Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 09:18 AM
Rickymac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been looking at the Roll for both my wife and I. Neither of us have been on a bike since the mid eighties. Were both in our mid sixties and primarily looking for something that isn't going to keep us up all night regretting our decision. I took a spin on the crossroad and roll. Tough decision. If I rode by myself I would pick the crossroad elite. But I do have to admit, the next day I was somewhat sore due the seat. I have to wonder If I put a wider comfortable seat on would I like it the same. The issue I have with the Roll is my neighbor, who is an avid bike person. He tells me I'll regret getting a bike without front shocks. I told him on the roll it appears that you mostly sit in the upright position, have a shock under the seat, fatter tires to absorb and harsh bumps. He tells me the bike shop probably keeps the tire pressure low for a smoother ride, which isn't good for the life of the tire. So, since I haven't rode many bikes in my quest, nor intend on traveling all over for the perfect bike. My wife back isn't the greatest, and my biggest fear is that if she really starts hurting after each time we ride, I'll be on my own. So, for anyone that has the roll, would you give it a thumbs up for comfort? Or should I be looking at different bikes?
Old 06-08-16, 12:32 PM
Korax

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roll Sport Step Thru, 2020 Trek Verve+ 2 Low Step

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
In my opinion, shocks are really not necessary and can be nothing but a weight burden for everyday riding like the kind you'll probably be doing and the competing upright "comfort bikes" in the Roll's class have relatively mediocre shocks anyway. (the bike mechanic at the bike shop I frequent described shocks on these types of bikes as mostly a "marketing gimmick", but that's his opinion of course)

The ride of the Roll, even with the tires inflated close to the max, is plenty cushy. You can always go back to the bike shop and have them set the pressure to around 30psi and then do another test ride. (the minimum psi for the tire is 23 - max is around 50).

The crossroads elite will be a little quicker, might be a better choice if you're mostly riding on good paved roads and you might get used to the saddle or you can get another one, but the riding position is a little less upright and the ride will not be as comfort oriented. No matter what, though, if you haven't ridden in a long time, you have to expect a little soreness on your butt when you first start riding again!

Last edited by Korax; 06-08-16 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-08-16, 03:56 PM
Rickymac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for opinion Korax. I sort of felt the same as what you said. Sometimes you just need someone to reaffirm what your thinking. I did go to another bike shop today. Looked at a Salsa Marrakesh 2017. Beautiful bike. They wanted sixteen which sent me back down to earth.
My wife and I will go test ride the Roll this week. Maybe I'll have some pictures to post on this thread. Again, thanks for your input.
Old 06-22-16, 05:09 PM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Just some quick pics of my Roll Sport Low Entry. Just added the fenders and Ergon grips.Rack is next.

Last edited by Korax; 06-22-16 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-23-16, 05:50 PM
Salty Pete

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks great!
The teal reminds me of the old GT freestyle bikes in that color. Fenders look awesome too. Are those the Specialized fenders? Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Salty Pete; 06-23-16 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-23-16, 06:03 PM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Posted another photo here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...ybrid-258.html
Old 06-25-16, 02:54 AM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Salty Pete
Looks great!
The teal reminds me of the old GT freestyle bikes in that color. Fenders look awesome too. Are those the Specialized fenders? Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. yep those are Specialized fenders made specifically for the Roll. I wish the back fender went a little bit longer at the rear for a bit more protection.
Old 06-25-16, 02:45 PM
durd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to the forum and just getting into biking to try to lose weight. I just picked up a Roll Sport Low Entry in the Dark Green color and I love it. I'm 6' 2" and weigh 285 pounds and the bike is perfect for me such a smooth and easy ride. The local bike shops are having a hard time keeping them in stock around here. Such a great bike.
Old 06-26-16, 11:55 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would love to see pics of the green. I almost went with that color but wanted the aluminum fork.
Old 06-27-16, 12:07 AM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Really like that. To me kinda a new twist on an old theme

Not a colour I'd ride but looks good
Old 06-27-16, 08:31 PM
durd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's some pics of the green. I really like the color. Great bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image1 (2).jpg (56.9 KB, 756 views)
image2 (1).jpg (58.6 KB, 748 views)
image3 (1).jpg (56.8 KB, 742 views)
Old 06-29-16, 12:35 PM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Got the rack (Axiom Journey). Color is a little off in the last pic.

Last edited by Korax; 07-02-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-13-16, 04:59 PM
HLW

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Specialized Roll Low Entry

Another great thing about the Roll is the versatility of the frame. Even though the bike comes with 650x2.3 tires, they measure out to a 28" diameter, which is roughly the same size as a 700c hybrid tire. I'm running mine with 28x2.0 schwalbe marathon supremes and they still fit the Roll specific fender set, although with very tight clearances in the rear. Hopefully, specialized will release the awol fenders for aftermarket purchase. I bought my Roll for the frame in order to build it up for road riding/commuting and have been very satisfied so far. The step through frame has been great for mounting the bike when carrying a full load in the rear. Nice to see some Low Entry Rolls out in the world. I tried posting over in the mtbr forum but I don't think they had too much love for the step through model lol. Would be interested to see if anyone's used a specialized pizza front rack on one yet.

Here's a pic of my build with a 700c wheelset:
Old 07-13-16, 08:29 PM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
HLW, Love what you've done there. I saw on the mbtr forum that you considered the Riv Clem. I thought I was the only one in the world considering that mod and getting a Roll instead. Of course it saved me about $900 buying the Roll instead. In my opinion its not nearly as pretty, but hey it's a great ride and very versitile. I will be building mine up with better pedals, maybe a Brooks B67, possibly some north road bars, and may order the pizza rack in a few weeks. Your build has a very cool German city bike look about it. What handlebars are you using?

Last edited by Korax; 07-13-16 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 09:17 PM
HLW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am using Origin8 Space Carbon UL8 handlebars (25 degree back sweep). I actually ran a pair of Soma Oxfords (North Road clone) on my previous bike. I really like the North Road hand position, but on the Roll they had me sitting dutch bike upright and I wanted something with a little more aggressive riding position. I also ran the FSA metropolis bars for a few weeks and at 45 degrees back sweep, even they were a bit too much. I just didn't want to lose the quick, fun handling that made me like the bike so much in the first place. Even the stock bars weren't bad, they just had so much rise that when I tried to ride out of saddle it felt like I was on a stair stepper machine and couldn't get any leverage.

I would definitely recommend you try a Brooks. I've had my B17 for 5 years now and have no complaints, outside of having to protect it from rain when parked outside. I can't comment on whether the springs on the B67 help much or not, but after breaking in the B17 I couldn't imagine needing much more unless you're riding rough roads for a sustained amount of time.

As I said, I came really really close to buying the Clementine frameset. Never in a million years would I have guessed Specialized offered a model like the Roll Low Entry. It was pure accident that I saw it in the shop. I can't lie though, I basically styled my build after the pics of the black Clementine on Riv's website . I guess you could say the large Wald basket with the red cargo net I bought from Riv is an ode. I wouldn't be surprised if a designer at Specialized didn't "borrow" heavily from the Clem when designing the current iteration of the Roll line either lol.
Old 07-16-16, 01:38 PM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks HLW.. I run the b17 on my roadbike and the b67 on my sirrus which...I .have soma oxford bars on! I prefer the 67 for bikes with a more upright position. Only drawback on the brooks is ya gotta keep it dry! My current roll setup with the ergon gp5 grips/barends give me lots of uphill leverage.

The sirrus:

Last edited by Korax; 07-16-16 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-17-16, 08:51 PM
rgiorgio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, i went to my local store this past Tuesday looking to see a Roll Comp. There were not any there so we took a look at Specialized inventory. 2017's are now available. I will be taking delivery of the first Roll Comp X! as its now called. Lots of changes over the 2016 model. My local store says the Roll model really took Specialzed by surprise and it is becoming very popular very fast.
Take a look, one of the few links showing the new X1:
Specialized Roll Comp X1 - KLM Bike & Fitness - Birmingham - Rochester Hills
Old 07-18-16, 06:53 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool.
There are a few new models in the Roll line. The only one not offering a "low entry" option is the City but it only comes in a small size. Some new colors are offered for the 2017 models.
City $1000 (new)
Comp X1 $850 (new)
Comp $800
Elite $650
Sport EQ $650 (new)
Sport $550
Roll $490

Last edited by Salty Pete; 07-18-16 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-22-16, 04:10 PM
HLW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Man I really like the charcoal/black reflective paint job on the 2017 City model. It would look al lot cooler on a step through though . Lots of good rack and fender options starting to pop up too. I see they put a pizza rack on the City model. I hope this doesn't mean that they'll be backordered even longer, I was quoted Sep when I first tried to order one 3 months ago!
Old 07-23-16, 10:59 AM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 month ordering time!?!?
Whoa. Glad to have picked up mine when I did.
Old 08-03-16, 05:28 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to the bike shop where I bought mine today and they had seven various Roll models. I checked out the medium size and after raising the seat a bit I think it is a better size for me. I'm 6' 180. Just sharing in case someone is looking to get one and is about my size. Make sure you check out the medium as well as the large. When I ordered they only had the small in stock which was too small.
Old 09-08-16, 04:29 PM
Browneye
Specialized Rider

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First post...new Roll owner here. Actually, it's for the wife but I think they're just way cool. Almost bought one for myself, the Sport model in brown. Decided to get a CrossRoads Elite instead.

Anyway, she loves it. We're in our 50's and don't ride a lot but enjoy when we do. We both complain of numb hands and sore necks with our conventional hybrid Trek FX's so we went looking for more comfort. We were going to get just the base model as it works fine, but another store had the next one up, with disc brakes and front gears, better derailure, for the same money so that was a no-brainer. Size L step-over in turquoise. Whoot!

Joined the forum to post about these neat new bikes!

Originally Posted by Salty Pete
Can't wait to see the fenders. I wasn't sure about getting them. I put a rack on mine last night. Today on a ride the rear shifter was giving me trouble though. I'll take it in where I got it and see what they say.
I saw the fender kit on Specialized site - are they backordered?

Wife complained about sand and small rocks kicked up before I put her basket and rear rack on - not so much now. Perhaps a fender kit for hers too. We'll see.
Old 07-11-17, 11:24 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Caught a nail in the tire the other afternoon. Anyone have suggestions for a good tube replacement? Think the tire will be ok.

edit:
Picked up a tube from a local bike shop. The bead on one side was unable to budge but the other side finally gave way. The bike store had a base Roll in that anodized looking green. That color looks amazing in person. Would have liked to see the Roll City in person since that color is pretty nice too.

Last edited by Salty Pete; 07-12-17 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 01:22 AM
suncruiser

Bikes: 2015 Trek District 8, 2017 Salsa Vaya Claris, 2012 SE Draft

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Honestly, having ridden my roll sport to and from work in 2 different states, I'd have to say it's now one of my favorite bikes, and my absolute go - to for commuting, hands down. I run my tires at 27/30 and it still feels very responsive and quick, the tires soak up so much of the rough, uneven roads and concrete (I jump to sidewalks in one section because the bike lane disappears and drivers in Phoenix aren't necessarily kind to cyclists)

I would recommend this bike to anyone!
Old 08-26-17, 02:26 PM
Proparoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size?

I am seriously considering the Roll and after riding I am right in between sizes ( Med and Lg )
So I can find a 2017 elite in Med size and Grey color which I really like or a 2018 Sport in Black Large.
So do I not worry about the size as I likes them both.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.