Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for Electric Bike With IGH

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 12:20 PM
Sy2088

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I have been searching for an electric bike with an internal gear hub and have not been able to find any. Does anyone know of any? Do they exist?

Thank You
Old 10-17-16, 01:43 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Faraday has two models with an IGH and motor: Faraday Porteur diamond frame electric city bike

Faraday Cortland step through electric city bike

But personally, I would just add a front-hub motor to an IGH bike that you like. That's going to be significantly cheaper.
Old 10-17-16, 01:57 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by mel2012
Faraday has two models with an IGH and motor: Faraday Porteur diamond frame electric city bike

Faraday Cortland step through electric city bike

But personally, I would just add a front-hub motor to an IGH bike that you like. That's going to be significantly cheaper.
I agree. Find a nice IGH bike, and either add a mid drive, or go front wheel drive if you prefer. I'd vote for a mid drive myself,... Better torque, cleaner looking, and less expensive. Custom is the way to go.
Old 10-17-16, 02:08 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
FWIW, rode a Faraday Sport for a couple of weeks and was very impressed with the quality. The motor was responsive and the torque sensor detects when you first start to move or on a hill that adds an extra shot of "juice". However, as tds states, you can save money with a kit conversion.
Old 10-17-16, 05:35 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I rode 2 or three of them at the e-bike expo but now I have to remember what brands they were!

They are out there.
Old 10-17-16, 09:55 PM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy2088
Hi,

I have been searching for an electric bike with an internal gear hub and have not been able to find any. Does anyone know of any? Do they exist?

Thank You
Some of the nicest E-bikes out there are the Kalkhoff E-bikes.

Kalkhoff Integrale | Kalkhoff Bikes

They have IGH and belt drive models. They are very high quality and their prices reflect it.

If you aren't planning to ride anything more than cement and gravel road, then Raleigh makes the very nice Misceo iE that has the Shimano STePS electric mid-drive which includes an electric shifting IGH and it shifts back to the gear you program when you stop automatically. Great for communting and city riding. The price is very good for what you get.

I'm building my own custom eMTB with IGH and belt drive. It's a Soma B-Side V.2 frame with a Strumey-Archer 3spd IGH that will likely get a BBS02 or TSDZ2 torque sensing mid-drive. This will be my second eMTB and incorporates what I liked and disliked about my first E-bike. Here's my build thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-b...ion-bluid.html

Last edited by NoPhart; 10-17-16 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-18-16, 10:33 AM
Sy2088

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions.It seems like a custom build would be the way to go, however, I would rather buy a ready built bike. I don't think I would be able to make it look neat and clean. Since the IGh options are pricey, I am now considering a single speed eBike. Do you have any suggestions? So far I was able to find the Sondors Thin and Propella which is not yet available.
Old 10-18-16, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If they come with a Derailleur - disc brake rear wheel , its probably 135 wide , as are several IGH,

to replace the drivetrain locally, in the Shop. It will be ready to ride when they are finished

My Local retrofits Bikes with lectric cycles https://www.lectriccycles.com/ Mid drive Kits ..

Primary customers use Mountain Bikes to Go Hunting, Here..

If you cannot afford what electric Bikes cost , stick with pedaling with your legs, like has been fine for a century Before.

and save up the money until you have enough.

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-18-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-18-16, 10:53 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Some have reported good utility with 3-speed Shimano Nexus IGH systems which can be found on inexpensive bikes; front hub motors are very easy to convert successfully and neatly. Probably, after your initial success, you'll want to do a C-58 addition and create a 30 pound "monster".
Old 10-18-16, 04:02 PM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
City eBikes - Ebike - Bikes
Old 10-18-16, 07:18 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Seeing as you don't want to build one yourself, and figure it out to how to make it work and how to keep it working... You need to pay other people to do it for you, so... It's going to be expensive, and seeing as it's going to be expensive you must make to right choices... Overbuying/Paying is how it works, don't settle for less than you think you "need" A (single speed), or you will still over-pay and never be in-satisfied... Take the plunge and get/buy an 8 speed (I would go for the 14 speed, but that is just me) bike with an IGH and be happy. Oh, and buy the biggest battery that system has. JMO after owning an E-Assist bike for the last 4 years and putting on about 10,000KM on it.

Last edited by 350htrr; 10-19-16 at 04:30 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 10-19-16, 08:08 AM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you think something like a Raleigh Misceo iE at $2,700ish with a Shimano 8spd IGH and Di2 shifting is expensive, then we need to know what your budget is and how you plan to use the E-bike. What seems to happen frequently in the E-bike world is the idea sounds great, but the prices freak people out. Then they end up buying something based on a cheap price, only to find out the hard way that it isn't what they expected or needed to do the job. There are $1,000 E-bikes out there that work okay, but most need a ton of upgrades to get what you actually wanted out of them.

Best suggestion I can give is to go ride as many E-bikes as you can, so you know beforehand what you want. Second, take the volt of the motor times the amp hour of the battery and divide it by 20. That is a good realistic range the E-bike will do. Don't be surprised if the number is substantially less than the stated range.

You can easily test this by renting said E-bike and riding it just like you would if it was yours. I highly recommend doing this with the actual E-bike you decide to buy if possible.

All this sounds like a lot of work and often can't be done close to where you live, but it will pay off in your end decision (or decision not to get an E-bike if that is your conclusion).

The nice thing about adding a kit to an existing bike that you like is you can always take the kit off and still have a bike that you like.
Old 10-19-16, 04:02 PM
Sy2088

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike will not be used as a commuter, just for fun. I don't need something crazy powerful. I want something that will just add some boost and make going up hills a little easier. I wasn't expecting to pay 3k for a bike. Not saying it is not worth it because they're very nice bikes. I just want to start out with something cheaper then go from there. So I think I'm going to forget the IGH idea and go with the single speed Propella 1.5.

Has anyone heard of Propella? Any experience with these bikes?

Here's a link to their site if you want to check it out:

Propella eBike 1.5 - Propella Electric Bikes

Please do let me know if this is a bad move.
Old 10-21-16, 11:54 PM
DoubleDiamonDog

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 250w hub on a big wheel is not going to be a great climber but would be fun on flats and gentle grades.
Old 10-22-16, 07:56 PM
NoPhart

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rode my MTB at the first ever Huntington Beach Airshow (in Southern California) today and saw a ton of E-bikes everywhere. Mostly hub motor E-bikes. Lots of Sondors, both fat and thin. The thin Sondors might work for a cummuter if it fits you well. I know many have added batteries and upgrades to make even nicer.

Today was the first time I've ever seen that many E-bikes in one general location. No joke, they were EVERYWHERE!
Old 10-24-16, 08:56 AM
Ray_R

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In addition to the Kalkhoff and Raleigh bikes mentioned above, I'll add the Wallerang. My wife loves hers. Very well designed, quality built, and top notch ride. I'd ride one myself, if they made a larger frame model. I'm too big for hers.