Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 06-18-19, 10:06 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
How are the mixed spd pedals versus just using MTB pedals? I find the MTB ones a bit difficult to get into/out of in a hurry.
I don't race cx (hell, I dislocated my fibula and haven't done more than little cruising rides around the neighborhood with my kids in a year), but I find the XT PD-M8020 style

is great for the need for fast in and out. If you can't get clipped in right away, you've got a large platform that you can still get power out of while locking in. Much better in gravel where I'm going down a hill and find I have to take a hard turn/corner faster than I'm expecting and temporarily unclip than when I used to use the old spd pedals without the cage (especially the one sided ones which are nice and light and never have pedal strike issues, but, if you find out it's upside down, there's not really much other than the axle to push on). Yeah, it's a little bigger so I've had a couple pedal strike issues when really leaning into a turn on pavement, but I'm using them currently on a low bb road bike with 175 mm cranks. Higher BB or shorter cranks, and it shouldn't be an issue. Or I could just not be a jackass on those turns because it was the same ones every time until I learned to back off a bit or not try pedaling through while leaning the bike that far.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-18-19, 10:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Commute this morning was good. Took about 33 minutes or so, driving takes 18 or 20 usually. Shower wasn't bad, definitely necessary, and I'll get quicker once I figure out a better routine.

I need the shower so badly that even after the shower, and after changing, and after getting back to my cube, I was still overheated and forehead sweating a bit. I need a cooler shower next time to cool off. I don't think no shower is going to be possible for me though. It's overall downhill, but relatively rolling on the second half with some decent (for me) climbs.

Overall it probably cost me an extra 20 minutes more than driving. Today I'll take a slightly long way home probably. Going to try and start commuting 2 days a week consistently and see how it goes. One day straight home, one day longer ride on the way home.
I got a small desk fan at Target that helps a lot. Just aiming it at my face really seems to work to cool my whole body down.
Old 06-18-19, 10:27 AM
himespau 

I used to have a fan that I kept under my desk when I commuted. Also hooks/hangers for my cycling clothes under there as well. The fan cooled my undercarriage and dried the jersey/bibs.
Old 06-19-19, 09:09 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I got a small desk fan at Target that helps a lot. Just aiming it at my face really seems to work to cool my whole body down.
Originally Posted by himespau
I used to have a fan that I kept under my desk when I commuted. Also hooks/hangers for my cycling clothes under there as well. The fan cooled my undercarriage and dried the jersey/bibs.
Man, you guys are full of great ideas.

How about carrying wallet, work phone, keys, badge, etc?

I stuck it all in a big ziploc and put it in my pocket, but it's larger and heavier than I like having in my pockets. Any of those bags for on top of the top tube, or in the triangle worth anything? I keep my knees pretty narrow, so I'm wary of anything near my knees, either seated or standing, but I'm not sure I have any other option.
Old 06-19-19, 10:17 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I always carried phone, keys, badge, pump in my jersey pockets. It feels better to have it not in a ziploc, and have the stuff distributed between the 3 pockets. Now that my commute is shorter, but I need to bring my laptop back and forth I wear a backpack. The pack does bother me, especially in warm weather so I'm thinking of getting a rack/pannier setup.
Old 06-19-19, 10:23 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I just carry a backpack these days so all that stuff just goes in there. In my old job where I was able to stash clothes for the week and didn't need the backpack, I would just do like cmh and distribute that stuff.
Old 06-19-19, 10:24 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Distributed might be fine, except I'm worried my sweat/rain will damage the wallet/phone/keys/badge. I suppose I could use a few small ziplocs, probably be fine. Certainly cheaper, and keeps crap off the bike from bumping my legs.

I normally just ride training with my primary phone in a ziploc, work phone/wallet/keys stays home. Only other stuff usually in my pockets is my cleat covers, and a route if I have one and it's not stuffed on my thigh under my bibs.
Old 06-19-19, 08:34 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I bike commutes twice this week. Which is damm near a record for me Haha. Tuesday on the way out the door my front light finally bit the dust. Cable pulled out fo the light after all these years of being kinda finicky. Luckily it was already pretty bright out so I was okay.

Got to work and figured out how tear the thing apart. Simple solder join had gone bad. Got it soldered back up and it's as good as new! Was looking for an excuse to buy a new light but I guess having the 100$ is worth it!
Old 06-19-19, 09:14 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I bike commutes twice this week. Which is damm near a record for me Haha. Tuesday on the way out the door my front light finally bit the dust. Cable pulled out fo the light after all these years of being kinda finicky. Luckily it was already pretty bright out so I was okay.

Got to work and figured out how tear the thing apart. Simple solder join had gone bad. Got it soldered back up and it's as good as new! Was looking for an excuse to buy a new light but I guess having the 100$ is worth it!
I have a set of huge, probably 10 year old lights with big batteries that attach to the frame and stuff.

I didn't even bother testing them out before buying my new ones, lights have come so far the new stuff is so much smaller, lasts longer, has more settings, and is brighter. It's amazing how far batteries and LEDs have come in a short time.
Old 06-20-19, 07:36 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Flat******
I have a set of huge, probably 10 year old lights with big batteries that attach to the frame and stuff.

I didn't even bother testing them out before buying my new ones, lights have come so far the new stuff is so much smaller, lasts longer, has more settings, and is brighter. It's amazing how far batteries and LEDs have come in a short time.
Kinda was pining after a nice niteride with integrated battery. The only thing I dont like about my light is the external battery pack. Itd also be real nice to have a gopro style attachment since my computer mount has that built into the bottom.

Maybe soon.
Old 06-20-19, 09:39 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
^
That's what I use. K-edge makes the combo mount and an adapter that lets you mount many Niterider models.
Old 06-21-19, 08:04 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Commute today was easier. Had lights which seemed to buy me a tad bit of respect.

Left the car key fob but took the other keys, in separate bags, much less bulky, no need for a bag.

Definitely need to get a desk fan and some hangers for under the desk, I'm thinking suction might work.
Old 06-21-19, 08:08 AM
himespau 

Definitely need to get a desk fan and some hangers for under the desk, I'm thinking suction might work.
I like 3 M command hooks. They work great, stick better than suction cups, and come off without any marks left behind.
Old 06-21-19, 08:08 AM
himespau 

Commute today was easier. Had lights which seemed to buy me a tad bit of respect.

Left the car key fob but took the other keys, in separate bags, much less bulky, no need for a bag.

Haha, the censor thinks your name is a bad word when I try to quote you.
Old 06-21-19, 08:37 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Not sure if any of you use the SiS gels, but check your inbox for a discount from USAC again. Either 12 free ones with $7 shipping, or spend $15 and get free shipping.

I paired mine with another BOGO in there somewhere and ended up with 24 total for $15.

Seemed like an OK deal to me. Just FYI if that's your jam or it would be worth it.
Old 06-21-19, 03:03 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Haha, the censor thinks your name is a bad word when I try to quote you.
We're having censor "issues".

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-23-19, 07:53 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Been trying to regain some lost fitness since retiring in April. Wednesday I did a fairly fast ride with friends and about 4000 feet of climbing in 60ish miles.
That night I had terrible pain in the right leg which I assume is IT band syndrome. Never had anything like that before. A little twinge sometimes but this made it hard to walk around the house, hard to sleep. Iced it and massaged it and by Friday it was fine.

A 45 minute spin on Friday and then Saturday did 6000 feet of climbing in 65 miles and the pain was gone. Nothing, not even a little soreness. Wtf?
Does a roller help with this? Should it be a foam roller or do people use a hard roller? How about switching to an e-bike? (jk)
Old 06-23-19, 12:17 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Anybody else note the UCI track rule and schedule change? Basically a big “eff you” to the amateur team beating up on folks the way the article made it sound.

Ahh the UCI.
Old 06-23-19, 02:32 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I'd enjoyed following the huub wattbike team. A cool middle finger to the big teams.

Ah the uci messing up something I like...
Old 06-23-19, 04:48 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
There's a better explanation of the decision in the track forum.
Old 06-24-19, 10:38 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
I find the helping smaller countries argument to the track UCI rule change hollow. When I attended the World Cup in Carson, I was walking in the parking lot and my former coach pulls up in his car with two racers from Belarus who were competing and gave us a ride to the venue.

The population of Belarus is 17.5 million that is about the same as Zambia. New Zealand is less than 5 million. USA 300 million.

Who are these smaller countries - Montenegro?

The USA had two men in the World Cup. I was talking with the velodrome director and asked him what about Joe Blow in the World Cup for the USA. He said our men get killed in international competition. USA women on the other hand do well.

UCI is very political and one has to look deeper to find out who they are trying to advantage or disadvantage and what gain UCI may receive by doing so.
Old 06-24-19, 02:02 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I'd enjoyed following the huub wattbike team. A cool middle finger to the big teams.

Ah the uci messing up something I like...
On/Off topic - the UCI and USADA.

I think we need to have American cycling in the USA, yet at our top levels we adopt UCI/International rules.
I've harped on junior gears for years (affects males more).

Now - this week USA Pro women will compete. Thing is, IMO - the fastest female in the USA is not yet a "woman". She is 17. She may not race. Even though at 14 she won CA pro, won Dana Point GP $10K purse at 15. Won 17-18 last week. Podium a boys race in Europe this year.
So we have a protected class of women racing when another is excluded due only to age. It degrades the win. Whoever wins, can't say she's the fastest USA female. Just as sad as winning without drugs and nobody giving you credit as they think you doped.
This destroys the fan interest in the sport. Too many groups for me. I'll look to see who won, but I really don't care. USAC excluded the best.
Old 06-26-19, 11:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
So,

The longest, widest feathers on ravens and crows are called pinion feathers. Ravens have 7, and crows only have 6. So really, the difference between ravens and crows is just a matter of a pinion.

Last edited by TMonk; 06-26-19 at 11:38 AM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-26-19, 11:26 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Sheesh.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-26-19, 11:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Lol.

Anyway, was looking on Velonews and the headline was basically "with several major players out of the TdF, how will the race go without the competent contenders".

What's that supposed to mean? Anyone besides Froome, Dumoulin are incompetent schmucks?

Maybe I read the headline in the wrong American point of view or something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.