Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike shorts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 11:04 AM
cpf_carrot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shorts?

I'm looking at getting bike shorts for when I go riding longer distances, but I'm having a hard time making sense of it all. There are a lot of options and not much specific as to what I should look for when choosing some. I don't want to drop a lot of cash trying out a whole bunch, either. Do I go for a few sizes up? I'm normally about 32 to 34.

Right now I'm looking at the "Nashbar LQ8 Short" which seems to be a fair price and is 8-panel, which I gather is a desirable feature. How does that look to you guys?
Old 07-29-08, 11:13 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No you probably want to get what fits. ill-fitting lycra is no fun.

The Panels are a two edged sword. They are there to prevent "bunching" but depending on how they are made, you need to watch out where the seems sit, as you want it relatively smooth where any contact is being made with the bike.

Now, I am not an expert with nashbar, but I hear their stuff isn't of great quality. If cycling is something you like, it's better to get something nice, even if it costs a little extra.

For me, if I am going to be using it a lot, especially when it comes to comfort, it is worth it to be the best I can get. Does that mean the most expensive? Nope. Get what works best for you.
Old 07-29-08, 11:20 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Try velowear.com
Reasonable quality shorts that won't bankrupt your wallet.
Old 07-29-08, 11:23 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've had much better luck with Voler than Nashbar. Try https://www.velowear.com/products/1110192PRTXSM.aspx
Old 07-29-08, 11:47 AM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ +3

Quality + budget = Voler/Velowear.com
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 07-29-08, 12:28 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Get two, or maybe three, different shorts from different brands, and maybe throw in a bib while you're at it. You don't need to get your entire stash at once, either.

The point is, you can't know "what works good for you" until you also find out what doesn't work so well. Almost any biking short is nicer than regular athletic shorts, yet after a while, you'll probably find yourself preferring a particular brand or model. Once you do, stick with them when you get more.
Old 07-29-08, 12:47 PM
joelh

Bikes: Waterford Rs 22, GT ZuM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought 2 pairs of cycling shorts. One for REI, their Norvata brand for about $45. The other from Nashbar, their essential short for $25. The REI short is much much better. I didn't realized there would be that much difference. I will try other brands, but will stay away from Nashbar. I would rather spend more and have something that I can use.
Old 07-29-08, 01:34 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
+4 for velowear.com

If you sign up for their emails you get $$ off on future purchases.

Bibs are much more comfortable than shorts. I have 0 pair of shorts and 10 pairs of bibs. Once you try them you'll never go back.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-29-08, 03:20 PM
ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
+4 for velowear.com

If you sign up for their emails you get $$ off on future purchases.

Bibs are much more comfortable than shorts. I have 0 pair of shorts and 10 pairs of bibs. Once you try them you'll never go back.
I have two shorts and my team jersey only comes in bib form.....

I don't have a problem with butt-crack-showing-syndrome, so I see no reason to wear them unless I'm racing.
Old 07-29-08, 04:20 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
+1

I can't imagine why anyone would buy shorts over bibs, there's a huge difference in comfort.
Old 07-29-08, 10:17 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
+1

I can't imagine why anyone would buy shorts over bibs, there's a huge difference in comfort.
Neer having worn bibs I don't know so can you guys explain that statement? Why would bibs be more comfortable that shorts? I don't have "butt crack" syndrome either. I've heard that some bibs are cut for shorter torso/longer leg proportions and can pull and cause chaffing with those of us with the opposite physical proportions.

For the OP, every person is different so it would be impossible to recomend a specific pair of shorts for you but since you mentioned you want to use them for longer rides, I would recomend starting with some intended for that purpose. These are often marketed as "century" or "touring" shorts. They tend to have a bit bulkier pad than a racing short but are fairly comfortable. Expect to spend $50-$75 for decent shorts.
Old 07-30-08, 08:46 AM
stampylisa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i found a BUNCH on clearance at rei .com outlet. They shipped to my closest REI store (if you have one near you) for free shipping. I tried them all on there at the store and returned the ones that didn't fit right. I had ordered about 6 pair and only a couple even fit right. They are all SO different! The ones I kept were $25 on clearance.
Old 07-30-08, 09:16 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kommisar89
Neer having worn bibs I don't know so can you guys explain that statement? Why would bibs be more comfortable that shorts? I don't have "butt crack" syndrome either. I've heard that some bibs are cut for shorter torso/longer leg proportions and can pull and cause chaffing with those of us with the opposite physical proportions.

For the OP, every person is different so it would be impossible to recomend a specific pair of shorts for you but since you mentioned you want to use them for longer rides, I would recomend starting with some intended for that purpose. These are often marketed as "century" or "touring" shorts. They tend to have a bit bulkier pad than a racing short but are fairly comfortable. Expect to spend $50-$75 for decent shorts.
1) No waist band to dig into your waist
2) The chamois tends to stay in the proper location easier
3) No crack issues
Old 07-30-08, 10:24 AM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
3) No crack issues
+1

Though I can't imagine even trying on a decent pair of shorts that would have the potential for a crack issue.

I used to have no issues with shorts before I tried bibs, but that was when I were naught but a skinny young lad...... Ah! those were the days!
Old 07-31-08, 10:38 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
3) No crack issues
Well, 1 and 3 don't seem to be an issue for me. Why would the chamois stay in the proper location easier? That really doesn't seem to be an issue either.
Old 08-01-08, 09:48 AM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, 1 and 3 don't seem to be an issue for me. Why would the chamois stay in the proper location easier? That really doesn't seem to be an issue either.
Well, if 1 and 3 aren't a problem, then 2 is less likely to be a problem as well, as I said, when I was younger and skinnier I had no problems with shorts either. If I had tried bibs then, I might have preferred them. Now, I definitely do.
Old 08-01-08, 11:33 AM
cg1985
Goon

Bikes: Rocky Mountain RC30, Soma Sport Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a lean mean 123.4 lbs. So the shorts fit just fine for me. vOv
Old 08-01-08, 11:44 AM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
I didn't think 1 was a problem either. I was fine with shorts and I never thought the waistband dug in until I tried bibs the first time, then I discovered the difference. 2 and 3 I've never had a problem with.
Old 08-01-08, 11:59 AM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my shorts from hammernutrition.com for $39.99. If you don't mind the logo, they're made by Voler, and they sent me a bunch of free samples of gels and stuff with it.. I've read that the padding is different from the one previously linked on the Voler site. Better quality.. whether it's true or not, i'm not sure, but I have been using them for a few weeks now and they're awesome.
Old 08-03-08, 01:23 PM
cpf_carrot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Dick's Sporting Goods had a pair for $30 that I tried on and seemed to fit well, so I picked those up. I've worn them on two extended rides and they are pretty comfortable, no qualms. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions; my next pair may very well come from the internet.
Old 08-03-08, 02:13 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
3) No crack issues
I like the no waist band/no draw string feature. I can breathe when climbing a hill.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-03-08, 04:59 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You get what you pay for. I used a set of Pace shorts until they were nearly rags as they supported the boys better then the Nashbar shorts. I prefer a slightly tight fit so things do not slip down between my legs and the saddle.
Old 08-03-08, 06:06 PM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a couple pairs of Pearl Izumi Quest shorts @ 48$/piece today. Going to go for 100km in them tomorrow .

The other pair of shorts i ride in stand in at 120$/piece. Fancy Sugoi shorts. I find them very comfortable, but a touch bulky if you're walking around in them.

I think both styles of shorts i wear are meant for longer distances, since it's thicker/heavier padding.
Old 08-03-08, 06:28 PM
ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the no waist band/no draw string feature. I can breathe when climbing a hill.
Are your lungs right above your wang?