Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fast do you cruise at on flat smooth pavement?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 04:56 PM
23109VC

Bikes: 2013 Scott Foil 30, 2008 Scott SUB 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new to cycling. I ride with my iPhone / apple watch and it tracks my speed in real time.... I recently bought a new bike...I went from a more vertical riding hybrid (fat tires) to a true road bike - aggressive aero body position, skinny tires, nice components..

I immediately noticed that with similar effort I could maintain higher speeds. what used to be "hard" to do on my old bike, is just "cruising' on the new bike.... technology is great.. my old bike was 10 years old and the new one is a nicer carbon fiber bike...

now if I really get pedaling hard on nice flat pavement I am able to hold much higher speeds..i'm wondering how fast the average cycling goes and by comparison, how fast are the "pros" going.. i'm sure they would smoke a guy like me...

If I am just cruising at a slower pace, I'm going 14-15 mph
if I am bent over / aero and going at a modest pace, i'm at like 16-17... maintaining 18-19 ins't too hard either.
if I really get going and put my effort up to what is "fast" and something that I can maintain for a bit but NOT for extended periods.. I'm going like 22-24mph.... I think I've hit as high as 25mph when i'm going all out.

on a downhill - where I feel like i'm going as fast as the bike will physically go, I think i'm going maybe 35? mayb ethat is about as fast as these bikes will go? not that I need to go faster..falling off at 35 I think i'd break a whole bunch of bones and be covered in road rash.....

anyway.. I just wondered what was considered a pretty good pace.

I also can imagine that on a longer ride you keep overall speeds a bit lower? to conserve energy? thel ongest I've gone is 40 miles... I would think if I was going to go for a century ride, I might opt to skip the 20+ mph sprints and stick to 15mph or less and go for conserving energy?

on a short 20 mile ride it's not a big deal to mix in some high intensity sprints...
Old 11-27-16, 05:04 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It depends if we're talking real life speed or internet speed. Everyone is faster on the net. Kinda like bench pressing.
Old 11-27-16, 05:06 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,517 Times in 2,859 Posts
Laden, or unladen?
Old 11-27-16, 05:10 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
400 watts.
Old 11-27-16, 05:12 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,517 Times in 2,859 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC
on a downhill - where I feel like i'm going as fast as the bike will physically go, I think i'm going maybe 35? mayb e that is about as fast as these bikes will go? not that I need to go faster..falling off at 35 I think i'd break a whole bunch of bones and be covered in road rash.....
Jump to 11:30
Old 11-27-16, 05:22 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I cruise right at 20 kmph. I'm 64 years old.

Old 11-27-16, 05:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
I don't believe in comparing speed to others. Unless you're racing, you only competition is yourself.

So, do a ride of some distance, make a note of the time, then beat it next time around. So you don't get bored, have a selection of a few "benchmark" rides and mix it up a bit.

I live in an area of rolling terrain with a nice selection of hills longer than half a mile and/or 500' of rise. I've timed some of these, and use them as benchmarks to see if I'm climbing better or not.

BTW - if you focus on beating yourself, you'll soon enough find yourself beating others.

Anyway, and FWIW, since you asked, I'm collecting social security and still bop along at a comfortable 17-18mph, with 15mph or so my average start to finish average on rides of 30 miles or longer.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-27-16 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-27-16, 05:47 PM
IMontoya

Bikes: '16 Fuji Tread 1.7, '96 Cannondale R400, '88 Miyata 112

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cruise about the same speeds. I use Strava to track my progress. There are some really fast riders in my town, and i try to keep up. I suspect we will look back on this post a year from now and realize how slow we are today.

I started cycling five months ago on an entry-level CX bike. I keep getting faster, alough the gains are getting smaller and harder earned.
Old 11-27-16, 06:56 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Only as fast as I want to go, and not one teeny bit faster.
Old 11-27-16, 07:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It depends.
Old 11-27-16, 07:19 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I have no extended flat land here that I am aware of, unless it is for a mile max. If I had 10 flat miles, I really would not know what my speed would be. I'm either going up or down, to some degree. On the flat sections I am aware of, I can maintain 20-22. Downhills- 30-45, unless I really go all out to hit 50. Uphills- embarrassingly slow.
Old 11-27-16, 07:54 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I'm new to cycling. I ride with my iPhone / apple watch and it tracks my speed in real time.... I recently bought a new bike...I went from a more vertical riding hybrid (fat tires) to a true road bike - aggressive aero body position, skinny tires, nice components..

I immediately noticed that with similar effort I could maintain higher speeds. what used to be "hard" to do on my old bike, is just "cruising' on the new bike.... technology is great.. my old bike was 10 years old and the new one is a nicer carbon fiber bike...

now if I really get pedaling hard on nice flat pavement I am able to hold much higher speeds..i'm wondering how fast the average cycling goes and by comparison, how fast are the "pros" going.. i'm sure they would smoke a guy like me...

If I am just cruising at a slower pace, I'm going 14-15 mph
if I am bent over / aero and going at a modest pace, i'm at like 16-17... maintaining 18-19 ins't too hard either.
if I really get going and put my effort up to what is "fast" and something that I can maintain for a bit but NOT for extended periods.. I'm going like 22-24mph.... I think I've hit as high as 25mph when i'm going all out.

on a downhill - where I feel like i'm going as fast as the bike will physically go, I think i'm going maybe 35? mayb ethat is about as fast as these bikes will go? not that I need to go faster..falling off at 35 I think i'd break a whole bunch of bones and be covered in road rash.....

anyway.. I just wondered what was considered a pretty good pace.

I also can imagine that on a longer ride you keep overall speeds a bit lower? to conserve energy? thel ongest I've gone is 40 miles... I would think if I was going to go for a century ride, I might opt to skip the 20+ mph sprints and stick to 15mph or less and go for conserving energy?

on a short 20 mile ride it's not a big deal to mix in some high intensity sprints...
Seems a fair question but you will find no satisfaction on this forum. The bicycle forums world is terribly unfriendly. And a certain, odd delight at answering without answering, especially anything regarding speeds.

Nowadays, on flat ground, little or no wind (rare), I typically cruise at 16 MPH on my steel, fendered Surly Cross Check running on Michelin 32mm Pilot tires. By "cruise" I mean a speed that I can sustain for an extended time without tiring or going anaerobic. A more gentlemanly speed might be more like 14 MPH and when the local snooty, road weenies show up I might make briefly 20 MPH before I decide they are not worth pursuing.

When I was younger I could do 25 miles in under an hour on my steel Pinarello on Specialized original issue Turbos in 21mm (I think they were 21mm). At 25 MPH, I would not have then considered that cruising, as it was intense effort.
Old 11-27-16, 08:42 PM
Waxbytes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If I ever find some flat smooth pavement I'll let you know.
Old 11-27-16, 08:43 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,989 Times in 1,777 Posts
Well I can only speak for myself. Anything in the 16-17 mph means I'm taking it easy, sick, or having an issue with a bike. 18-19 mph is what i average on most of my daily rides of 23-30 miles. But I can hold this pace for up to a century with no problem. My base 23-30 mile route will have around 350 to 500 feet of climbing but nothing major. I ride all steel bikes weighing from 19 to 24 lbs but pretty much all are shod with the same Conti GP4000s 700 x 25c tires. Mostly I ride on the hoods. I'm over 50 and riding at around 5000 ft above sea level. Oh and I suck at climbing although I do a fair amount of it. Descending I go as fast as I can, usually limited by wind conditions and how aero I can get. Top speed this year on a descent was 55.2 mph. Oh and i have one section of my usual route where I'll kick up the speed into the 25-27 mph range and then hold it as best I can for around a mile. All out sprint can be more. Now where I live I usually pass the other cyclists but sometimes someone shows up I can't keep up with. Ran in the 23-25 mph range about 2 weeks ago on the Bob Jackson for 4 miles and just kept dropping farther and farther behind the guy I was trying to catch.

Then for more useless data, I'll add in this. I ride outside year round in all weather to include the harsh winters here in northern Utah. I've done 7560 miles so far this year and my average pace during all those miles is only 17.15 mph. If it matters, I ride solo, so no drafting. The times are all mine, whether they are fast or slow.

Last edited by jamesdak; 11-28-16 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-27-16, 09:00 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
The bicycle forums world is terribly unfriendly...

...when the local snooty, road weenies show up...
you proved your own point.
Old 11-27-16, 10:22 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by FullGas
you proved your own point.
At least I answered his question. You only were a smart axx. And you have no sense of humor thus reinforcing exactly what I said. GBIOYR.

Back on topic, my speeds are for a 62 yo, in my twenties and thirties they were substantially quicker.

J
Old 11-27-16, 11:34 PM
mgvh

Bikes: 2005 Trek Navigator 100, 2016 Trek FX 7.3

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Laden, or unladen?
Depends if you are in Europe or Africa.
Old 11-27-16, 11:57 PM
IMontoya

Bikes: '16 Fuji Tread 1.7, '96 Cannondale R400, '88 Miyata 112

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Laden, or unladen?
Originally Posted by mgvh
Well done.
Old 11-28-16, 12:17 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It depends on who I'm riding with. By myself, 20-22. On the weekly group ride, 28-30.
Old 11-28-16, 12:30 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Checking my cycling apps over the past six months (I'm not counting the first six since resuming cycling because I was in such bad physical shape), and comparing the same routes, both hilly and flat:

On my 35 lb comfort hybrid with suspension fork, padded springy saddle and heavy puncture proof tires -- about 12 mph.

On my more recently added sub-30 lb rigid fork mountain bike -- about 14 mph.

Good enough for me. I might try a road bike next year if my neck can handle the drop bars. Usually I prefer a more upright position, with the bars an inch or two above saddle height. So I'm giving up some wind efficiency for a riding position I prefer.
Old 11-28-16, 01:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
i'm wondering ... how fast are the "pros" going.. i'm sure they would smoke a guy like me...
Follow the Tour Down Under when it comes on in January. Then you'll know.
Santos Tour Down Under - Santos Tour Down Under

Your bicycle should be able to go faster than 56 km/h.

I also can imagine that on a longer ride you keep overall speeds a bit lower? to conserve energy? thel ongest I've gone is 40 miles... I would think if I was going to go for a century ride, I might opt to ... stick to 15mph or less and go for conserving energy?
Yes. Especially for your first.
Old 11-28-16, 05:52 AM
Gweedo1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgvh
And how you grab.
Old 11-28-16, 06:09 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have a 1 mi. Strava segment that is flat and my best speed is 24.1 mph. If I had to sustain a speed over several flat miles (really not available anywhere I know) I'm guessing I'd be around 20 mph assuming no wind. I'm 70 yrs. old.
Old 11-28-16, 07:24 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Well, yesterday on the way to church I was on flat ground . . . riding into a 40mph headwind. . .

Ok, under normal conditions: on my utility bike without assist about 12-14 mph, my utility bike with assist, 17-18mph, on my recumbent about 17-18, on my trike about 17-20.
Old 11-28-16, 07:36 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's really hard to say unless you do a time trial or something. Just looking down at the speedometer now and again is deceptive. There's always a small grade, some wind, or it's faster or slower than I could keep up for longer. For what it's worth though, when I'm out riding with a smattering of lights (not one every block), the "cruising speed" I see in glances is 1.5 to 2 mph faster than the overall speed of the trip. That's also dependent on a lot of variables, but it's surprising how many different people say the same thing so it's a pretty general rule of thumb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.