Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Clipless or flat pedals on your gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 12:53 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

Do you ride with flats or clipless pedals on your gravel/adventure bike?

I'm planning to use flats for the sheer convenience.

Having said that, I've thought about trying SPDs at some point.
Old 07-25-18, 01:01 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Have you used clipless pedals before?
I use SPDs, and have never even considered going back to platform.
Old 07-25-18, 01:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
get flip double sided pedals spud on one side, flat on the other..?

My adventures were touring , there I used Toe Clip Pedals ,
so my shoes* could be loose fitting, and have comfortable insoles..

JRA Around here, Platforms ..

* cyclocross from the pre Clipless era, quite modified..

Old 07-25-18, 01:06 PM
taz777

Originally Posted by motorthings
Have you used clipless pedals before?
I did for a while when I had a road bike - SPD-SLs. However, I really didn't get on with them as much of the riding I tend to do doesn't have long runs where you don't need to stop.

I was also a little nervous and had one big fall that made me ditch them for flats.

However, it's something I'm willing to try again in the future. I guess it was just a lack of confidence and the thought of not being unable to get my foot out when coming to a stop.
Old 07-25-18, 01:07 PM
MPE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I use SPDs with clip in on one side and flat on the other. I have both of these:
FUNN
https://rideissi.com/pedals/issi-flip
The Funn Mambas are better on the flat side and the Issi Flip are better on the clip side. I like them both. Once you clip in, you probably won't go back to flats on your gravel bike!

Take car,
Mike
<><
Likes For MPE:
Old 07-25-18, 01:15 PM
motorthings

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Originally Posted by taz777
I did for a while when I had a road bike - SPD-SLs. However, I really didn't get on with them as much of the riding I tend to do doesn't have long runs where you don't need to stop.

I was also a little nervous and had one big fall that made me ditch them for flats.

However, it's something I'm willing to try again in the future. I guess it was just a lack of confidence and the thought of not being unable to get my foot out when coming to a stop.
Many people fall once using clipless, rarely more often than that. My dad fell over 5 or 6 times before giving up, so maybe that helps the average curve for you?
I have always had the the luxury to stop very infrequently on my road and gravel rides, and value the connection and power transfer improvement of clipless.
Old 07-25-18, 01:31 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Cross bike is clipless but set up with pretty light disengagement when actually using it for cyclocross. I got platforms on the mtb. I don't have a dedicated adventure/gravel bike so I just pick between the mtb and cross bike depending on how I feel.
Old 07-25-18, 02:04 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I've got clipless on everything.

Originally Posted by taz777
However, I really didn't get on with them as much of the riding I tend to do doesn't have long runs where you don't need to stop.

Why wouldn't you be able to get your foot out? If the pedal tension is set appropriately, it's just a light outward kick of the heel.

When approaching a stop, anticipate the clip-out, don't wait until the moment of stopping to unclip. Prepare to put your foot down while you're still moving, so that you can simply put it down when you're stopped.

If you don't want to commit, you can have both by using a dual-sided pedal like a Shimano M324. Some people worry that pedals like this are harder to clip into because the SPD is single-side, but this isn't actually a problem; if your foot happens to land on the platform side when you start moving, just pedal normally until you're ready to flip the pedal and clip in.
Old 07-25-18, 03:26 PM
rangie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I've got flats on everything. Not all stops are anticipated. My feet don't come off unexpectedly unless Im already going to crash and any tiny performance gain isn't worth the trouble. Five tens are super comfortable, better for walking in and only half as dorkey looking as bike shoes.
Old 07-25-18, 03:39 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I'm another with clipless on all my bikes. My gravel bike has a set of Shimano SPD XT's and I think they're great.
Old 07-25-18, 03:50 PM
Facanh

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rangie
I've got flats on everything. Not all stops are anticipated. My feet don't come off unexpectedly unless Im already going to crash and any tiny performance gain isn't worth the trouble. Five tens are super comfortable, better for walking in and only half as dorkey looking as bike shoes.
Five Ten makes SPD shoes too. I just got some Hellcats. They're also super comfortable, I can walk in them pretty good, and they have the same skate shoe look.
Old 07-25-18, 04:03 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
SPD clipless on everything: road, mtb, hybrid, & gravel.

Flats won't feel "convenient" when your foot slips off the pedal in the rain while you're crossing a busy road from a stop.
Old 07-25-18, 06:00 PM
sjfoote081

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 1, Motobecane Fantom 650b

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Mountain bike style flats on all my bikes. With the traction pins installed, I do not have issues with slipping, even when shoes are wet. Have used several different styles of SPD pedals in the past but just do not find them necessary for my riding, so all shoes and pedals were eventually sold on craigslist. Maybe not ideal for racing but it works for me.
Old 07-25-18, 06:20 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
To each his won but I use clipless.

With the right shoes there is no loss of convenience over flat pedals and the extra control make it worth it.
Old 07-25-18, 06:24 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Spd for gravel for sure. Set it to easy release. Use more muscles. Spin instead of just mash.
Old 07-25-18, 08:03 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Flats w/pins and 5.10 Aescent shoes for me.
Old 07-25-18, 09:40 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
studded/pinned vp-01 flat pedals, and saucony tr_ trail shoes. Feet stay nicely planted even at high speeds. Can bail without thought or hesitation. Works in start/stop conditions.
Old 07-26-18, 01:11 AM
taz777

Thanks for all the replies. I'll look into clipless in a couple of months time as I would need to get a pair of shoes with the pedals. I sold my old SLD-SL pedals and shoes a while back.

For the first few weeks I'm going to use the flat pedals from my MTB just to get used to the bike, and then think about switching to clipless.
Old 07-26-18, 06:31 AM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
I'm another with clipless on all my bikes. My gravel bike has a set of Shimano SPD XT's and I think they're great.

me too, my mountain bike and gravel bike both have spd's on them, I can wear my sidi dominators with those pedals and they are easy to walk in
if I have to get off the gravel bike to get over extra rough terrain. Wouldn't want to try transversing any type of terrain in my flat soled shoes with
bigger clips
Old 07-26-18, 07:42 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flat spiked pedals only for me. Why? Because I don't want to be restrictive to a type of shoe and I heard all the arguments about why you should go clips and that's fine if you are a street rider but with gravel you can go past that I say flat spiked. Main reason at times a path will lead me to water which is why during the warm months I am riding in Keen toe-covered sandals. During the colder months I used to wear Vans but wasn't crazy about the support so for now I use my sneakers or hiking boots or whatever. The point is I want to be able to wear what I want when I want.

I can also go into where I stand with bike clothing but that doesn't fit your question.

Last edited by IvyGodivy; 07-26-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-26-18, 07:44 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Ah man this thread is entirely too civil!
Old 07-26-18, 10:21 AM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Both - Shimano PD-A530
Old 07-26-18, 11:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Clipess, of course.

Originally Posted by IvyGodivy
Flat spiked pedals only for me. Why? Because I don't want to be restrictive to a type of shoe and I heard all the arguments about why you should go clips and that's fine if you are a street rider but with gravel you can go past that I say flat spiked. Main reason at times a path will lead me to water which is why during the warm months I am riding in Keen toe-covered sandals. During the colder months I used to wear Vans but wasn't crazy about the support so for now I use my sneakers or hiking boots or whatever. The point is I want to be able to wear what I want when I want.

I can also go into where I stand with bike clothing but that doesn't fit your question.
I still have a pair of Keen SPD sandals. Used to wear them to bike to the beach and swim in, there are a lot of rocks in the water and they protect my feet while I wade out until it's deep enough to swim.
Old 07-26-18, 11:47 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IvyGodivy

You can get clipless sandals, skate style shoes, hiking boots, or even winter boots.
Old 07-27-18, 08:06 AM
DRSADV13

Bikes: CO-OP Cycles ADV 1.1, CO-OP Cycles ADV 3.1, CO-OP Cycles ARD 1.3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been really happy with the Shimano Deore XT PD-T8000 SPD/Flats combo I have on mine. Much better for the off-road stuff than the Shimano PD-A530 (which I have on my road touring bike). Little pricey but I got mine on sale...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.