Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Question about fluid replacement ..

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 05:44 PM
trigger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey...

This is only my second season of biking, and my first full one. I've been taking my riding more seriously this summer, and am frequently completing ride of 60+ miles. I've just been drinking water, and on the longer rides I've been taking an oatmeal cookie or two with me as well. Physically, I can complete the rides, and don't feel bad when I get off the bike. However, I find that for the rest of the day I am a little bit "off" in the head, and running a mild headache even if I am conscious to drink lots of water.

It just struck me that perhaps I need to replace my plain water with something else on longer rides? I never really thought much about replacing salt / electrolytes, but is that what could be happening? I don't eat a lot of salt in my regular diet, and did notice that the sweat on my face last ride was pretty salty.

Suggestions on how to beat these headaches and for better hydration??

Thanks
Old 07-24-08, 07:12 PM
DanteB

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I'm doing a longer ride on a warm to hot day, I'll weigh myself just before the ride and them again right after the ride to see how much water I lost. Water weighs 8 pounds gallon, if I'm 2 pounds lighter than I've lost 1 quart of water and in the next few hours I'll try to replace it. On a ride the other day I lost water at the rate of 46 ozs. per hour, or about 2 large bottles per hour. I've been adding an electrolyte product call Elete Water to my water this year and it seems to help with cramps (I've had none so far this year). Being dehydrated will cause me to have headaches.
Old 07-27-08, 04:02 PM
urbanwhitetrash
Wet behind the ears

Bikes: '08 Tomasso Velocita, 06 Kona Dr. Dew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look into Coconut water, it's the juice from young green coconuts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_water

It has a similar level of electrolytes found in human blood, it's got potassium, it's low fat, low sugar and when served cold is great after a long ride.

Also works for well for hangovers
Old 07-27-08, 10:13 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It could easily be that you're down on electrolytes.

Try these two articles:

https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx/arch...ion-drink.aspx

https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx/arch...ing-salty.aspx

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 07-28-08, 09:11 AM
stampylisa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi new here

Hello, new to the forum, but know a lot about this subject. was a trainer for a 20 mile walk for suicide prevention in 05 & 06, have organized the local 5K for past two. Also, my husband and I wanted to find a healthier alternative to the high fructose corn syrup or chemical sweeteners in traditional buck a gallon sports drinks.

Coconut water as one other person stated, is the best thing you can use. I recommend actually switching off. One rest, drink water, next rest drink coconut water.
We like the kind at Whole Foods, in a can, can't think of the name (amy and dan or something like that), but has a touch of lime too.
they also have in boxes, like juice boxes both big and single servings.

The "off in the head" feeling after finishing is def some imbalance. I got that way after doing 12-15 mile walks in the hot summer sun, even with electrolytes.-only after resting in a cool place with more fluids and a bathroom nearby (the rest of the fluid has to go someplace ) did I feel better. We'd go eat buffalo wild wings afterwards and I felt better part way thru the meal.

You definitely need to replenish your electrolytes if you are riding hard, far and in hot weather. Your body will tell you via your urine output. if it's dark, not much, and yellow, you are dehydrated and need to get more fluids. you will also need more fluid in a drier climate or condition than a humid one. the headaches are almost guaranteed from your hydration. in fact, before anyone takes aspirin for anything, down a 12-18 oz glass of water, wait about 15-20 mins and see if that doesn't help before medicating. hope this helps. Elite water is supposed to be good too, I haven't tried but they sell it at running stores and tri stores.

Last edited by stampylisa; 07-28-08 at 09:16 AM.