Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Can you recommend an app for tracking cycling mileage?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 07:04 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

The website that I have been using for years, mycyclinglog.com, has been going downhill for a while. The owner/developer does not appear to be maintaining the site any more or with any regularity. Earlier this summer, the site went down for about a week before it was fixed. More recently it has quit tracking rides by "tags," which is how I track my commuting mileage.

Can anyone recommend any good apps for tracking cycling mileage? An app that would track other kinds of exercise would be even better. I am not looking for a GPS style app such as Strava or Cyclemeter that tracks miles while you are riding. My cycle computer handles that just fine. I am just looking for a basic app that will allow me to easily track my exercise each day by type, miles, time, average speed, etc.

I have tried using another website, bikejournal.com, but it restricts the number of fields you can use -- by their selection -- so I cannot use it to track commuting miles unless I pay for premium membership. I might not be opposed to paying for membership if I could actually use the site for a while to see how it works, but I'm reluctant to pay $20 for a tracking site that may or may not work well.

I also would rather use an app rather than a website (altho both would be great) so I can easily enter exercise with my iPhone or iPad.

Last edited by tarwheel; 10-30-14 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-30-14, 07:17 AM
rpecot

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava is really starting to grow on me. I like the social aspect of it. I recently found the BF commuters club, which doesn't seem to get a lot of discussion here. Hope I didn't breach some unspoken rule by mentioning it.

Bike Forums Commuters | Strava Club
Old 10-30-14, 07:21 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I like Endomondo ... I know you said you didn't need it to be GPS based, but it makes tracking SO easy. And I don't get tied up in trying to beat people on segments in Strava.

I think most "cycling miles" apps are GPS based because it just makes it easier. You don't have to input anything.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like what you're looking for. Maybe just a simple spreadsheet?
Old 10-30-14, 07:23 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The MapMyWhatever.com collection of sites (MapMyRide.com, etc) may be what you're looking for. Some sites, like Strava and Endomondo, depend on a GPS device or a GPS-enabled phone for data and don't support much user entered data very well. MapMyRide does support GPS devices and GPS data from their phone app but doesn't require it. In MapMyRide, you can plot a route on the site and save it then record the ride and assign it that route. You don't need routes so you can just record that you rode 15mi in 1hr2m55s and that's fine. You may record many other activities such as gym workouts, volleyball games, walking/running, virtually any activity. You don't need to have an account with MapMyRide, MapMyRun, MapMyFitness, ... to log each of the different activities, all can be logged on one (so I don't really understand why they have all of them other than to attract users with different interests).

They have an app too which allows you to run the GPS and record your route or you may just use it to enter data manually such as selecting a route and recording the time.

I find that MapMyRide is the most versatile of all of the sites.

Here is a screenshot of October for me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2014-10-30_091727.jpg (78.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 10-30-14, 07:27 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The site I've been using, mycyclinglog.com, was developed before there were any apps or before they were widely use. It is website based, however, and I can access the site through my iPhone or iPad, but it is not an app. I would prefer a tracker that has an app as well as website, so I can use it on my desktop computer as well as phone or tablet.

I have had apps with Strava and Endomondo in the past but didn't keep them because they seemed to be data/battery hogs. I also found that the GPS trackers on these apps consistently under-report mileage compared to my cycle computers. However, I hadn't considered using those apps to manually enter and track exercise, and wasn't aware you could use them for that.
Old 10-30-14, 07:29 AM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I'd also like to chime in for using STRAVA. I think it gets a lot of flack because people are competitive about it and some people seem to like strava more than they like biking....

BUT

It is a really great app. If you WANT to be competitive (with yourself or with others) it is amazing. I can see every day how I did on my commute on certain segments (climbs, etc.) against every single other time I've ridden that route. I can see where I stand in comparison to other commuters in my area. If you go premium you can use heatmaps which show every road you have every ridden on since you used the app. I also like how it gives you the option to choose different bikes in the app (which you program in), it gives you weekly mileage, gives you graphs comparing your riding week-by-week throughout the year.

The route-mapping feature, which is relatively new, is BY FAR significantly better than any other program for mapping out your rides. You can even use the app while you ride as a type of turn-by-turn like a GPS.

I think the interface is smooth - works well on iphones and androids, and on your computer.

(also - it is super easy to manually enter rides)
Old 10-30-14, 07:40 AM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
What's funny is that I have used the Strava, Endomondo and MapMyRide apps on my iPhone in the past but got rid of them. I was using them mainly to track rides using their GPS function but, like I said, they were data and battery hogs. They would undercount miles on rides, and the elevation gain data was worthless. However, all of them might be fine for my purposes if I can manually enter data.
Old 10-30-14, 08:44 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Call me a troglodyte if you want, but I just use an Excel spreadsheet. I take my mileage off my odometer on the bike and enter it in every day. I've gotten fancy with it where it breaks down my mileage by month and by which bike I rode.
Old 10-30-14, 09:05 AM
laflavor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Manually entering data with any of them seems like your best bet. I do a lot of workouts that aren't bike based, and map my ride has a pretty good selection that you can manually enter, in addition to the tracking feature with the phone, so it works well for me. Both the app and website are pretty easy to use.
Old 10-30-14, 09:11 AM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like forums and you like face book or sharing or just social networking all those apps like Strava are for you. Also you can get a Garmin and use their connect account which is free and get feed back that way. All apps/programs are motivation through numbers. They can be a whole lot more too.
V
Old 10-30-14, 09:18 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I use CycleMeter on my iPhone. I upgraded to the Elite status for $4.99. It tracks other types of exercise too (walking, running, etc).
--> Abvio | Cyclemeter

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-30-14, 09:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Call me a troglodyte if you want, but I just use an Excel spreadsheet. I take my mileage off my odometer on the bike and enter it in every day. I've gotten fancy with it where it breaks down my mileage by month and by which bike I rode.
Ok, you're a troglodyte!

I use a spreadsheet as well. Takes about 15 seconds to enter data, and maybe 5 minutes every year to open another tab and copy all the stuff from my mileage log from last year over and change the dates. I've got 4-5 charts I like to look at, and I'll make more if I want them.
Old 10-30-14, 09:49 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Wasn't this just posted the other day?

I use Strava because I'm a numbers junkie, and Strava lets you track miles on individual bikes, and also lets you add parts to individual bikes and retire those parts as you replace them. So you can instantly know how many miles are on your tires, chain, cassette, etc. Very handy for tinkerers and DIY folks like me.
Old 10-30-14, 09:49 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've used various apps to track/log activities and the ones I like the most are (in no particular order): endomondo, RunKeeper, and Sports Tracker.

If you were using an Android device, I'd say check out Google My Tracks- data stored locally and you choose whether to upload it manually or sync automatically. Not only that, but you can choose what to upload- either the route info or the activity data (which is saved to a spreadsheet in Google Drive).
Old 10-30-14, 10:29 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Ok, you're a troglodyte!

I use a spreadsheet as well. Takes about 15 seconds to enter data, and maybe 5 minutes every year to open another tab and copy all the stuff from my mileage log from last year over and change the dates. I've got 4-5 charts I like to look at, and I'll make more if I want them.
I've been thinking of doing the same but I have so much data on MapMyRide that I'd like to download but need a premium membership to get.
Old 10-30-14, 10:44 AM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
The MapMyWhatever.com collection of sites (MapMyRide.com, etc) may be what you're looking for. Some sites, like Strava and Endomondo, depend on a GPS device or a GPS-enabled phone for data and don't support much user entered data very well. MapMyRide does support GPS devices and GPS data from their phone app but doesn't require it. In MapMyRide, you can plot a route on the site and save it then record the ride and assign it that route. You don't need routes so you can just record that you rode 15mi in 1hr2m55s and that's fine. You may record many other activities such as gym workouts, volleyball games, walking/running, virtually any activity. You don't need to have an account with MapMyRide, MapMyRun, MapMyFitness, ... to log each of the different activities, all can be logged on one (so I don't really understand why they have all of them other than to attract users with different interests).

They have an app too which allows you to run the GPS and record your route or you may just use it to enter data manually such as selecting a route and recording the time.

I find that MapMyRide is the most versatile of all of the sites.

Here is a screenshot of October for me.

Is there any way to track different bikes using MapMyRide?

I already have an account and tried logging miles for the month of October. I like the way it logs data and the readout it gives you, but I couldn't see a way to track data by different bikes.
Old 10-30-14, 10:53 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Funny, I'm a knuckle-dragger too, but also invested in the new world. I keep a spreadsheet I've used for many years, over the years, I've tracked data with a Cateye, Endomondo, Strava, and Garmin. I use Android and the Razr Maxx has a lot of battery life, so battery life hasn't been an issue to me.

Like the OP, my wife doesn't like Endomondo or Strava on the iPhone because of the battery drain. She bought a multi-sport Garmin this summer and love the extended battery life for her phone.

My short answer is Endomondo is the best phone app, however the issues stated earlier will continue to be issues (drain the battery and not the most accurate GPS); otherwise, invest in a specific GPS device like Garmin. I'm very happy with the Garmin 510, I use it will all bikes. Garmin Connect logs all my data, and I can push that data to Endomodo and Strava automatically.
Old 10-30-14, 11:04 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb

Actually, I use a spreadsheet and MapMyRide. I had been using just MapMyRide, but they recently broke their gear tracking feature and so I added a new tab to a spreadsheet I had for other bike-related data. I still record my rides on MMR, but I update the spreadsheet at the end of the month to see where the components are.

It would be quicker to just use the spreadsheet for everything, but it's not like I'm actually going to spend less time obsessing about bike stuff anyway.
Old 10-30-14, 11:38 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel

I already have an account and tried logging miles for the month of October. I like the way it logs data and the readout it gives you, but I couldn't see a way to track data by different bikes.
There is a gear tracker but I haven't used it. Someone else on this forum has tried to use it and found it buggy. There is the possibility that you need a paid membership to see the difference between the bikes, I'm sure a free membership can log different bikes and perhaps see summaries but I'm guessing at this point.

I might try an experiment and log today's ride with one bike and tomorrow's ride with another, I'll post the results.
Old 10-30-14, 11:41 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The one thing I don't like about GPS data (keep in mind, I'm using a phone, not something more accurate like a Garmin) is (1) it is too accurate and a 15km route might be 14.7 one day, 15.5 another because I'm cutting corners or taking wide corners and I don't need that level of accuracy and (2) it is dependent on weather conditions/availability of satellite connection.
Old 10-30-14, 01:06 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I no longer have a MapMyFitness account, so can't answer your question about MMR. However, I do have an endomondo account and while I use the free one, it looks like you might be able to tag each ride with a bike and then use a tag filtered search in the Premium version (I could be wrong, though).
Old 10-30-14, 01:28 PM
TallTravel

Bikes: Trek (Fisher) 29er Mamba, Giant 64cm Defy

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using Strava for the past 4,000 miles, and I love everything about it. The free version is so feature rich I haven't begun paying yet, but almost pulled the trigger numerous times.

They use Bluetooth as their only conmmunications protocol, though, so if you already own a ANT+ transmitter, you'll need something else.

They offer 4-5 different methods for manually adding data, from the full website only.

I've used my Samsung S5 with the GPS on for 9 hours straight, so battery has not been an issue for me. I feel bad for Apple users, but hope their new phones have decent battery life.

I've got my road bike and my MTB stored on Strava, so I simply click on the bike I'm riding, whether I'm running, walking, hiking, riding, etc. I don't think there's a limit on the number of bikes you can store, but I'm sure someone else here had found the limit they'll store.

It takes me 4 seconds to start the app, 2 seconds to stop it. For me, that's not time consuming. It gives me altitude, feet climbed, mileage, group segments, individual segments, challenges, Daily average speeds, total daily miles, weekly totals, personal bests for segments, annual mileage per bike, etc, etc.

Last edited by TallTravel; 10-30-14 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-30-14, 01:39 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I quit using apps to track mileage years ago. They're all too time consuming. I have an el-cheapo speedometer with basic functions for speed, odometer, trip meter, average speed, etc. I look at the odometer once in a while to see how many total miles I've wracked up. And I reset the trip meter usually at the start of each week so I can see how far I rode that week.
Old 10-30-14, 02:03 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by jrickards
There is a gear tracker but I haven't used it. Someone else on this forum has tried to use it and found it buggy.
I was going to say that you could easily track mileage for multiple bikes, and you can if you happen to have added the bikes to your gear list before they rolled out the current Gear Tracker sponsored by Zappos, but now you can only add shoes and near as I can tell only shoes that are in their database. I suppose you could just pick a random brand of shoes and give it a "nickname" that tells you which bike it is. If you did that, you could track mileage for multiple bikes by selecting them as "gear" when you record a workout.

You used to be able to track separate mileage for things like tires and chains that you use together, but that went away when they introduced the new Gear Tracker. They claim it's going to come back at some point, but they don't have a time table for it.

Anyway, when you log a workout on MapMyRide, you can select a single piece of gear that you used for that workout and it will accumulate a mileage total. If you've signed in, you can find the Gear Tracker under the "My Home" menu.
Old 10-30-14, 05:52 PM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the same thing for the Gear tracker, only shoes. It was suggested by someone that some websites/apps are only created to generate ad revenue, it is beginning to look like MapMyWhatever is going that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.