Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Premium Valve Cores

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Premium Valve Cores

Old 06-17-19, 05:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Do your car tires have to be reinflated regularly?
Usually every time I drive. Sometimes a couple of times between uses too.

Of course, I just got my Blazer back on the road for the first time in 4 1/2 years.

Tires, Tubes, whatever, will leak down slowly.

The thicker the tire/tube, and with the more volume the slower it will leak down.

The thinner the tire/tube, and the less volume, the faster it will leak down.

On my bike, I'll monitor the pressure regularly, but will only pump up once a month or so. But, I also let the pressure vary considerably, probably somewhere in the range of about 50 to 110 lbs.
Old 06-17-19, 05:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by kovacsa
Thanks, Do you have the link for the site you mentioned? I was considering Presta, but my rims are Schrader. I have a feeling that Presta is better at keeping the pressure.
Google Sheldon Brown. Easy to find. Now I don't know where in the website the info might be. (Don't have time to do this now.)

Ben
Old 06-17-19, 06:02 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I don't think that most of that is true. Schrader valves are found lots of places besides relatively low pressure automobile tires. Trucks, for instance commonly use around 100psi tire pressure and they use Schrader valves. How about your home air conditioner? Lots higher pressure and they are expected to not leak at all.
I have to agree, I can't imagine Schrader valves being any worse than Presta. Plus, they have the spring to help keep the valve closed, when the Presta uses internal air pressure alone to keep it closed (plus that screw on cap which really isn't necessary).

I do like the Presta on bikes, but there really isn't a good reason.

Originally Posted by kovacsa
Thanks, Do you have the link for the site you mentioned? I was considering Presta, but my rims are Schrader.
There was a discussion recently about Continental brand tubes (maybe other brands too) that come with a stepped nut. Apparently simply turn the stepped nut upward for Schrader, and downward for Presta.

There may be other Presta/Schrader adapters, but it probably isn't necessary as long as there aren't any burrs in the hole.
Old 06-17-19, 06:14 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
The thicker the tire/tube, and with the more volume the slower it will leak down.

The thinner the tire/tube, and the less volume, the faster it will leak down.
This is true and loss of air through the tube annoys me. I put the largest volume tube that will fit my tires in. I only loose 3psi in over two weeks this way. I purchased a very expensive touring bicycle over 5 years ago and had similar leakage as kovacsa. I have 26X2 tires and managed to put in 26X2.3 to 26X2.7 Conti freeride tubes.
Old 06-17-19, 06:17 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
"It seem to be an issue with any tube I've used to date (different brands, etc)."

Somehow I don't think that they are all defective. One or two here and there, maybe. All of them? Nah.
Old 06-17-19, 06:47 PM
CliffordK

Oh, another thing. Sealant can make a mess out of just about anything.

Not saying it is bad, but just one has to be prepared. Remove and clean the core and stem?
Old 06-17-19, 07:14 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
You have presta valves that require threading the chuck onto the valve stem? How strange, I've never seen one.
You're right I should have said pushed onto the valve stem. I don't have to do that when I pump a Schrader valve tire with my air compressor.

Actually, I take it back. You thread a needle so I don't think my use of that word was incorrect at all.
Old 06-17-19, 09:18 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I have had valve cores leak, but it's very rare. Usually you can see a valve core fail the water dunk test by the bubbles coming out.

Of course, one could buy a set of the metal valve caps with the seal inside the cap if your really concerned about cores leaking.

Permeability of tubes was mentioned as well. I can say that in my limited experience with thick thorn resistant bicycle tubes that they hold air much longer than the standard thin tubes.

Last edited by FiftySix; 06-18-19 at 05:57 PM. Reason: fixin' incorrectness
Old 06-18-19, 05:52 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
I have had different brands of tubes lose air at different rates. My wife's road bike (presta valved tubes) loses air quicker in the front tire than the rear. Neither tube has been patched, neither has any sealant, tires and rims are free of anything which would cause a leak. Isn't major enough to replace the tube which loses air more quickly, but it's noticeable after the bike might sit for a while. The only thing I can figure is that the tubes are dif.brands and lose air at dif.rates (don't remember brand names). Maybe you could try a different brand of tube?
Old 06-18-19, 08:45 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Usually, a leaking Shrader valve is an indication it just needs to be tightened into the stem a bit. A core removal tool can be used to do it.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 06-18-19, 11:13 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
You're right I should have said pushed onto the valve stem. I don't have to do that when I pump a Schrader valve tire with my air compressor.

Actually, I take it back. You thread a needle so I don't think my use of that word was incorrect at all.
If you want the ultimate in simple operation presta heads, this is it. Easier than ANY Schrader chuck. Before first use, you set the rubber washer compression.

Then you just pop it on and air it up. No levers, no screwing,

Old 06-19-19, 05:49 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts

R G -

I would not consider uttering "incorrect" and thereby contradict you, but might we not be able to agree that certain less erudite folk,* find "threading" a somewhat unusual usage of the term in the example above ... For is one not actually using thread when one "threads a needle"? Thus perhaps one might use in this way, the phrase "chucking a valve", to describe the action of enclosing a valve stem with a chuck, prior to pumping?

Yours in pedantry, Last

*Amongst whom I must, with downcast eyes, take my rightful place.
Old 06-19-19, 06:06 PM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
If you want the ultimate in simple operation presta heads, this is it. Easier than ANY Schrader chuck. Before first use, you set the rubber washer compression.

Then you just pop it on and air it up. No levers, no screwing,

I would imagine that a gentleman going by the name of "Retro Grouch" is probably familiar with a Silca type pump head.

Regarding ease of inflation...I think that was his point, if one has a hose that is connected to an on demand compressor, like at a gas station, Schrader heads/valves are quicker, potentially, as they provide instant inflation just by making proper contact, whereas the Silca type as pictured would require an additional mechanism to prevent the air from escaping when not inflating the tube. ( Think NASCAR pit stop for reference.)

Last edited by Last ride 76; 06-19-19 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-19-19, 06:49 PM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by baconshakes
Instantly inflates Presta or Schrader just by making proper contact...

Aha, winner, winner, chicken dinner. I'll keep my eyes open for a used one.
Old 06-20-19, 12:36 AM
rollalongnow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wheels have schrader valves and I debated a long time using grommets to go presta. Then I stumbled on the Continentals with the metal stem. I’ve been very pleased with the results holding pressure. Maybe try a couple. They are not for 28 as the label appears to indicate when you look at it. I used it with 32s, and when I tried to put them into a 28 the tube was too large and had folds so I stuck with the 32. May have been that specific tire, but it was a pretty good size fold for the 28.