Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tubus racks with Surly Long Haul Trucker

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 01:55 AM
StuckInMud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After two years of dreaming about embarking on a touring trip I am now inching closer to it after recently purchasing a Surly Long Haul Trucker complete and today ordering racks. Which racks you ask? - Tubus, Tubus, Tubus!

I've ordered a Cargo and Duo combination and also a B & M permanent rear light. Ordered from the fabulous Wayne at thetouringstore@com. Terrific deal - $303.00 AUD including shipping to Australia.
To buy just the racks in Australia would cost $380.00 AUD.

As I want to install the racks myself I'm hoping for some feedback and advice in how to do this.

I would be very appreciative.
Old 09-12-07, 02:27 AM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You hope there is enough movement in the rack adjusts to get them over the holes in your bike. Normally there is whether everything lines up level is another mater. The front rack goes on the lower droupout eyelet, along with the fender strut. you need to look at the fender loop carefully since at times it can spread and loosen your rack. Either use/make a closed eyelet, or find the right size washer. Your forks have an upper eyelet that should line up with the rack upper. Instal with hard steel bolts either chromed chromo, or raw metal. Avoid stainless. Use bleu loctite to hold against vibration.

The back is normally easier use the forward eyelet, and fiddle with the rack to get the top arms the correct width and reach.
Old 09-12-07, 03:17 AM
DukeArcher 

Bikes: Thorn Nomad S+S, Trek 520 - 2007 (out on loan), and a crap Repco MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a shame you didnt check out the Vivente World Randonneur!

link: https://www.viventebikes.com//product...nt/0/t/product

It comes with all the trimmings, Tubus racks, Deore LX rear deraillleur, dynohub, stell frame AND its Aussie! I would have bought one myself, but they were only on the market a week after I bought my Trek 520. Damn! (not that im unhappy with the trek...)

But, the LHT is a god bike also.
Old 09-12-07, 05:19 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Tubus Logo on my LHT which mounted with absolutely no issues at all.
Old 09-12-07, 06:17 PM
Mchaz
Dances a jig.

Bikes: 2007 Surly Long Haul Trucker 54cm (Commuting/Wanna' go tour so bad), 1985 Trek 670 21" (Road), 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara 17" (MTB), Cannondale DeltaV 600 (commuterized MTB), some junker bikes in my garage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
Instal with hard steel bolts either chromed chromo, or raw metal. Avoid stainless.
Why avoid stainless? Have you a stainless bolt sheer when used to secure a rack? Raw/painted raw steel bolts are the worst because they will rust solid into your eyelets. Chromed bolts would work for rust protection though.
Old 09-12-07, 06:30 PM
fc_
phredite

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma Groove

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StuckInMud
After two years of dreaming about embarking on a touring trip I am now inching closer to it after recently purchasing a Surly Long Haul Trucker complete and today ordering racks. Which racks you ask? - Tubus, Tubus, Tubus!

I've ordered a Cargo and Duo combination and also a B & M permanent rear light. Ordered from the fabulous Wayne at thetouringstore@com. Terrific deal - $303.00 AUD including shipping to Australia.
To buy just the racks in Australia would cost $380.00 AUD.

As I want to install the racks myself I'm hoping for some feedback and advice in how to do this.

I would be very appreciative.
I have the cargo and duo as well on my lht (pre lht complete). No issues with the rear rack, the duos need a spacer (about 5mm if I recall correctly) on the inside of the fork allow them to fit correctly due to the width of the front fork at the rack boss.

Great racks! Don't leave home without them!
Old 09-12-07, 08:16 PM
Cave
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice gear!

Have a look at the downloadable manuals for Surly's racks, they have some hints for fitting. Not sure about documentation for Tubus.

The shop you bought the bike from might also be able to advise you.

I like greasing-and-frequently-tightening rack bolts, the other strategy is to use loctite, probably better if the racks are going to stay on the bike full-time (but still check the bolts!).
Old 09-12-07, 08:24 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
You shouldn't have any real problems attaching the Tubus racks. We have the Cargo and the Tara fitted to our Mocha tandem and they have been solid as a rock.
I did have to bend one of the stays to provide clearance for the Travel-agent on the rear V-brake but as they are aluminium, there was no problem doing this.
We use stainless steel bolts which don't rust. Mr Stainless in Drummoyne is a god place to get them from if you are in Sydney.
What panniers will you be using??

Cheers

Geoff
Old 09-12-07, 10:24 PM
StuckInMud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffs
You shouldn't have any real problems attaching the Tubus racks. We have the Cargo and the Tara fitted to our Mocha tandem and they have been solid as a rock.
I did have to bend one of the stays to provide clearance for the Travel-agent on the rear V-brake but as they are aluminium, there was no problem doing this.
We use stainless steel bolts which don't rust. Mr Stainless in Drummoyne is a god place to get them from if you are in Sydney.
What panniers will you be using??

Cheers

Geoff
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your feedback, I'm leaning towards Ortlieb panniers at the moment. Expensive but I do think they are the best option.

What do you use yourself??
Old 09-12-07, 10:26 PM
StuckInMud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DukeArcher

It comes with all the trimmings, Tubus racks, Deore LX rear deraillleur, dynohub, stell frame AND its Aussie! I would have bought one myself, but they were only on the market a week after I bought my Trek 520. Damn! (not that im unhappy with the trek...)

The Vivente is really well specced and very good value but there was no way I wanted a sloping top tube and I wanted to be part of the LHT brigade.
Old 09-13-07, 11:24 AM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DukeArcher

That looks like a great bike. A sloping TT makes perfect sense on a touring rig since most riders want their handlebars at or near the same height as their saddles.