Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stripped Crank Arm

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stripped Crank Arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 10:14 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Stripped Crank Arm

An unnamed knucklehead stripped the threads on my Alivio crank arm (square bottom bracket).

Does anyone know any good tricks for getting it off, or am I going to have to resort to a bandsaw?

TIA, Mike
Old 03-25-24, 10:32 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
I feel for you. I've lost a crank or two that way, even after stopping and using lots of penetrant after the pulling got hard. Sometimes the crank threads lose the battle - even sadder when it's a rare and valuable old crank you wanted to save.

I've tried a jaw puller, but with 0% success. What has worked is multiple cuts with an angle grinder, working carefully in case you want to salvage the bottom bracket.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-25-24, 10:43 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-...iABEgIRmvD_BwE
Of the appropriate size-
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-26-24, 06:26 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Often, removing the mounting bolt and riding around the block a few times is enough to work the arm loose. Don't go too far from home/shop, as once it gets loose you'll want to stop riding and walk back, or risk ruining the crank arm. There are kits to cut new threads into stripped arms; too costly for a one-off job, but perhaps a local shop has one.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-26-24, 07:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
One trick is to go ride the bike with a crank arm retaining bolt only finger tight. In time the crank will come loose and the bolt will keep it from falling off the bike while you limp home. Andy
Old 03-26-24, 09:29 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One trick is to go ride the bike with a crank arm retaining bolt only finger tight. In time the crank will come loose and the bolt will keep it from falling off the bike while you limp home. Andy
A variation on this----

Back the bolt off half turn from tight, and do sprint intervals near home. The arm will come free with an audible pop.

If that fails, leave the bolt off and join some friends on a century in the Poconos. (based on experience)

Otherwise, buy a pair of #6 Jacob's Chuck wedges for a few dollars.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-26-24, 09:41 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Often, removing the mounting bolt and riding around the block a few times is enough to work the arm loose. Don't go too far from home/shop, as once it gets loose you'll want to stop riding and walk back, or risk ruining the crank arm. There are kits to cut new threads into stripped arms; too costly for a one-off job, but perhaps a local shop has one.
Sounds like the crank arm is already ruined, but yes, loosen the bolt and ride. If a local bike shop has a tap to recut the threads, the crank arm might be salvageable.
Old 03-26-24, 11:03 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Sounds like the crank arm is already ruined, but yes, loosen the bolt and ride. If a local bike shop has a tap to recut the threads, the crank arm might be salvageable.
This is a common misconception. Unless the damaged threads are limited to the outermost few, you cannot magically cut new threads to save a stripped crank. While it might be possible to restore some thread by chasing (not cutting) the damaged threads, they simply won't have the strength needed for pulling a crank.

Likewise, tapping new threads, would mean a larger size for which you'd need to seek a non-existent remover.

HOWEVER - if one ops to use Jacob's Chuck wedges, the crank can be reused and removed the same way as often as needed. Likewise, with the ride till it comes loose approach, though that would be less convenient.

In summary, I see no need to "fix" or trash the otherwise good crank arm.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-26-24, 11:57 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
One trick I used once was to loosen the bolt a turn or two, get yourself an assistant to hold the bike a few inches off and parallel to the floor by holding onto the crankarm or chainrings and then you use a drift to give a decent smack to the head of the crank bolt. This should move the crank just enough to come loose from the BB axle. Don't get too carried away with the hammer and may take a few hits. Heat to the crank first may help a little but to be safe pour some boiling water over it rather than a flame.
Old 03-26-24, 12:20 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Use a bearing seperator/puller if you wish to salvage the crank arm. It will do the least amount of damage, if any.

Old 03-26-24, 03:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

JA Stein made (makes currently?) a crank extractor thread repair kit It has an oversized thread tap (pilot too IIRC) and the now oversized extractor/puller.

Bicycle Research and BR offered an extractor thread chaser w/ pilot. here's a shot of it. Andy
Old 03-26-24, 04:17 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Otherwise, buy a pair of #6 Jacob's Chuck wedges for a few dollars.
I've had that fail several times, on cheap MTB cranks with riveted chainrings. I couldn't get the wedges placed in way that didn't end up blocked by the inner chainring.
Old 03-26-24, 04:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

tapping new threads, would mean a larger size for which you'd need to seek a non-existent remover.
That's how the VAR kit I mentioned above works. It cuts new, 24mm x 1.5mm threads, and then sell the customer the 24 x 1.5 thread self-extractors for subsequent crank removals.
Old 03-26-24, 04:36 PM
FBinNY 

I've had that fail several times, on cheap MTB cranks with riveted chainrings. I couldn't get the wedges placed in way that didn't end up blocked by the inner chainring.
True, but my rule is try the easy way until/unless it won't work. The beauty of using these (which used to be dirt cheap) is that when they work, you know that are can be reused and remover the same way, saving the cost of replacing.

That's how the VAR kit I mentioned above works. It cuts new, 24mm x 1.5mm threads, and then sell the customer the 24 x 1.5 thread self-extractors for subsequent crank removals.
Yes, and BITD we also sometimes retapped cranks to use Stronglight removers. But, IMO, we need to self impose cost limits for saving anything short of a true collectible.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-26-24, 05:35 PM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
One time the outer few threads on a crank arm were buggered up and I just couldn't get the crank puller started. I machined a steel rod to both fit closely into the bolt hole of the bottom bracket axle (so the rod was square) and a close fit on the hole in the crank puller. Once the crank puller was all lined up I was able to get it started. Carefully working it in, I eventually got it all the way seated and had enough threads into the crank arm to allow the puller to work. This is not very helpful advice if you don't have access to a lathe, however. Sorry if this therefore doesn't help!
Likes For joeruge:
Old 03-26-24, 06:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
JA Stein made (makes currently?) a crank extractor thread repair kit It has an oversized thread tap (pilot too IIRC) and the now oversized extractor/puller.

....I have one, and it works well. The little inserts he makes, to turn the crank arm back into one that accepts a standard puller, are only available sporadically. But he does list them on his website. All his stuff is well made and very functional. I had several classic cranks that were stripped by less skilled mechanics, over at the bike co-op here. So for me it made sense as an investment.

https://steintool.com/portfolio-item...-system/...175 bucks (ouch).

For the OP, I would just either find a pickle fork, or an angle grinder, destroy that Alivio crank removing it, and replace with something better. But I have stuff that is better.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 03-26-24 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-26-24, 06:56 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Drill chuck wedges.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...dge-sizes.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-26-24, 08:45 PM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Andy, this tool looks essentially like what was trying to describe. I'm guess that the smaller threaded 'stud' screws into the axle of the bottom bracket and it aligns the thread cutting portion. I didn't know they made such a thing. Very cool!
Old 03-26-24, 10:05 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Riding it with the crank bolt loose sounds promising.
Old 03-27-24, 06:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by joeruge
Andy, this tool looks essentially like what was trying to describe. I'm guess that the smaller threaded 'stud' screws into the axle of the bottom bracket and it aligns the thread cutting portion. I didn't know they made such a thing. Very cool!
And the other end of the pilot threads onto "stud-type" axles. But it only works if the arm threads are damaged, but not stripped. And AFAIK, it's been out of production for many years now.
Old 03-27-24, 07:34 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Likewise, tapping new threads, would mean a larger size for which you'd need to seek a non-existent remover.
Easy enough to make one, find a buddy with a lathe.
Old 03-27-24, 08:06 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by grumpus
Easy enough to make one, find a buddy with a lathe.
And can harden the tool after single pointing and slitting. Andy
Old 03-27-24, 08:43 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
And can harden the tool after single pointing and slitting. Andy
Is it worth the effort for a few uses? Just cut the two threads in some cold rolled round bar - done; you could knurl it or mill flats for easier use. And you'd have to mount the crank on an axle (or mount it on a face plate) and thread that too. People do this stuff for fun, you just have to find them.

Last edited by grumpus; 03-27-24 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-27-24, 09:39 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
J.A. Stein also makes a version of it. I have one of those along with an extractor tool.
EDIT: Guess it was already mentioned, but I will say +1 to those that say it works well.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 03-27-24 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-27-24, 09:40 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
just loosen the bolt and ride around the block a couple times.

/markp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.