Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2013 - Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2013 - Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 02:57 AM
ScruffyChimp

Bikes: Fuji Sunfire 1995, modified for touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking about a ride along the Maerchenstrasse. In northern Germany, it runs through the villages where the Brothers Grimm fairy tales are set. In summer, the towns re-enact the stories. I'm not sure if it is a dedicated cycle route, but I believe there is one nearby. That's the current thinking - it's likely to change.

I did the Romantic Road 2 years ago and it was the best ride I've done, so I'm keen to see more of Germany.
Old 01-16-13, 03:54 PM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
May: First shake down over nighter

End of May: 4-5 day tour in Jersey

June.... maybe... another tour
Jersey's great for short tours. Lots of state parks, and of course, Da shore!!!!

Good luck with your shake down tour!
Old 01-16-13, 03:56 PM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cruisin the Delmarva.

Outer Banks tour, or maybe combine the Delmarva tour with a ride to the OB. Looking to do some short rides. Still cogitating.
Old 01-17-13, 09:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
The GF now wants to go to Italy at a time that would make riding to MA for my 30th high school reunion impossible. Can't take 3 weeks off in a row. Can't really argue since her dad's Amex rewards are paying for our flights.

So I am thinking the GAP and then up to Bedford, PA to pick up PA Bike Route S home to Philly.
Old 01-17-13, 07:14 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
After two years of changing and postponing my plans, I hope to finally take a month or more to explore the Fraser Watershed in British Columbia, and if time and energy allow and Congress hasn’t shut down the National Parks I would like to ride some of the rivers on the east and south sides of the Olympic Mountains in Washington State.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 01-18-13, 04:43 PM
Fantasminha

Bikes: Giant FCR, Scott CR1 Team, Fuji Newest 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First trip will be in April from Half Moon Bay (SFO) to Ventura then Ojai. Hopefully I'll get another week or two in August and we will do the northern part of that same route from the CA/OR border to SFO.
Old 01-18-13, 10:44 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have 2 rides in mind this year. Would like to ride across Missouri, west to east, border to border, on the TransAm. I've biked Ragbrai twice (my 2009 trip....https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/5329) and in 2011, across my home state of Arkansas, north to south https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/11769. Another ride I'd like to do this year is from my home in NW Arkansas, ride SSE through the tourist town of Mt View, AR, and through the hills and Buffalo River area.
Old 01-20-13, 12:06 AM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
If I am able to get time off this year, I would want to do the Mount Vernon-C&Ocanal-WMRT trail this summer. If not this year, certainly the next year.
Old 01-21-13, 07:36 AM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
DIY camping tour of the Greater Allegheny Passage (GAP) from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD round trip over 3 days (270ish miles).
Old 01-23-13, 07:34 PM
crazy cheste

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Iguania, Bianchi Mountain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This tour will not be done in 2013 but I have been thinking about when I am older like in my 20's . I want to do a 6 month tour in Europe starting in Ireland in April. Do loop around Ireland then go To Oslo Norway in may. Then start riding my bike north east to Sweden then go to a town called Umea to see family. Finally head south to Denmark, through Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary,Slovenia,Italy,Switzerland,France,Belgium, and Netherlands.
It would be about seven thousand miles. I was wondering if six months would be sufficient time to get all that done. I'm also taking in effect a lot of rest days to sight see.
This is like a dream tour to me.
Old 01-23-13, 07:54 PM
Kuotient

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
2 month supported tour from Seattle, WA to NYC this summer! But I'm one of 3 team leaders, so I'll be driving 1/3 of the days.
Old 01-24-13, 06:29 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have a couple of trips planned with groups in May and June, I plan to do a solo trip from Montreal to Mont Laurier and back in August. I haven't been through the backwoods of Quebec before but there is a rail trail that takes that route. I like the idea that the people talk kinda funny up there and maybe my French will improve.

Marc
Old 01-25-13, 08:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
For a start, we're kind of doing some hub-and-spoke stuff around lower mainland BC where we're visiting right now.

Then, we fly back to Australia on January 16th, and will spend 2 weeks in Western Australia (Perth area) doing some cycletouring.

From there, we fly to the Melbourne area and the plan is that we'll housesit for about 3 weeks, during which time we'll likely do more hub-and-spoke cycling.

And then ******************** It will all depend on what we end up doing and where we end up living.
We are doing some hub-and-spoke touring around the southern part of Western Australia now.
Old 01-25-13, 02:44 PM
jaspurlin

Bikes: 1978 Charles Roberts, 1989 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doing an appox. 800 mile tour this spring. Leaving my hometown here in western Kaintuck, gonna head down through Tennessee an' pick up the Natchez trace and rider her all that way down. After that I'll zigzag my way over to New Orleans. I'm taking off March 1st, and have a train ticket bought for the 25th that will put me a one day ride from home. I figure any time between when I get to NOLA and when my train departs will be agreeably spent.
Old 01-25-13, 03:26 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Right now my long trip plans for 2013 are all backpacking related (John Muir Trail and the Allegheny Trail). That isn't to say I won't wind up doing a tour or two.
Old 01-28-13, 04:54 AM
LynxTheWizard

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
At the end of April, me and my wife are going to start a 5-month tour around Europe. We will have a web, blog and will do some videos as well along the way, so if anyone's interested about the route, equipment, etc, I'll post a link to the website and y-be channel when the time comes. stay tuned!
Old 01-28-13, 12:00 PM
CarolynBikesUSA

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juggleaddict
After 5 years of putting it off, I'm off on the TransAm this summer. : )
Hey, maybe we'll cross paths! I'll be riding Ohio-to-California via the TransAm & Western Express, starting either May or June, as a completion of a cross-country tour I started in September 2012. I made it from Maine to Ohio (1300 miles) in four weeks, then overwintered here in Ohio (home), because I feared crossing the Rockies in November. I'll be riding solo, but hope to make friends & join up with folks as I go!
Old 02-01-13, 07:21 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dpicare26
DIY camping tour of the Greater Allegheny Passage (GAP) from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD round trip over 3 days (270ish miles).
Three of us are doing Washington to Pittsburgh in July. The logistics of getting to DC via Amtrak are driving me nuts. It looks like and all night drive from Cape Cod to catch the 4:50 AM train. We are looking into an alternative. Has anyone done something different to transport people and bikes from Pitt to DC?
Old 02-01-13, 08:11 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
Three of us are doing Washington to Pittsburgh in July. The logistics of getting to DC via Amtrak are driving me nuts. It looks like and all night drive from Cape Cod to catch the 4:50 AM train. We are looking into an alternative. Has anyone done something different to transport people and bikes from Pitt to DC?
A year or 2 ago there was a thread here about a BF group tour on the GAP. I remember there being conversation regarding ground transportation options. You might want to search for that thread.
Old 02-01-13, 11:36 PM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the summer of '11, a friend and I rode from Florence, OR to San Francisco. This summer I hope to finish the ride down the coast, ending in the LA area, possibly riding solo!
Old 02-02-13, 08:25 PM
Bentrim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a new grandaugther due early March and figure grandma will be unseperable for the next month so I'm going to to the KATY Trail across MO both ways on or about 15 March. I hammock camp so I'm open for some additional rides so I'm still looking around. Ain't looking to impress anyone, as I ride slow and easy and stop on a aim cause every day is Saturday.
Old 03-12-13, 05:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
For a start, we're kind of doing some hub-and-spoke stuff around lower mainland BC where we're visiting right now.

Then, we fly back to Australia on January 16th, and will spend 2 weeks in Western Australia (Perth area) doing some cycletouring.

From there, we fly to the Melbourne area and the plan is that we'll housesit for about 3 weeks, during which time we'll likely do more hub-and-spoke cycling.

And then ******************** It will all depend on what we end up doing and where we end up living.
Well, so far, we've done all that, including two little hub-and-spoke style tours in Victoria. And we still haven't settled anywhere yet.

How are your plans going? In reading through this thread, I see that several of you have early-year trips ... March/April timeframe.

Last edited by Machka; 03-12-13 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-15-13, 02:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Summer ... in the northern hemishere ... is coming! Got plans?
Old 04-15-13, 07:20 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'll be riding the Waterfront Trail from Windsor to Toronto next month.
Old 04-15-13, 08:52 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short tour in the early Fall. Going from the Newberry National Volcanic Monument (South of Bend Oregon), along the Crooked River, ending at The Cove Palisades State Park (North of Prineville). Next year it's Europe (France to Denmark).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.