Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is your local club a crash fest?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-06-10, 09:52 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

I belong to a large local club. It’s not uncommon for 100 cyclists to show up on Saturday morning. Many of the cyclists appear to be typical weekend warriors. Strong but lacking in skilz.

Over the years, I’ve seen, and heard about, a lot of accidents on these club rides. I’ve avoided many myself, simply by paying closer attention to squirrely riders.

I’d guess that there is one crash about every other month. That adds up quickly over the years.

Are there a lot of accidents on your group rides? Maybe this is all business as usual.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-06-10, 10:10 AM
Urthwhyte

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my first year riding, with a club or otherwise, and since March there have been two crashes that I know of. One was caused by someone not paying attention and riding straight into a traffic calming measure and only took out him. The other had someone come unclipped during a sprint and ended with four ambulances and five broken collarbones as well as quite a few damaged bikes.
Old 09-06-10, 10:44 AM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i went about 8 months without seeing a single crash on my rides. In the past 2 months I've seen about 10 riders go down. in about 4 crashes and I've heard of many more. Maybe it's a summer thing.
Old 09-06-10, 12:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I haven't seen many crashes. The most recent was at a Critical Mass ride ( imagine that, right? ) when this girl's brakes failed on a winding descent. She bounced off the ground like it was nothing!
Old 09-06-10, 12:11 PM
zstjohn

Bikes: 2007 Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No crashes on my club rides for the past 2 months. except for someone who ran into my back wheel at 2 mph lol....
Old 09-06-10, 12:18 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I've heard about a few dog-->collarbone crashes this year. Otherwise, the "B" level rides seem pretty safe.
Old 09-06-10, 12:38 PM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
There have been 3 on rides I've been on with the club. The first was maybe a year ago when a rider hit a trash can. The folks up front called it out, those ni the middle did not, by the time he saw it he was on top of it.

There were two last week on the Thursday ride. First was someone who didn't know the route and missed a turn thus causing another to go down. The other one the guy was turning but swung wide and took someone out.

Overall though our rides are fairly safe.
Old 09-06-10, 02:00 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
While I haven't ridden in a club in quite some time, when I did...we were pretty safe. Crashes happened, but not with regularity or for dumb reasons. I guess I was pretty lucky though...in both clubs I rode with. Most of us knew each other pretty well and each other's riding habits. And, quite honestly, if someone started showing up doing something stupid. We simply ignored them until they went away. Sometimes it was one ride, others it took a couple of weeks before they didn't come back.
Old 09-06-10, 03:45 PM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In all the riding I've done with my current club (not counting races), the only time I've been present at the scene of a crash was when it was me eating asphalt.

Luckily I didn't take anyone out as I went down.
Old 09-06-10, 04:51 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just don't do club rides any more, either there is someone on the ride who thinks everyone needs his knowledge or there is someone who likes to run lights and zips though cars and takes a lane when not necessary, you know the type. Then they seem to all turn into a race, and maybe I am on a recovery ride, or want to stop to take a picture or something. I just find it easer to do my own thing and just do events with a group.
Old 09-06-10, 05:01 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I belong to a large local club. It’s not uncommon for 100 cyclists to show up on Saturday morning. Many of the cyclists appear to be typical weekend warriors. Strong but lacking in skilz.

Over the years, I’ve seen, and heard about, a lot of accidents on these club rides. I’ve avoided many myself, simply by paying closer attention to squirrely riders.

I’d guess that there is one crash about every other month. That adds up quickly over the years.

Are there a lot of accidents on your group rides? Maybe this is all business as usual.
I'm surprised you guys don't have any deaths from pulling onto 101 from the coffee stop in Solana Beach.
Old 09-06-10, 05:12 PM
robertkat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
I'm surprised you guys don't have any deaths from pulling onto 101 from the coffee stop in Solana Beach.
They trickle out one at a time and regroup at the light? I've never seen nor heard of any crashes in our club. There is, however, a certain local club that seems to be pretty good at crashing, regardless of the size of the group.

Last edited by robertkat; 09-06-10 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-06-10, 05:15 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robertkat
They trickle out one at a time and regroup at the light? I've never seen nor heard of any crashes in our club. There is, however, a certain local club that seems to be pretty good at crashing, regardless of the size of the group.
who?

Oh, wait. I know.
Old 09-06-10, 05:19 PM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We've had a couple on our tuesday night ride.
Mostly by guys riding up on the left of the wheel in front of them, touching said wheel, and going down.
But I've only seen that twice in the past 4 years.
Other than that it's mostly riders falling over when not being able to unclip fast enough when the ride suddenly slows/ stops. (yes, that'd be me on a couple of occasions)
Old 09-06-10, 05:19 PM
leooooo

Bikes: Gaulzetti Cazzo, Gaulzetti Corsa, Gaulzetti Ti, Gaulzetti SS prototype, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Ridley XFire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redtires
While I haven't ridden in a club in quite some time, when I did...we were pretty safe. Crashes happened, but not with regularity or for dumb reasons. I guess I was pretty lucky though...in both clubs I rode with. Most of us knew each other pretty well and each other's riding habits. And, quite honestly, if someone started showing up doing something stupid. We simply ignored them until they went away. Sometimes it was one ride, others it took a couple of weeks before they didn't come back.
Why not educate them instead?
Old 09-06-10, 05:20 PM
agoodale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not one to name names but does that team's name rhyme with EssDeeBeeSee?
Old 09-06-10, 05:20 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Wrecks are rare here. I ride with three clubs, two during the week, one on the weekends.
I've been with the weekend club for four years. They typically have 40-60 riders and all are extremely disciplined. They've had one wreck due to crossing a rear wheel (no damage or injuries) and one wreck due to a dog coming out of nowhere and charging a double pace line and that's all.
I've only ridden with the THursday club for two years, but no wrecks with a group of about 25 bikes. The Tuesday group only has a dozen bikes, so far no wrecks.
Old 09-06-10, 05:23 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I just don't do club rides any more, either there is someone on the ride who thinks everyone needs his knowledge or there is someone who likes to run lights and zips though cars and takes a lane when not necessary, you know the type. Then they seem to all turn into a race, and maybe I am on a recovery ride, or want to stop to take a picture or something. I just find it easer to do my own thing and just do events with a group.

well group rides aren't really the place to do a recovery ride or stop and take pictures. both of those rides should always be done solo.
Old 09-06-10, 05:24 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leooooo
Why not educate them instead?
many people react badly to "being educated" because sadly many people think they already know everything.
Old 09-06-10, 05:31 PM
robertkat

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by agoodale
I was thinking about the other one that starts with an "s" and is based a bit more north.
Old 09-06-10, 05:35 PM
leooooo

Bikes: Gaulzetti Cazzo, Gaulzetti Corsa, Gaulzetti Ti, Gaulzetti SS prototype, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Ridley XFire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaniel
many people react badly to "being educated" because sadly many people think they already know everything.
Good point.
Sad point.
True point.
Old 09-06-10, 05:54 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Originally Posted by GP
There's really not much margin for error right there.

Old 09-06-10, 05:57 PM
OldLog

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually it is the so called educator that think they know it all. best not to give advice unless asked.
Old 09-06-10, 06:56 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by agoodale
so...i am assuming this is what helped to set this thread off because i discussed it with nacho. i was contemplating this ride since i had my first saturday off in forever. i posted a little invite on facebook to see who wanted to come along and i got a few "be very, very careful" responses. another response was "matter of fact, forget that ride and do the ride 'that starts with an "s" and is based a bit more up north' ".

I was thinking about the other one that starts with an "s" and is based a bit more north.
these are some of the safest and well organized rides...pro's including horner were raised on the rides with this club and in fact he came out last season to join in. there are of course crashes...but when your group ride becomes synonymous with crashes as EssDeeBeeSee has become...i think it is a problem

what is the difference between the two?

a) the "s" group rides safer roads.
b) the "s" group is a lot harder/faster which gives them a more c) elitist reputation and discourages riders who may not be up to par.

so this is how things go...

weekend warrior: "hey i think i'm going to try out the "s" ride"
seasoned vet: "i dont know man, it's known as one of the toughest group rides in the nation, they are fast, you will be dropped. you should go for the EssDeeBeeSee "B" ride, they are nice guys!"

now, in this case being "nice" pretty much means that group does not do too much talking...including yelling, which as we all know is necessary for group rides

the "s" riders have no problem telling you whats up, as they know it is in the best interest of the group.
Old 09-06-10, 07:03 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Originally Posted by enjoi07
so...i am assuming this is what helped to set this thread off because i discussed it with nacho. i was contemplating this ride since i had my first saturday off in forever.
Good call. You are exactly right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.