Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 05:54 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Burr
Yup, now get your buddies to ride also
My buddy is my bike. It rides exactly the same amount I do.
Old 06-28-10, 08:48 AM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Bikes: Dahon Espresso 26" and Raleigh Passage 4.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its truly the "Journey" that is important, that's for sure!
Old 06-28-10, 12:26 PM
JohnBerry
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy - I hope my half a message didn't post - I hit the wrong button just now! To recap, my UK trip has had a rocky start: I rode the DownTube into the center of London and did a few days business there, but then left it with a cousin, as it is a little too small for me and my knees would get ruined in the Highlands. Couldn't find a decent bike to rent in London, the focus is on commuters. Everyone wanted to sell me a bike that is a duplicate of my Bianchi Volpe at home. So took the train to Edinburgh, and have found a shop here that rents out Bromptons and Hybrids. I've been drooling over Bromptons for years, but it turns out they're a little too short for me (seat-to-handlebar) also. But I may rent one for the first part of the trip with the understanding I can return it after a week if it doesn't work for me. A hybrid doesn't really appeal either, but I did a short tour in Aussie on one and it's tolerable if you don't try to battle the wind too much - some hope in the Hebrides!

Anyway "come hell or high water" I'm off tomorrow. When ya gotta go ya gotta go.
Old 06-28-10, 08:16 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy yourself.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-30-10, 12:03 AM
LAriverRat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Burr
Damn, isn't anyone doing anything/

I promise, I'll ride tomorrow if I have to use pontoons on the sides.
Ridden 741 miles this month, maybe another 60 on the 30th.
Old 07-01-10, 02:12 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are doing great, better then me.

I have been running all week with computer problems and getting a new bed and what ever, I'll try to ride Saturday then see if I can't get three rides next week.
Old 07-02-10, 10:28 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Burr, the weather has been below average heat so i can ride just about any time of the day. When it really heats up only the early am will be good. If there are any brush fires then i have to stay inside. Going north is hotter, beach is cooler. Its just that i have the time to ride after doing everything else.
Old 07-05-10, 04:00 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LAriverRat
Ridden 741 miles this month, maybe another 60 on the 30th.
I have been doing this ride three times a week, except a few days hill repeats on Usery Pass. Here is a link to todays ride. Got to leave early as it gets hot here quickly. Leave the house time between 3:30 and 4AM
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/39314157
Old 07-07-10, 07:29 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Maybe a back lash, delayed effect from last months miles. Felt very crappy since last Friday, achy, weak and, well, old. Tried to rest, still sort of forced myself today to ride. Felt better after about 24 miles but still felt sluggish. Will ride again on Friday. My question is how many of these days do you guys have a week/month? Often, sometimes, not very ofter? Just what to know what i might expect in the future. I ride about 3 to 4 times a week, avg last month was over 50 miles a trip.
Old 07-07-10, 07:32 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
They happen when I don't get a good nights sleep.

62 rides so far this year, Average 65.6 miles

Old 07-07-10, 07:35 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Maybe a back lash, delayed effect from last months miles. Felt very crappy since last Friday, achy, weak and, well, old. Tried to rest, still sort of forced myself today to ride. Felt better after about 24 miles but still felt sluggish. Will ride again on Friday. My question is how many of these days do you guys have a week/month? Often, sometimes, not very ofter? Just what to know what i might expect in the future. I ride about 3 to 4 times a week, avg last month was over 50 miles a trip.
You might want to do a google search on "over training." A fairly serious circumstance. You have a couple of the symptoms, and from what I have read, you are really pushing yourself.

Please check it out. Maybe not, but worth a look.
Old 07-07-10, 07:39 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
10 wheels, ya, i did not sleep well last night and stayed up late the other nights. Last night was dreaming of cycling all night, wife kept waking me up because i was moving around to much. Will hit the hay earlier tonight.
DnvrFox, over training did cross my mind the last couple of days. I felt very good last month and maybe just trying to add to much.
I will do the search and moderate my rides for both intensity and length and see if this will allow me to bounce back.

Last edited by LAriverRat; 07-07-10 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 07:41 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I have no problems day after day riding if I can get to bed early and sleep.

Old 07-07-10, 08:16 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

You might want to do a google search on "over training." A fairly serious circumstance. You have a couple of the symptoms, and from what I have read, you are really pushing yourself.

Please check it out. Maybe not, but worth a look.
Just read some articles. Seems i am just into OT now i think. It seems i need to increase intensity for two rides, easy spin two days(not the 75 to 85 percent that i do now) and get rest the other days. Add weight lifting and ellipse Nordic track work outs for some of the high intensity days and see how it goes in the next six weeks.
Old 07-08-10, 07:18 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My side (rib area) still hurts where I fell last Saturday (7/3). My front wheel got caught in a 1" wide rut. It was feeling ok and getting better (??) until last night. We spent most of yesterday in the car driving to through the north Georgia mountains looking at a possible summer home and riding areas. When we got home I could hardly move because of the discomfort. Its a little better this morning. I hope I'll be able to get some miles in today.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-08-10, 01:15 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonH
My side (rib area) still hurts where I fell last Saturday (7/3). My front wheel got caught in a 1" wide rut. It was feeling ok and getting better (??) until last night. We spent most of yesterday in the car driving to through the north Georgia mountains looking at a possible summer home and riding areas. When we got home I could hardly move because of the discomfort. Its a little better this morning. I hope I'll be able to get some miles in today.
There is something called a Doctor, have it checked out. I fell in February on my right side after falling in December on my left side. Big pain on my right hip but no fractures, just heavy swelling and bruising. My hip is still somewhat sore today but no real pain, just aches. I am not a Doctor but rib injuries take awhile to get better and an X-ray will help to see the damage, if any, to your ribs. Just exhale, not inhale.
Old 07-09-10, 07:37 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, in looking at my records for end of June i rode the last three days, then July 2nd and 3rd. I bit off to much as the two weeks before rode 184, 154 miles. Am going to take it easy the next week, better rest, no evening snacks. I felt much better on my ride today, which i took very easy.
Old 07-13-10, 07:27 AM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Even the youngsters build there training rides slowly. We sometimes forget we are not spring chickens anymore and get impatient with our improvement. I know I am guilty of it. I am just rebuilding my training after 107 days off the bike after my thyroid decided to abandon me. I got up to my miles per ride ok, but was soooo slow. I am just now after 4 months starting to feel like I did before my hiatus. It just took more time than I thought. I have two century rides coming up so it gives me a goal to shoot for. Barring any unforeseen problems I should make it. Good luck and be careful out there.
Old 07-17-10, 06:17 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

70+ Goals******************** (OK, we can discuss you younger 65+'rs goals, also)

I rode with Latitude65 from Alaska yesterday. He was visiting his son in CO. He is nearing 74 and I am nearing 71.

We discussed our goals just a bit. L65 is fairly new to bicycling, and he has some goals of further increasing his speed and endurance a bit. He has been doing some group riding in Alaska with a group of about 25, and wants to be able to keep up a bit better and go a bit further.

My goals are to retain the fitness I currently have in my swimming, weight lifting, stretching and bicycling. I am happy where I am - perhaps lose 10 more pounds, but that is not critical. I wouldn't mind being "more" fit, but it is definitely not a major concern.

I do enjoy the scenery and listening to the beautiful cacophony of birds we have around here, the streams and meeting and talking with other folks.

I figure that as I move into my mid and late 70's, if I can keep up the current pace, I will be doing pretty well compared to the rest of society and other folks my age.

Any thoughts on your 70+ (or 65+) goals??

Off topic a bit. I find other folks fascinating. On our ride yesterday, we came across a fellow - perhaps a bit younger than we are - who had a flat, but no spare tube and no pump. We found that another of the group of 5 had a small pump, and I sold him a tube for $5.00. But, he had absolutely no clue how to properly fix a flat, and was most definitely not interested in listening to any advice we might give him. As we left, he had the wheel still mounted on the bike (he had a QR, but didn't use it). Somehow he had managed to pull the liner out of the wheel in attempting to remove the tube while the wheel was still on the bike. I would have been glad to give advice, but he wasn't interested. My guess is that he had a long walk home, or someone got a car and took him home. Human nature is fascinating.
Old 07-19-10, 06:30 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
70+goals? First, i have to get to 70, that's goal number one. Next, see what condition i am in, keep riding as far and as fast as reasonable to keep up enjoyment. Between now and then start riding in the mountains, perhaps join a local group and do some rides with them.
Old 07-19-10, 06:55 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How old are you now Rat?

I understand what you are saying. I'm 68.7 and I feel great all the time. I guess I have slowed down some but I'm happy. Today (this month) I am painting the inside of the house when and as I feel like it.

So far, I don't know what "feel old" is and I hope I never know. When I die I just want to die and have it done with BUT right now I AM GREAT.

Because it is so hot here I put other things in front of lifting and riding (like today) but If I don't paint this morning it will be to hot this afternoon. AND the afternoons are for naps. Any fool knows that.
Old 07-19-10, 07:42 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Turned 65 in May.
Old 07-19-10, 07:59 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're still a kid.

I lived at Mount Baldy. On the weekend I went to the river because everyone came to the mountains and during the week I rode the mountains. The "Mountains" will kill you!!!
Old 07-19-10, 11:28 PM
LAriverRat

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A kid is 1 to 12, reminds me of when i played a lot of golf when i was 45 to 55, sometimes played with guys who were in their 70's. They would say the same thing, i just told them we are all old, some just older. For the mountains i am looking into putting a 28 ring for my triple OCR3. Its should be enough, i hope. My lowest GI is 47, i need to be in the 20s somewhere to do the mountains.
Old 07-31-10, 08:01 PM
OldLog

Bikes: Felt Z85

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a bike Jersey that has "Medicare eligible" on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.