Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Music while riding

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Music while riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 06:37 AM
hurtmypony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I've been using the Buckshot speaker for awhile, but have found that it's super flaky with regards to phone connection. Seems like even the slightest solid object in between line-of-sight between the phone and the speaker cause it to drop connection. That means that I cannot have the speaker on my handlebar and phone in a jersey pocket, which is where I always carry my phone on my commute. On my upright utility bike or gravel bike, I'm more often wearing pants/shorts with front/side pockets, and I can carry my phone there and it will work fine with the speaker on the bars. But in a back jersey pocket, it just doesn't work at all.

It sucks because that's what I was hoping to avoid when I purchased the Buckshot speaker. I have to stick the speaker in the top mesh part of my trunk bag in order for it to work, and even then I guess the curvature of my hindquarters blocks the signal, and the sound seems to be coming from my butt.
I haven't experienced any flaky connections with mine, and that's with the speaker near the headset and the phone in my front pocket, coat pocket, Carradice saddle bag (buried in there, too) or top tube bag. Maybe I got lucky or you got unlucky with the quality of the thing. The only time I've ever had it drop connection is a couple of rare times when the terrain changed unexpectedly for the worse and the speaker got jarred/jolted a bit.
Old 01-16-17, 10:15 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hurtmypony
I haven't experienced any flaky connections with mine, and that's with the speaker near the headset and the phone in my front pocket, coat pocket, Carradice saddle bag (buried in there, too) or top tube bag. Maybe I got lucky or you got unlucky with the quality of the thing. The only time I've ever had it drop connection is a couple of rare times when the terrain changed unexpectedly for the worse and the speaker got jarred/jolted a bit.
Well you keep it within line of sight of the speaker aside from thin material. If the speaker is in front of my body and the phone behind (jersey pocket), it won't work hardly at all.
Old 01-16-17, 11:04 AM
hurtmypony

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Well you keep it within line of sight of the speaker aside from thin material. If the speaker is in front of my body and the phone behind (jersey pocket), it won't work hardly at all.
Well, not to be contentious, and I'll admit I have rarely tested it this way, but when it rains, I bury my phone in the Carradice bag under all the Fredly junk I carry in it to further protect it from potential leaks/exposure.

In that case, the signal pairing must past through all of that and my seat stem/legs, through the top tube bag and to the stem, and it did so with no issue the 6 or 7 times I traveled that way (generally no more than an hour per outing).

I'll try mine in the rear compartment of my jacket [duck pouch, is it called?] which is similarly positioned to a jersey pocket once I get my bike back from the mechanic, if only to confirm mine will suffer the same issue you are having.
Old 02-12-17, 11:00 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have read that bluetooth doesn't work well when the body is between the transmitter and the receiver.

This is from the Wahoo Fitness site,

"The biggest problem with connection issues is that the human body is primarily water and water is a perfect insulator to 2.4GHz radio traffic. If your phone is flat against your back in a center jersey pocket it is very difficult for the signals to make it to the RFLKT+. If you place your phone in a side pocket with some space between your phone and skin the signals can find there way to the RFLKT+ much more reliably. Unless the phone is in direct line of sight with the RFLKT+, the signals will have to bounce off surrounding objects like the ground or nearby trees. As a last resort, placing your phone under the saddle in a saddle bag will provide a line of sight to the RFLKT+ and subsequently a much much better connection."

My solution is to have the mount the phone on the handlebars or have one of those bags that fits on top of the top tube, and my phone is handy.
Old 02-12-17, 11:11 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I use a Outdoor buckshot and I find that on windy days that I cannot hear it all. I also use a Polk boombit that mount to my jersey collar but the battery only lasts about an hour.
Old 02-12-17, 11:51 AM
Vortac180

Bikes: Yamaha Moto-bike BMX, Panasonic DX2000 single speed, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think I'm as safe with my earbuds as without. Maybe safer: when commuting I startle easily, and the idiotic teens (and others), find it funny to try to startle a bicyclist--partly because bicycle commuting is somewhat of an unusual sight around here. They honk behind me or drive up and yell. Without sound deadening earbuds, I startle and jump. This has nearly caused me to crash several times. With my old Sony Walkman and new ear buds that seal into the ear canals giving passive noise cancelling, I still hear cars, horns and yelling, but it's not loud enough to make me jump. I can can ignore them, yet I know they are there. The only down side I've experienced is on those rare occasions when another bicyclist is overtaking me (there are not that many bicyclists around here) unless they call out, I won't hear them.
Old 03-12-17, 08:38 PM
Mister214

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Between cars, pedestrians and kids looking to rob people on bikes...
No.