Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Which One?
Cannondale Quick Disc 2
60.00%
Canyon Roadlite 7.0
40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Bike Advice

Old 06-13-19, 11:26 AM
AKB5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Advice

All,

First time post here:

I'm a 39 year old male in the Washington, D.C. area and am planning on buying a hybrid bike that I can use for some short commuting (less than 3 miles each way), riding around with my kids, some fun weekend rides (nothing longer than 15 miles), and some simple errands. Between going to multiple bike stores, reading forums, and reviews, I have narrowed my list to two bikes.

Cannondale Quick Disc 2 (can't post the link since I'm a new poster)

Canyon Roadlite 7.0 (can't post the link since I'm a new poster)

My thought is that Canyon has a slightly lighter frame, a bit cheaper, better group set (Shimano 105 compared to SRAM Apex 1), and a bit more stylish (subjective I know). I also think it's better that the Canyon is 2x11 compared to 1x11 in the Cannondale.

Please give your candid thoughts and if I'm missing any bikes in the $1,000 price point section.

Thanks everyone and Happy Thursday!
Old 06-13-19, 11:27 AM
AKB5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also

I put a poll to make it easier, but I would love some actual discussion as to why you made the choice you did.
Old 06-13-19, 11:44 AM
AKB5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last thing

While I know there is good/great value in buying an used bike, I don't want to pursue that avenue and would rather just buy a new bike.
Old 06-13-19, 11:47 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Ordinarily, my first piece of advice would be to go ride 'em both, but that is likely not an option for the Canyon. So a slight advantage there to the Cannondale.

The 1X drivetrain will not be a hindrance for you in your application, and may well be better, as it's unlikely you will use the full range of a compact double on any given day.

Another point for the Cannondale is that it uses a normal stem and handlebar, meaning you can change one or the other should the need or desire ever arise. Canyon's is a one piece. Want to change one, have to change both.
Bottom bracket: BSA-threaded cartridge on the Cannondale, press-fit on the Canyon. That's an advantage to the Cannondale in my book.

But, the Roadlite is a better looking bike, at least IMO, and I'm not one for matte black. You might turn the cranks on the Canyon once and know you were meant to be together.

Shame the good colorways start on the Roadlite 8.0. The blue one is nice.

Definitely test-ride the Cannondale. In my consideration it has the edge, on paper. Canyon definitely better looking, though.
Old 06-13-19, 11:49 AM
AKB5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

I'm planning on riding the Cannondale tomorrow, so some excellent points I would not have known.

I agree w/you on the aesthetics of the Canyon is cooler, and I do like the matte black one for sure.
Old 06-13-19, 11:50 AM
brian3069

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
links

https://www.cannondale.com/USA/bike/...8-e9e0689b418e

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/fitness...ts-section-tab
Old 06-13-19, 11:53 AM
AKB5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Links

Yea, I have them up on my computer, but thanks for sharing with the forum to give some better side by side comparison.
Old 06-13-19, 11:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Canyon have any dealers for test rides, before buying?
Old 06-13-19, 11:59 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I prefer the Cannondale for all the valid reasons the DR mentioned above. The non-adjustable handlebar/stem on the Canyon is especially troubling, even more so if you can't test ride it! Plus, flat black has been long overplayed, and is quite boring in my opinion. *yawn*
Old 06-13-19, 12:06 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Which one rode the best?
Old 06-13-19, 06:42 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
All black bikes certainly have run their course. Overdone and overcooked. I do like the light blue of the Cdale, but if an all black bike blows your hair back and will ensure you ride it, then by all means get it.

I much prefer Shimano over Sram, so you won't go wrong there.
Old 06-13-19, 06:43 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 128 Posts
They look to be extremely similar bikes, and I agree with above statements on a few of the differences:

Threaded bottom bracket over press fit any day. Conventional stem & bar over integrated for anything except a time trial wunderbike.
Old 06-14-19, 11:27 AM
AKB5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your help. I'm riding the Cannondale Quick Disc 2 later today. I've read some articles describing the difference between press fit vs threaded bottom bracket, so good to notice and ask about. I think the stem and handlebar on the Canyon is separate similar to the Cannondale.

I'm leaning towards the Canyon b/c of lighter frame weight, better components, cheaper, and seems like more bang for buck. In terms of aesthetics, I do like the Cannondale more, but not that much more.
Old 06-24-19, 11:11 AM
AKB5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All,

I rode the Cannondale Quick Disc 2, and I did like it a lot. However, with taxes, protection plans, etc, it was going to be $1,300+, whereas Canyon would be $1,000. Given that it is a lighter frame, better groupset (Shimano 105 vs. SRAM Apex 1 / Apex), AND cheaper costs, I am going to go with Canyon Roadlite 7.0 in Black/White.

Thank you all for your advice, it made me ask more questions and get more understanding of the purchase.
Old 06-24-19, 12:39 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I like the Canyon primarily because it has Shimano hubs in the wheels. But the lack of a test ride or physical bike to touch before ordering kind of screws up the most important part of chosing a bike - the fit. I tried to find the geometry of the Canyon on their website to compare it to the Cannondale, but I etither can't find it or it is not published there.

Odds are that it will be built like a normal bike and within reasonable ranges for a human cyclist, but I can't be sure.

If the Cannondale fits I would buy that. What model derailleur and brake lever and tires is meaningless compared to the fit the bike.
Old 06-24-19, 02:30 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I am going to bow out, I don't have the expertise you are seeking, but at that price point, you are wise to research carefully and think it through. Good luck, I hope whatever choice you make is the best one for you.