Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Flared drop bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 10:11 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RideMyLeMond
I just picked up my completed Diverge upgrade from my LBS and one item I had them swap out were the OEM bars for these particular bars in 44cm. I've only ridden the bike a few times thus far due to travel, but I like position options and the shallow drop. The flare is subtle enough but gives an extra measure of leverage while on the drops. Still need to test them on some downhill runs on both pavement and gravel... This is the only pix thus far...

Looks very nice. I was just at my LBS last night for another issue, asked if they kept that flare bar in stock, they said they didn't, but happened to have one that they had just taken off a new bike build, steeply discounted. I went ahead and bought it, think I will give it a try. I think it is a 42, which will be fine for me. This will also be going on a Diverge, so small world.
Old 04-19-18, 10:22 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I've got the ugliest drop bars in the world on my all road bike. Soma Condor.

Luckily they are also the most comfortable off-road drop bars I've ever ridden.
They look cool but do use lose too bar space for hands? I like riding on top of bars when pounding up hills
Old 04-19-18, 10:39 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
They look cool but do use lose too bar space for hands? I like riding on top of bars when pounding up hills
Same amount of tops space as regular drop bars. Just with a slight rise.
Old 05-18-18, 05:29 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Too much discussion, too few images here...

Ritchey Venturemax Comp 42mm

i like them, will keep them. Would love to try the narrower versions.
Old 05-18-18, 07:38 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
My concern with the Venturemax is the tilt of the lever/hoods. I'd like to know how it is riding on the hoods with that bar.

In the meantime, I have the Salsa Cowbell on my off-road bike. It's nice. It's actually the "Cowbell 3", which I guess is a discontinued model, and I got it for $40.
Old 05-18-18, 08:09 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got 42cm cowbells on one bike, and 44cm cowchippers on another. Replaced woodchippers because I thought they sucked for endurance riding. The cowchipper flare is pretty serious - not sure I'd want it unless I was hitting some nasty singletrack frequently.
Old 05-18-18, 10:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
My concern with the Venturemax is the tilt of the lever/hoods. I'd like to know how it is riding on the hoods with that bar.

In the meantime, I have the Salsa Cowbell on my off-road bike. It's nice. It's actually the "Cowbell 3", which I guess is a discontinued model, and I got it for $40.
Did you used to live in Atlanta?
Old 05-18-18, 01:13 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Not perfect but good enough and on the long haul I can still rotate into the hoods for 1/2 the time with no problem. I have short sausage fingers and I set my levers to be ideal in the drops. Ideal bar for me. It's not the tilt of the hoods, it is they are further around the bend and you don't have that nice flat level spot like you do with regular bars. For me now is almost always in the drops, with my old compact bars I was always in the hoods. Not because the hoods are bad now but the drops are so much better. I also flipped my stem over to +6 when I switched. Compared to the Veturemax pics above, my bar is rotated down more putting the reach and hoods sloping down more but it works for me.

Last edited by u235; 05-18-18 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 09:37 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Did you used to live in Atlanta?
No. Why would you think so?
Old 05-20-18, 10:00 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

Supergoose in NYC central park
Old 05-26-18, 05:51 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
I've got 42cm cowbells on one bike, and 44cm cowchippers on another. Replaced woodchippers because I thought they sucked for endurance riding. The cowchipper flare is pretty serious - not sure I'd want it unless I was hitting some nasty singletrack frequently.
Yeah, the Cowbell is flared enough for me on my gravel/adventure rig---seeing about 50/50 road/dirt(fireroads, some singletrack, not too technical). I've ridden the woodchippers too before--I think I'd only switch over to those if I was primarily in the dirt, particularly in more techy stuff.
Old 05-27-18, 07:55 PM
lennskii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are generally 2 levels of flare that would suit most gravel bikes.

Something like the Salsa Cowbell or Ritchey Evomax are moderately shallower drop than a normal road bike handlebar and flared around 12 degrees.

If you're riding knarlier terrain (more steep, technical terrain) or if you find you're not very flexible/agile (can't get comfy on drops or unnerving steering that low, but want more leverage or 1-finger breaking/grip of the drops) the Salsa Woodchipper or Ritchey VetntureMax have an even shallower drop and a 24 degree flare.
Old 06-20-18, 04:13 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
So I swapped out the stock 42cm compact drops for some 40cm Cowchippers with a 24 deg flare. With the angled hoods, they end up about 38cm ctc which is what I run on my road bike for aerodynamics(fitted for 42cm bars based on shoulder width). On the cross race bike I have standard compact 44cm bars for reference so I'm used to a somewhat wider than shoulder width grip in the drops. The cowchippers are something else for sure, about 50cm in the hooks and 56cm on the ends of the drops. I set bar drop so the hood position is where id normally run them since the drop on bars is smaller than normal but the increased width makes them effectively lower. Will have to play with the position to see if I can get them to work or if I'll have to swap to a 12 degree bar like the cowbell.
Old 06-23-18, 05:35 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I've had Cowchippers on my crosscheck for a couple years and still can't decide how I like them. I've been toying with the idea of swapping them to my Fargo (which is currently my single track slayer) an taking the cowbells off that. Reason being once I build up my Warakin I won't need a gravel century version of my Fargo anymore and the added leverage of the cowchipper might really kick ass. I need a warm afternoon and a few beers to make the swap, though.
Old 06-23-18, 06:43 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ve run a Cowbell II and a Bell Lap. The Cowbell had longer drops and felt like a longer reach for the drops. Also doesn’t have the ergo bump which the Bell does (like the Ritchey and I like). I went back to the Bell Lap because the bottom end of the drops is shorter. I run bar end shifters and it gives more room. I think total drop might be a touch more too which is nice in the wind. Somebody did a nice photo comparison of the Bell Lap and Cowchippers a few years back with photos and measurements - search online to find.