite is. I'm giving you good advise for epoxy. And assuming you are going to leave the press on until the Loctite sets up.)
Old 03-22-24, 10:12 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm pretty sure FB pegged it. I would fill both the front and back with the Loctite so that cup goes nowhere. If it can move it will do it's best to shatter the Loctite. Only in front? Over time and after enough pothole hits, etc, the cup may work itself a little further into the rear section, then slam forward when you do a hard stop.

Use lots of Loctite. So it splays out as you insert the cup. Grease the race ahead of time so any Loctite that finds itself there cannot adhere and will be easy to wipe or chip out. (I don't know what the Loctite is. I'm giving you good advise for epoxy. And assuming you are going to leave the press on until the Loctite sets up.)
You should read the rest of the thread. The cup isn't moving.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-23-24, 12:55 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Is there a DIY fix? It's an almost brand new frame, Salsa Fargo steel. I live in Seattle and there are a couple of super experienced steel frame builders in town here. I'm sure they could cut out the head tube and put in a new one, but I'd also bet that might be $500, maybe more with the need than to repaint the frame
Does the head tube show signs of reaming and facing at both ends? Possibly before paint. If it doesn't then that's an easy place to start, otherwise I'd be inclined to tap it on the front with a less-damaging impact tool of some sort to see what difference it makes. Although it's more likely that it has previously been dropped on its head and ovalised in the other direction, these small adjustments are reversible. I suppose it might have already been squashed and then stretched back ...
Old 03-23-24, 01:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
At the risk of re-offending the OP, and with respect to his VAST 50 builds experience, has he bothered to confirm that the heat tube is ovalized, by the simple expedient of actually measuring it?

IF, it is in fact ovalized, that's easily fixed, by any one with decent hands on experience, and no special tools needed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-23-24, 06:42 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
At the risk of re-offending the OP, and with respect to his VAST 50 builds experience, has he bothered to confirm that the heat tube is ovalized, by the simple expedient of actually measuring it?
Post #9 above mentions the difficulty he had trying to measure it accurately.
Old 03-23-24, 07:26 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by grumpus
Post #9 above mentions the difficulty he had trying to measure it accurately.
And it might be unnecessary since the bearing itself shows that the cup distorts into an oval when pressed in. It is hard to imagine another cause - if the HT is already properly prepped. If not, it could be that the HT hasn't been reamed and is undersized, and the alloy cups are ovalizing because they are being squeezed into too small a space.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-23-24, 07:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...any chance of switching to a headset with steel cups, just to see what happens ? Or are those unobtainable for this frame and fork ? Way easier and cheaper than trying to replace or manipulate the headtube round enough to accept the alloy headset that's not working.
Old 03-23-24, 08:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Sorry, I don't buy it. A head tune ovalized so slightly that it can't be measured, yet causing all this grief.

However, I'm not going to argue, and instead suggest that the OP does what Admiral Hopper would have done and properly MEASURE IT. If he can't, then he needs to find someone who can, since we certainly can't do that over the internet. The OP is in Seattle, a city blessed with plenty of highly qualified shops. Offhand I recommend R&E Cycles, but there are others. The correct way to measure, and KNOW what's what is with a Go/NoGo plug gauge like the one here.

Of course the OP and others may prefer to wring their hands and speculate about all kinds of possibilities, and that's their right.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-23-24, 08:44 PM
Kontact 

Sorry, I don't buy it. A head tune ovalized so slightly that it can't be measured, yet causing all this grief.

However, I'm not going to argue, and instead suggest that the OP does what Admiral Hopper would have done and properly MEASURE IT. If he can't, then he needs to find someone who can, since we certainly can't do that over the internet. The OP is in Seattle, a city blessed with plenty of highly qualified shops. Offhand I recommend R&E Cycles, but there are others. The correct way to measure, and KNOW what's what is with a Go/NoGo plug gauge like the one here.

Of course the OP and others may prefer to wring their hands and speculate about all kinds of possibilities, and that's their right.
What are you going to do with the information? You've warned the OP off from reaming.

This thread took a really weird course because most misread that the cup was loose. But all this thread really amounts to is "My aluminum cup is distorted when I press it in." Answer: "Do the standard frame prep."

The OP did measure, and said that the difference between width and length was slight. That doesn't indicate a big potential gap, so I don't see why traditional frame prep isn't the correct course. Whether the HT is a bit oval or just a bit small, the cup is being distorted because something is too tight. Ream and face fixes that.

Most of the weirdness in this thread are just because most misunderstood the first post. The cup isn't moving - it is distorted. Do the normal frame prep.

Last edited by Kontact; 03-23-24 at 08:49 PM.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-23-24, 09:10 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Kontact
What are you going to do with the information? You've warned the OP off from reaming..
Sorry, I never did that. In fact, I gave the OP too much credit and assumed that the frame was prepped and whatever might be wrong, happened before he got it.

I still don't know whether it's ever been reamed or not. If not ---- determined by gauge ---- then the tube should be checked for roundness and corrected, if necessary, before reaming.

As for what I'd do with the info if the OP gauges the tube ----absolutely nothing, and let the OP use that info any way he wants.

In any case, I don't post here to be right or wrong, or smarter than you or anyone else. I post to help folks solve a problem. What they choose to do with that info is up to them.

In this case, and at this point, my advice to the OP is to let someone do the necessary measurement, then take their advice.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-24-24 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-24-24, 05:48 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
I doubt a Salsa frame came with the head tube reamed and faced from the factory. If I were the OP that’s the first thing I would’ve done.
Likes For bboy314: