Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 11:16 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by OldLog
I am 69 years old and just now in the process of buying my first road bike. There are so many options out there. Just wanting to get started after riding an old mountain bike for the past few years. I am still undecided about the type of pedals to buy as I have never had anything but platform type pedals. can see my self now trying to unclip and falling on my butt. Not a pretty picture for an old fart.
70 here....I use these with size 14 shoes.

https://www.outsideoutfitters.com/ps-...ad-pedals.aspx

https://www.outsideoutfitters.com/ps-...toe-clips.aspx

Added a spacer to allow for my big feet.They work great.
https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...lfclips009.jpg

Old 04-08-12, 04:45 AM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rest easy, you fall on your side. Just don't try to catch yourself, just roll with it

Welcome and enjoy
Old 04-08-12, 05:14 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Use whatever pedal you might like and that makes you comfortable.

I use clipless - have for about 13 years now, and love them. I fell a couple of times many years ago, but not since. But, hey, who really cares?

Enjoy and keep us posted.
Old 04-08-12, 07:03 AM
joeprim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get half SPD one side platform on the other. NASHBAR has them. That's what I did, then when I got mor confidence put them on the MT bike and got 2 sided SPD for the road bike.
Old 04-08-12, 04:08 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little lesson in humble doesn't hurt anyone.
Just don't put your arm. Then you can get up and see how many people are looking!
Old 04-09-12, 12:55 PM
Amazingrace

Bikes: Specialized Dolce, Marin mtn bike, Terry Precision, Groceries Clunker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=joeprim;14072610]Get half SPD one side platform on the other. NASHBAR has them. That's what I did, then when I got mor confidence put them on the MT bike and got 2 sided SPD for the road bike.

I endorse the 1 side SPD/1 side flat shoes noted by joeprim. I bought them 5 years ago to learn clipless, then left them on my road bike. I use the SPD side most of the time but the flat side is handy when I want to have comfy shoes on at the end of my ride.
Old 04-09-12, 10:24 PM
OldLog

Bikes: Felt Z85

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey the one side SPD?1Side flat sounds like just the ticket forme. I already know the dangers of putting a hand out after a nasty wrist break and wearing a cast for a while LOL
Old 04-17-12, 11:07 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I still have 8 months. I refuse to post here!
Old 04-18-12, 06:11 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by bobthib
I still have 8 months. I refuse to post here!
And I refuse to read your posts.

Shame!!
Old 04-21-12, 07:09 PM
jbenkert111
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help point me in right direction

Situation: I am 72 and a national class age-group runner (1 mile thru 10 mile). Bottom line is I cannot continue to train at high level due to knee problems. I can bike all day.

My frustation is this: in running, all races have age-group categories usually up to eighty years old. This allows the older runners (like me) to be competitive in there age group. In searching around the bike racing scene it appears that usually after you turn 50+ you are on your own, except for an occasional time trial that might have older age groups.

I am use to training hard and enjoy it, but whether it is a road or MTB race I would like to be competitive. Am I overlooking something in bike racing or is it just geared to the younger folks and us older folks are just out of luck.

Any info you can give me on racing or good clubs to join to learn more about training, would be really appreciated.

I live in Severna Park, MD (between Annapolis and Baltimore).

Thanks in advance,

John Benkert
443-980-9077
Old 04-21-12, 07:18 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by jbenkert111
Situation: I am 72 and a national class age-group runner (1 mile thru 10 mile). Bottom line is I cannot continue to train at high level due to knee problems. I can bike all day.

My frustation is this: in running, all races have age-group categories usually up to eighty years old. This allows the older runners (like me) to be competitive in there age group. In searching around the bike racing scene it appears that usually after you turn 50+ you are on your own, except for an occasional time trial that might have older age groups.

I am use to training hard and enjoy it, but whether it is a road or MTB race I would like to be competitive. Am I overlooking something in bike racing or is it just geared to the younger folks and us older folks are just out of luck.

Any info you can give me on racing or good clubs to join to learn more about training, would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John Benkert
443-980-9077
Hi and welcome.

I would strongly suggest you ask your question in the 50+ racing forum
+
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-racing-Thread

They will be MUCH more knowledgeable than I am.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-22-12 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-22-12, 11:08 AM
Oldsid

Bikes: Trek 7200+

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 81 years old as of February this year. Just took delivery of a new Trek FX+ electric assist bike. Unfortunately, I can't leave the house long enough right now to ride it. My wife had an accident a week ago on her bike and is recovering with 9 broken ribs, a broken clavicle, and a broken scapula. So I need to stay close by til she gets better and can take care of herself.
Old 04-22-12, 11:38 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Many areas have Senior Olympics once a year.
Have entered several throughout the past 20 years; they have 5 year increment age categories for road races and time trials.
After local lwins you can advance to state and even national Sr. Olympics.
Very competitive; have won my share of 'hardware.'
Old 05-03-12, 07:23 PM
Retired

Bikes: 1995 Raleigh, 1986 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be back in 3 months.
Old 05-04-12, 07:59 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Al, when we meet up to ride, I'll show you the secret handshake you'll need to know if you want to get in early.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-05-12, 09:43 PM
OldLog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Road bike search over. Bought a Felt Z85. Still undecided on clipless pedals
Old 05-06-12, 06:34 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Congrats on the Z85. Get out and enjoy it -- after you get some clipless pedals.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-07-12, 10:28 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts

Thanks in advance,

John Benkert
443-980-9077
John: There are not a lot of bike races by age category above Masters 55+ but there are some and you may have to travel to compete. I have a teammate in my racing club who is 71 and races a lot. He races both road and track. He races in the 55+ peloton in road races and crits, does time trials and hill climbs and competes in the state and national races. Race promoters are the ones that set age categories. And in some bike races, they may combine all the 55+ together and score them separately so there may be a 65+ group. My friend travels all over to race where there are 65+ categories. The races that always have age categories are state, national and world championship events. The senior games start at age 50 for men and women.

It is very hard to get started racing 50+ and there is a significant barrier to entry due to the skill and fitness required to race in mass start races. Of course you can do time trials and hill climbs where you are on the road by yourself against the clock. These can be sanctioned or just unsanctioned "training" races. The other potential frustration is that many masters mass start races exclude category 5 racers which is the category you will have to start in. You can upgrade to Category 4 after completing 10 qualifying mass start races. That means you will be racing with the Cat 5 men which are typically 20 to 30 year olds. I did that and had a lot of fun racing with the Cat 5 men before upgrading to Cat 4 in road and track.

My suggestion is to start with time trials and hill climbs and ride your current bike. Do not buy a time trial bike immediately until you see if you like doing them. It is not any easier on the TT bike and in fact it is harder due to the position and you will probably be faster initially on your road bike riding in a low position.

I ran competitively before racing bicycles. Running, one goes hard to the point where any harder and you physically collapse. It is easy to train since all you need are running shoes and going to a local track to do measured intervals is logistically easy. Bikes are different. Since the body weight is supported, you can go deeper into exhaustion and push yourself even harder. Some like that and some do not. And it does not get any easier over time. You just get better at suffering deeper and longer. When you watch the pro racers on TV, they are suffering immensely and way beyond what amateurs are capable of doing. Training on the bike is logistically more difficult to find terrain the is a suitable proxy for the race course. Biking takes a lot more time and requires more hours per week.

However, IMO, it is so much more fun than running and once you get into it, the equipment is a lot of fun to ride and the training and racing totally cool. YMMV
Old 05-12-12, 06:55 PM
jbenkert111
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
John: There are not a lot of bike races by age category above Masters 55+ but there are some and you may have to travel to compete. I have a teammate in my racing club who is 71 and races a lot. He races both road and track. He races in the 55+ peloton in road races and crits, does time trials and hill climbs and competes in the state and national races. Race promoters are the ones that set age categories. And in some bike races, they may combine all the 55+ together and score them separately so there may be a 65+ group. My friend travels all over to race where there are 65+ categories. The races that always have age categories are state, national and world championship events. The senior games start at age 50 for men and women.

It is very hard to get started racing 50+ and there is a significant barrier to entry due to the skill and fitness required to race in mass start races. Of course you can do time trials and hill climbs where you are on the road by yourself against the clock. These can be sanctioned or just unsanctioned "training" races. The other potential frustration is that many masters mass start races exclude category 5 racers which is the category you will have to start in. You can upgrade to Category 4 after completing 10 qualifying mass start races. That means you will be racing with the Cat 5 men which are typically 20 to 30 year olds. I did that and had a lot of fun racing with the Cat 5 men before upgrading to Cat 4 in road and track.

My suggestion is to start with time trials and hill climbs and ride your current bike. Do not buy a time trial bike immediately until you see if you like doing them. It is not any easier on the TT bike and in fact it is harder due to the position and you will probably be faster initially on your road bike riding in a low position.

I ran competitively before racing bicycles. Running, one goes hard to the point where any harder and you physically collapse. It is easy to train since all you need are running shoes and going to a local track to do measured intervals is logistically easy. Bikes are different. Since the body weight is supported, you can go deeper into exhaustion and push yourself even harder. Some like that and some do not. And it does not get any easier over time. You just get better at suffering deeper and longer. When you watch the pro racers on TV, they are suffering immensely and way beyond what amateurs are capable of doing. Training on the bike is logistically more difficult to find terrain the is a suitable proxy for the race course. Biking takes a lot more time and requires more hours per week.

However, IMO, it is so much more fun than running and once you get into it, the equipment is a lot of fun to ride and the training and racing totally cool. YMMV
Hermes, many thanks for the very informative info. I will take your advice and start to get involved in the racing scene. I did not mention this before, but when I was begining to give up running I bought a Fuji Aloha TT (an entry level TT bike, but nice for the money) with a little training I entered the mid-atlantic age group annual championships. I ended up third with a 21/22 MPH average in the 65+ age group. I really did enjoy the time trial and the training I did but there's just not many of these events.

One hang up I do have is in running if you want to beat the guy in your age group who beat you by 3 seconds last week, you just have to train harder or smarter. In biking, it seems that you have those 2 options, PLUS one more, buy a better bike. Where does the ARMS race end. :-)

Thanks again,
John
Old 05-12-12, 07:09 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Hermes, many thanks for the very informative info. I will take your advice and start to get involved in the racing scene. I did not mention this before, but when I was begining to give up running I bought a Fuji Aloha TT (an entry level TT bike, but nice for the money) with a little training I entered the mid-atlantic age group annual championships. I ended up third with a 21/22 MPH average in the 65+ age group. I really did enjoy the time trial and the training I did but there's just not many of these events.

One hang up I do have is in running if you want to beat the guy in your age group who beat you by 3 seconds last week, you just have to train harder or smarter. In biking, it seems that you have those 2 options, PLUS one more, buy a better bike. Where does the ARMS race end. :-)

Thanks again,
John
The arms race ends when you run out of money. Good luck with your cycling and racing.
Old 05-15-12, 09:05 PM
OldLog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shop said I should get bike shoes even If I buy MB shoes as riding in my sneaks could result in foot problems as they are to flexible. True?
Old 05-15-12, 09:39 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bike shop said I should get bike shoes even If I buy MB shoes as riding in my sneaks could result in foot problems as they are to flexible. True?
How much do you ride? What type of riding? Type of bike?

Certainly that is a common claim among many folks - those who sell spcial shoes especially!!

Many folks ride many thousands of miles successfully in sneakers. Typically, those who are "serious" bicyclists will likely have mtn bike or road shoes.

Personally I use "bike shoes- road bike shoes" while riding my road bike and sneakers whille doing casual riding on my mtn bike and my utility road bike.

I think it also depends on your feet and their sensitivity to pressure. A biking shoe is supposed to spread the pressure over a larger area.
Old 05-19-12, 01:17 PM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Average age of the guys I ride with is 70
Average distance ridden per day is @30 (weekends wind up being 50-100)
Average speed on those morning rides...18
Then...there are the 70 year old 'hammers' whom I don't try to keep pace with.
Old 05-19-12, 01:29 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I use these for now lets see 46,000 miles.
https://www.shoebuy.com/rockport-prow...00/42704/42706#

Toe clips no straps needed
https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...lfclips009.jpg

Old 05-19-12, 01:48 PM
3Kcarbon

Bikes: own builds on 3K frames

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny how times change. As a teenager my buddies and I had plain basic stiff-soled bike shoes and we rode strapped into clips (that was in Europe), but in the seventies, when I started riding again at 40+ (in California), I went to the biggest LBS in the SF bay area to buy a pair of bike shoes. They offered me a single pair of overpriced Italian shoes, one size only (5 sizes too large for me), and I had to go home empty handed. Most shops never heard of bike shoes, let alone stock any. Now they act as if you would die without them! How times change - they discovered Latte and bike shoes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.