Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice on converting an old Miyata 310

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 09:17 PM
trob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone! About an hour ago I acquired an old (early 80's) Miyata 310 (for free from a friend!). The frame seems to be in great shape, although the chain is rusty. I haven't been able to ride it yet as the tires are too old, but I'm going to get them fixed tomorrow. It has Suntour components.

Anyway, I'll be riding it casually for errands in a flat area, so I'm considering converting this bike to a single speed/fixed gear (probably flip-flop). As an additional benefit, I won't have to worry about replacing cables and updating old parts on the bike (besides the chain).

Does anyone have any advice or know of potential issues that I might have? Perhaps someone here has done a conversion on the same model bike. I'm a newbie so anything is helpful.

I will post pictures soon (assuming people are interested).

Thanks!!
Old 08-08-07, 09:56 PM
thequickfix
fails just as quickly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have converted a miyata 512 (also free from a friend), which is probably pretty similar. It should be very easy. It's all basically standard threading and components and such, so you won't have any trouble finding any parts you want to replace.

Originally Posted by trob
I won't have to worry about replacing cables and updating old parts on the bike
Actually, you may want to replace the cables, depending upon how much wear they have. You should certainly replace the brake pads.