Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Why no Brompton copy?

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Why no Brompton copy?

Old 04-24-19, 07:39 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
So would I,...and I mean STOCK! LOL! The problem is that the brommie fanboi's will argue "CUSTOMIZATION!!!" and the only customizing I'd like to do is decide what 8 or 11 speed internal geared hub I'd like in my rear wheel. I don't wan't to be required to change the entire rear of the bike,...I like simplicity.
Yeah, thats exactly what Im getting at. Brompton could space at 135 and allow for stock/standard drivetrain components without compromising the design. They just choose not to.
So I choose not to buy one.
Likes For Banzai:
Old 04-25-19, 09:16 AM
jonmanjiro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The very next post...

Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
The problem is that the brommie fanboi's will argue "CUSTOMIZATION!!!"
Originally Posted by Raxel View Post
There are following aftermarket parts available

a) 135mm spacing rear frame
b) 112mm spacing 349 wheelset that accepts standard 11 spd cassette
Likes For jonmanjiro:
Old 04-25-19, 09:57 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 6757 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 140 Posts
"You Guys Should , committee", members are quite busy trying to keep up with the orders

for the bikes they make as they are.. # 1 fold gets wider with that wider rear hub ,
And since chainline is further out , that also widens the folded size at the crankset end..

You as an individual can go to some of the 3rd party component makers to supply your individual desires ..

they make what you, 'Banzi' want to see ....

Bike friday Pack It is a different fold , but they can male you a 349 wheel bike with 135 rear hubs

and you can choose from a menu of more common components ..

which you won't be a force of 1 forcing the successful Brompton company to change their product, just for you

(unless you buy out the whole company.. ) got Bezos' Bucks?

Old 04-25-19, 12:34 PM
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
The very next post...
Exactly my point!

Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
"You Guys Should , committee", members are quite busy trying to keep up with the orders

for the bikes they make as they are.. # 1 fold gets wider with that wider rear hub ,
And since chainline is further out , that also widens the folded size at the crankset end..

You as an individual can go to some of the 3rd party component makers to supply your individual desires ..

they make what you, 'Banzi' want to see ....

Bike friday Pack It is a different fold , but they can male you a 349 wheel bike with 135 rear hubs

and you can choose from a menu of more common components ..

which you won't be a force of 1 forcing the successful Brompton company to change their product, just for you

(unless you buy out the whole company.. ) got Bezos' Bucks?

And since I can't buy it stock, Brompton won't be getting my $$$,... I'm not interested in swapping out stupid expensive frame parts,...and that will never change. And we all have a right to say exactly what we want, and you liking it or not makes no difference.

Remember this, bike stores are folding (get it,..), companies are seeing drastic changes in the market,... Let's see what the future holds. Brompton my have to go with future trends. And if not,...who cares? I'll just continue to purchase a different brand.
Old 04-25-19, 01:12 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Why Copy?

Bike friday has a JIT frame making process and offers Sizes ..

And a Parts pick Menu you choose ..

they just are not a folding bike any more.. Tikit production went over to making the PackIt

they mix some folding and some quick Knockdown .. to make the bike into a small size

and keep it pretty light in the process.. 4130 steel ..

Still using the 349 rim wheel type so have the same tire choices...
but you can get a Di2 Alfine 11 speed belt drive if you wish ..

or drop bars .. etc. Oregon made..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-25-19 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 11:18 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly DT14

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut View Post
Nobody apart from you was using the term "international copyright" - possibly because it is not a legal term as far as I know. To invent a term as you did and immediately claim it would not exist seems a bit silly...
FYI - I got that term from researching the US government Copyright webpages.
Likes For tcs:
Old 04-26-19, 11:50 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly DT14

Interestingly enough, this very same topic was discussed recently on the UK's CTC forum:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122058

with ~ eventually ~ the same answers: the patents have run out, there's no such thing as worldwide copyright and there are in fact a great many Andrew Ritchie-pattern bikes sold in markets other than where the OP lives.

Last edited by tcs; 04-26-19 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 11:58 AM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just handling a Brompton Ch3 titanium today when meeting with the owner who had some bike lights advertised for sale. He stated that he'd special ordered it from Toronto and only 3 were available in Canada. Nice bike overall. Never heard of the brand before today!

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 04-27-19 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 12:00 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Not No...

borrowed from linked site
3Sixty, B-Bike, Chedech, Cigna, Crosshead, Flamingo, Fova, Groo, Java, La Bici, MIT, Neo, Pico, Sanye, United and Viking
are just some of the brand names

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-28-19 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 08:18 PM
kraftwerk
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 80's Rossin / 90's Merlin/ 70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahooga can roll folded, and has slightly bigger wheels and a lower price-point, two very big improvements over Brompton. Hard to beat the "compact-ness" and the fold of Brompton, but Ahooga seems like a good evolution of it's basic attributes.
Old 04-27-19, 10:03 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk View Post
Ahooga seems like a good evolution of it's basic attributes.
No fenders and front wheel needs to be taken off I must be dense
Old 04-27-19, 11:16 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Goodness! Brompton fan boys get so upset! All bent out of shape, suggesting I would need to buy the company to change them, when Im merely stating my personal opinion on why I wont buy one.

I suppose thats reason #2 not to buy one: after the Brompton psychological conditioning, maybe Ill get all up in arms whenever someone expresses a reasonable opinion about not buying one. It would certainly make me unpleasant to be around.
Old 04-28-19, 02:08 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk View Post
Ahooga can roll folded, and has slightly bigger wheels and a lower price-point, two very big improvements over Brompton. Hard to beat the "compact-ness" and the fold of Brompton, but Ahooga seems like a good evolution of it's basic attributes.
However,
  • to get the smallest fold, the front wheel must be removed and tacked onto the frame
  • fenders are collapsible; Not sure if they're as good as real ones
  • no welded lug in the front, so must either carry a backpack or install a Klickfix Caddy adapter onto the stem, which affects steering
  • 20" wheels make for a bigger fold
  • not currently available with a gear hub, which is a shame for a city bike
On the plus side, thanks to the the frame + alumin(i)um, riding feels closer to a big bike, just like the Birdy.

Old 04-28-19, 08:37 AM
kraftwerk
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 80's Rossin / 90's Merlin/ 70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say the Team Brompton defends their choices quite briskly, I will admit "the fold" is # 1 in the industry... Some people though, will see the bigger wheels and the diamond /triangle frame of the Ahooga and see two real big advancements there. I have ridden neither, just going by looks.
One folder is not better than another it... just which one is better for YOU & where you are using it.
One could argue, also, if you really want... That I DON'T EVEN OWN A FOLDING BIKE since my two are a Folding Twenty & Ti "Swift"- I never fold them, they break down and are built up for air-travel, which takes good 15 min. each time. The way those two 'fold" are nothing to write home about.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 04-28-19 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 09:31 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
However,
  • to get the smallest fold, the front wheel must be removed and tacked onto the frame
  • fenders are collapsible; Not sure if they're as good as real ones
  • no welded lug in the front, so must either carry a backpack or install a Klickfix Caddy adapter onto the stem, which affects steering
  • 20" wheels make for a bigger fold
  • not currently available with a gear hub, which is a shame for a city bike
On the plus side, thanks to the the frame + alumin(i)um, riding feels closer to a big bike, just like the Birdy.
Thanks for the clarifications. I normally avoid alu frames but on a couple of occasions when I rented higher end alu bikes they rode nicely.
Old 04-28-19, 09:34 AM
tcs
Palmer

Uh, yeah, the Ahooga fold is larger and more complicated than a garden variety 20" Dahon (and its myriad of copies). It's like a more primitive Birdy, Ori or Tyrell. Arguable even if it's an improvement over the Bernds. I can't seem to find a price - hopefully, it's inexpensive.

Last edited by tcs; 05-02-19 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 11:48 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "muscular" version starts at ~ €1,300 (a bit more in $), while the pedelec is about twice that much.

I was told that most customers in its native Brussels go for the pedelec, which is understandable considering the hills.