Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 11:11 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

- Hubs
I sometimes ponder on whether the design of hubs (and bottom brackets) bearings are optimum from the viewpoint of friction. Nice MEng or PhD research project.
Old 11-08-17, 07:53 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Get this, every Olympics we see a big team make a tweak of something on that list above.

Imagine if a company or two focused time, money, and resources towards doing those things for more than just one team? Sounds crazy but 3T did it with the Scatto bars. CASCO with the WARP helmet. SRM did it with power meter cranks....and all of those are staples of the sport right now.
You could throw Look and BT in there as well. Despite their developments surrounding their respective national teams, their products are still offered to the public at a premium, although actually realistic and obtainable price. It would be excellent to see the UCI grow some balls and push hard on UKSI and FES to do the same.
Old 11-08-17, 08:26 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I'd be curious to know what the quoted lead time is on UKSI equipment. Not a fluff "well, these things can take a few months or more depending on National Team demands" type of answer. I think that competition equipment should have a stipulation on maximum lead time, just the same way they have a maximum prototype window for products.

Last edited by taras0000; 11-14-17 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 06:21 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Asked my friend about the seats and seat posts over post race refreshments last night.

They were someone's honours project a little before the Olympics, all the saddles are exactly the same for each rider which was justified as they're only on them for 4 minutes or less. So far only one has failed in any way, not sure under who. Printed shell onto billet post/topper block item. Effectively a metal pivotal with some fore aft adjustment but very solidly attached. Small gripper on the front of the saddle is pretty much where the rider sits.

Seatpost is for aero properties, to try and help smooth the turbulent air from the opposite leg at extension, the vanes are slightly angled and apparently not symmetic. Some rider may not use them due to how their knees track during the stroke, knees in changes the desired flow patterns.

All very interesting and I'd like to give one a look over if the opportunity presented itself
Old 11-14-17, 11:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by pierrej
Asked my friend about the seats and seat posts over post race refreshments last night.

They were someone's honours project a little before the Olympics, all the saddles are exactly the same for each rider which was justified as they're only on them for 4 minutes or less. So far only one has failed in any way, not sure under who. Printed shell onto billet post/topper block item. Effectively a metal pivotal with some fore aft adjustment but very solidly attached. Small gripper on the front of the saddle is pretty much where the rider sits.

Seatpost is for aero properties, to try and help smooth the turbulent air from the opposite leg at extension, the vanes are slightly angled and apparently not symmetic. Some rider may not use them due to how their knees track during the stroke, knees in changes the desired flow patterns.

All very interesting and I'd like to give one a look over if the opportunity presented itself
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-14-17, 11:11 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
You might be only on them for 4 mins or less *in races*, but you still gotta train on something day-in, day out, plus warm-up, etc. I can't imagine that's fun.
Plenty still use normal posts, rails and saddles for training and lesser competitions, see glaetzer on a prologo as usual. I think the fancy ones only get rolled out for serious tournaments where they want to take care of the negligible risk of a saddle moving.

A few of the pursuit guys come out to our local races so I'll see if I can get an opinion on what they're like first hand
Old 11-17-17, 07:46 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I need a better front wheel track skewer than the Zipp one that seems to stiffen up and become impossible to tighten/loosen after a few uses.

Suggestions?
Old 11-17-17, 08:06 AM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by southernfox
I need a better front wheel track skewer than the Zipp one that seems to stiffen up and become impossible to tighten/loosen after a few uses.

Suggestions?
FFWD do one that seems to be pretty widely available
Old 11-17-17, 08:08 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
anything with steel bits oughta do fine. strange about your zipp.

this would work.
Old 11-17-17, 08:14 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
tytyty
Old 11-17-17, 09:58 AM
carleton
Elitist

Suggestions?
The problem is with the nut. Zipp simply taps an aluminum block to make threads. It can easily be stripped out. I think they chose aluminum to be lighter. A teammate of mine stripped hers out at collegiate nationals 10 mins before her race. Easy to do.

Maybe go to a LBS or Performance Bike and get a budget skewer. You can probably get it for free from a LBS by asking . Those have steel inserts for the threaded area. You may even have one at home. You know the kind of skewer that comes with a home trainer? You just need the nut off of it.

Old 11-17-17, 05:48 PM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, when I got it off it seems stripped halfway down the threads. Dammit Zipp!
Old 11-18-17, 09:45 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have the opportunity to work with a cycling kit company (who sponsors me), who is willing to develop a high end speedsuit, pretty much based on my needs for track.

What are your favourite speedsuits? What are your must-have features for going fast AF?

(I have thoughts of my own, but I'd like y'all's too)
Old 11-18-17, 09:58 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
this could probs be a whole thread on its own.

my answer is, first, it depends. if "for track needs" you mean "i'm gonna pull this on and off a few times a week all season long and want it to last for two seasons," then that's a very different track need than, for example, "an extremely aero but possibly fragile skinsuit that i'm saving for my target events and will probably be destroyed by repeated number-pinning."

but in general i'm interested in:
long sleeves
compressive fabric down below to keep everything in place
softer, breathable fabric above for comfort, especially through a hot summer season
long leg grippers
no dang collar
designed/cut for arms to reach forward (instead of designed/cut for arms to hang down at the sides)
no dang wrinkles
good quality chamois

advanced: clear number pocket?

Last edited by queerpunk; 11-18-17 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-18-17, 10:22 AM
southernfox

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Happy to make a new thread. Maybe I'll do that?
Old 11-18-17, 08:15 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Happy to make a new thread. Maybe I'll do that?
Sure!!
Old 12-08-17, 04:12 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I haven't heard anything about Serenity bikes in a while. Are they out of business? Just curious.
Old 12-08-17, 09:17 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I haven't heard anything about Serenity bikes in a while. Are they out of business? Just curious.
That is what I have heard.
Old 12-08-17, 11:00 AM
carleton
Elitist

Their FB hasn't been updated since 2015. The website is simply 1 image. It's safe to say that they are not in business right now.

I never saw any bikes after their initial first generation.
Old 12-15-17, 02:38 PM
jfiveeight

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People local to Hellyer: I will be in town next week and would like to get on the track. The site looks like it has sort of dated info but does have an up to date calendar. If I wanted to ride in the evening some day do I still reach out to the scheduling email or just show up and ride? (since there is nothing on the calendar). Some velodromes are open park use when no schedule is in place, others are locked up.
Old 12-15-17, 04:32 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Hellyer will be locked up if nothing with a supervisor is scheduled. You should email the people.
Old 12-16-17, 04:22 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jfiveeight
People local to Hellyer: I will be in town next week and would like to get on the track. The site looks like it has sort of dated info but does have an up to date calendar. If I wanted to ride in the evening some day do I still reach out to the scheduling email or just show up and ride? (since there is nothing on the calendar). Some velodromes are open park use when no schedule is in place, others are locked up.
Winter is a slow time at Hellyer! There is "usually" no evening riding during the week in the winter. In fact, most of the sessions we have during weekdays are off the calendar right now. Those are all morning sessions when they do happen. Sometimes, if a supervisor is available, there will be a Tuesday session, but this time of year that gets announced the night before via email. Weekends are your best bet. There are Beginner Sessions at 0830 followed by an Intermediate Session at 10:30 on Saturdays. There is an "Advanced Session" on Sundays, usually at 1000. Those sessions are '"reliably" on the calendar.
Old 12-18-17, 11:10 PM
samuel86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track floor pumps!
What does everyone recommend for a track floor pump. My current pump head is struggle to hold 180+psi for my race tubulars. Willing to spend the right money on a decent and reliable pump.

I have been looking at the Silca range of pumps; Pista and Super Pista pumps
Old 12-18-17, 11:22 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by samuel86
Track floor pumps!
What does everyone recommend for a track floor pump. My current pump head is struggle to hold 180+psi for my race tubulars. Willing to spend the right money on a decent and reliable pump.

I have been looking at the Silca range of pumps; Pista and Super Pista pumps
I once watched a guy using a Topeak Joeblow Ace pump his disc up to 220PSI with one hand pumping while the other held the pump head on. I went out and purchased one right away. 3 Seasons on and still cranking out the pressure. Turns out the first high volume stage is also excellent for pumping up my MTB tyres too
Old 12-19-17, 01:08 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So he is Keirin racer in Korea so he speaks in Korean, but my question is do you think this is save way of glueing tubular tire?
He only put one heavy coat of glue and wait 24 hours.
He uses this method to glue his race wheel and other.
What do you think about this?

His step.
1) remove old tire
2) stretch tire
3) put tire
4) put really heavy coat of glue without removing the tire
5) pump the tire
6) clean excess glue with finger
7) look for gaps and add glue
8) wait a day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.