Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on buying a folding bike in the Netherlands

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Suggestions on buying a folding bike in the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 09:33 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
Properly tune suspension block, bar-ends, and a DIY aero drop handlebar position made my B just as comfortable as my 700x32 CX/gravel bike (although ~ 0.5mph/3% slower). I can tune comfort between the two just by air pressure, and am now indifferent to riding either on just pure exercise loops (no folding). Long list of Brompton advantages, but it's ability to baby-stroll my touring gear while folded is enough of a tipping point for me. Don't understand the Brompton theft comment above - this is the only bike that virtually eliminates my theft worries since I can take inside almost anywhere with minimal hassle (i.e., slow, sloppy, bulky folds and difficult to carry/roll).
Curious if you have a photo of your DIY aero drop bar setup?
Old 02-04-18, 12:03 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale
Curious if you have a photo of your DIY aero drop bar setup?
Just added a grip position in the bottom of the 'U' of the M bars**, note there's only room for 1.5 fists, so I have a two finger overlap (clicky). Both bikes shown with 30L capacity - as an ultra-lighter, that's all I need for self-supported touring. A few reasons I prefer touring with the B though (clicky). And FWIW, a size comparison to my Dahons (clicky).

** M bar have changed for 2017+ and maybe too small for my mod, but to be honest, if I were to do it again, I'd seriously consider the P bars (function over form next time?).
Old 02-04-18, 12:28 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think you may find these well suited to Dutch conditions https://www.gazelle.nl/fietsen?tags=stadsfietsen.

Agreed it’s a good idea to talk to the locals before you buy - there’s a reason why the Dutch buy the bikes they do
Old 02-04-18, 09:20 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by reppans
Just added a grip position in the bottom of the 'U' of the M bars**, note there's only room for 1.5 fists, so I have a two finger overlap (clicky). Both bikes shown with 30L capacity - as an ultra-lighter, that's all I need for self-supported touring. A few reasons I prefer touring with the B though (clicky). And FWIW, a size comparison to my Dahons (clicky).

** M bar have changed for 2017+ and maybe too small for my mod, but to be honest, if I were to do it again, I'd seriously consider the P bars (function over form next time?).
Thanks, very helpful.

Originally Posted by avole
I think you may find these well suited to Dutch conditions https://www.gazelle.nl/fietsen?tags=stadsfietsen.

Agreed it’s a good idea to talk to the locals before you buy - there’s a reason why the Dutch buy the bikes they do
Yes. I realize my first task is to find an apartment, which will not be easy since the rental market is crazy there. If I end up with a place where I can park a city bike in a secure place, I can get a nicer bike for commuting. If it'll need to be outside all night, I won't put much money into it. After that's sorted, and I start to get the lay of the land, I'll decide if I want to jump into the folding bike world.
Old 02-04-18, 09:45 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I lived in Den Haag, and kept the bikes in the flat. Most of my friends did the same or kept them in a communal area. What you never want to do is leave them outside overnight.

You can leave bikes in secure parking spots, notably at stations including Amsterdam Centraal, but there is a fee. However, Amsterdam is quite well organised on this - see https://www.amsterdam.nl/parkeren-ve...fietsparkeren/ .

Once you find an apartment you’ll have to register with the town hall, and they should be able to tell you whether there is a secure parking in your area, and what the price is.
Old 02-04-18, 10:12 AM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Start with an old Yugoslavian Pony or East German MIFA(or some other ubiquitous 40yo brand), get the feel for it and find out what you like. Upgrade to nicer when you want, but you will always have a functional beater. Spray paint beater in color of your favorite team, seat, tires, fenders, lock. Meanwhile research gear inches and what you want in your next bike. Good luck and welcome to our world.
Old 02-05-18, 06:49 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looks like Holland Bike Shop sells quite a few folders:

https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/buyin.../folding-bike/