Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Building Site

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel Building Site

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-19, 11:41 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Wheel Building Site

Is there a site or or any good You-Tube videos for wheel building? I am attempting my first build.
My brother has the skills, so I could ask him for pointers. He built me a very nice wheel once, an amazing wheel in fact.
...but he lives 7 hrs away, with bad phone reception.
Also: How much are good quality spokes, in general ....and in specific : this is for a 451 sized wheel so the spokes might have to be 'custom-cut' or at least will be very hard to find?
I'd like to use DT Swiss..just because.. you, know: Switzerland!
...but are those still actually MADE there? Will it be hard to find an odd size? I will be needing 32 of 'em minimum....

Thanks..

Old 05-14-19, 12:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
here's a good video:

Old 05-14-19, 12:21 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
if you want to read about it: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

How to lace a 32 spoke 3 cross wheel: https://www.google.com/search?q=laci...TF-8#kpvalbx=1

The same group - The Bike Tube - has plenty of youtube videos on how to proceed beyond lacing.
Old 05-14-19, 01:49 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
The problem with most sites - with the exception of Sheldon Brown is that they get a lot of things wrong.

ERD - many just don't know what it is.
DISH - many don't know that there's two kinds of dish, and which one is directly relevant to building a wheel.
Stress Relief - many don't know what it is OR use something that isn't or threaten to taco the wheel.

The posted video isn't too bad...for stress relief...ONLY if your stomping action is actually being stopped by limiting action of the spokes themselves.

Light stomping, or easy squeezes using the hand method doesn't cut it - you really have to drive the tension up a good 30%-50% - using the hand method with gloves is painful.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 05-14-19, 01:56 PM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by jlaw
if you want to read about it: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

How to lace a 32 spoke 3 cross wheel: https://www.google.com/search?q=laci...TF-8#kpvalbx=1

The same group - The Bike Tube - has plenty of youtube videos on how to proceed beyond lacing.

Sadly, their video on spoke length determination would indicate that:

A. They're reliant on misinformation for ERD.
B. Likely do not know what it really is and how it's determined.

For example, he went ahead and trusted the 605 number for the Mavic Open Pro which made me cringe.

=8-(

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 05-14-19, 04:53 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Which rim and hub? Front wheel for a recumbent?
Old 05-14-19, 04:59 PM
davidad

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=16558
Old 05-15-19, 05:09 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Sadly, their video on spoke length determination would indicate that:

A. They're reliant on misinformation for ERD.
B. Likely do not know what it really is and how it's determined.

For example, he went ahead and trusted the 605 number for the Mavic Open Pro which made me cringe.

=8-(
It is true that many of the wheel building references out there have some good insights/information, but also may not cover every aspect completely and correctly.

Being a novice I looked at all sorts of videos and written material before starting my first build. The thing I was most concerned about was ordering the correct length spokes so I used 3 different web sites to verify. The results were within .5 mm of each other. Having spokes too short or long would be a bummer!
Old 05-15-19, 07:40 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Is there a site or or any good You-Tube videos for wheel building? I am attempting my first build.
My brother has the skills, so I could ask him for pointers. He built me a very nice wheel once, an amazing wheel in fact.
...but he lives 7 hrs away, with bad phone reception.
Also: How much are good quality spokes, in general ....and in specific : this is for a 451 sized wheel so the spokes might have to be 'custom-cut' or at least will be very hard to find?
I'd like to use DT Swiss..just because.. you, know: Switzerland!
...but are those still actually MADE there? Will it be hard to find an odd size? I will be needing 32 of 'em minimum....

Thanks..
Let's start with how to build a wheel. I'm not a proponent of looking at everything on YouTube. Printed material is way easier to follow, back up, review and in general find what you are looking for. And you don't get grease on the keyboard. If you can add in personal instruction, that's much better. Look around for a co-op in your area that offers wheel building classes or see if they have someone who can show you how (if they don't charge you, make a damned good donation!). My fall back for instructions are from a 1986 series of articles in Bicycling Magazine by Eric Hjertberg...my wheel building class is designed around it. Luckily, you can still find a link to the series of articles here. It's a bit dated but the build technique is still valid. Read the first two articles for nostalgia. The last two contain the instructions on how to build.

As to spokes, you'll need to figure out what length spokes you need before you start anything. This spoke calculator is reasonable reliable for modern hubs and spokes. You can also make the measurements and input the data. Based on a Shimano hub and a Sun rim, you are going to need spokes around 210mm to 215mm (the details will vary). DT makes them but they may be difficult to find. You'll probably have the best luck looking for BMX parts. Prices on spokes are also variable. DT and Sapim are going to be around $1 per spoke.

And don't walk on your wheels. They aren't meant for that. Hjertberg (and others) form the spokes around the hub so that you don't have to walk on them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-15-19, 09:08 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Perfect, this should get me going. I feel like wheel-building is some uncharted territory I must traverse.
Hmmm, Bicycling Magazine's Eric Hjertberg, sounds familiar I guess I remember reading his name 'back in the day'.

The hub is a Ritchey 32h

Rim will be: 20" x 1-1/8 Sun Assault SL1 BMX rim Black - Double Wall - Aluminum - 32h - 451mm

It is a front wheel for a folding bike, Ti-"Swift" folder..

Thanks All!

Last edited by kraftwerk; 05-15-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-15-19, 11:08 AM
davidad

I like his method for spoking a wheel. https://www.scribd.com/doc/26719057/...Wheel-Building
Old 05-16-19, 12:07 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Here's a link to Jobst Brandt's book, which I find to be an invaluable reference.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/261771508...-Brandt-3rd-Ed
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-19-19, 11:49 AM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Best videos I ever saw were these ones by Ashley Malcolm of Brockley Bikes. They were the only ones that I actually followed when I disassembled and reassembled a spare wheel I had lying about. As far as tension goes, I think I may have been a little high, but the wheel was/is fine. Additional tips and learning came from Roger Musson's downloadable PDF.

Old 05-19-19, 07:58 PM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by migrantwing
Best videos I ever saw were these ones by Ashley Malcolm of Brockley Bikes. They were the only ones that I actually followed when I disassembled and reassembled a spare wheel I had lying about. As far as tension goes, I think I may have been a little high, but the wheel was/is fine. Additional tips and learning came from Roger Musson's downloadable PDF.

Front Wheel Build

Rear Wheel Build
1. He doesn't do stress relieving in either video...

2. He does the stretch thing in first video - risking tacoing the wheels - and I certainly hope he doesn't call that stress relieving because it isn't.

=8-(

Disclaimer:

Old 05-19-19, 10:40 PM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
1. He doesn't do stress relieving in either video...

2. He does the stretch thing in first video - risking tacoing the wheels - and I certainly hope he doesn't call that stress relieving because it isn't.

=8-(
Yes, you're correct.

I preferred these videos as they weren't mind bogglingly boring or unintelligible for me to understand when I wanted to attempt to build a wheel. That's why I prefferred it to any other. As mentioned, stress relief and other tips not mentioned in the videos came from Roger Musson's PDF.

I don't build wheels everyday or every year for that matter, so it helped me learn. That's just my personal opinion.
Old 05-20-19, 06:53 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Dan's Comp will have the spokes that you need. They are cheap and fast and will sell you the exact number and length that you need. They will make you talk to their spoke guy over the telephone to order spokes.