Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What in addition to cycling are you doing for your overall health and well being.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What in addition to cycling are you doing for your overall health and well being.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 04:35 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What in addition to cycling are you doing for your overall health and well being?

The big picture here as we age is overall health and wellness. Cycling is just one physical activity that can help a person with cardio and leg strengthening. I can also see some benefits in the area of having a hobby, working with hands to fix-up bikes, social community aspect, participating in riding events etc.

What does a balanced picture of overall health look like to you at this point to you? What does it include? I am trying to develop a healthy routine that works for me. I have had some success in the past, but also have had my share of struggles with this. I have a pretty good idea of what I think will work for me, but am doing just basics with diet exercise, personal well being stuff. Anybody want to share whats working for them in this dept? or where they would like to improve on in certain areas?

Last edited by WolfRyder; 02-17-17 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 05:04 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Well, I've been a vegetarian for over 40 years now, avoiding processed foods, etc. And at age 61, I am normal weight (5'8", 152#), have no chronic health problems besides some arthritis in my hands and spine, and no prescription medications. I must be doing something right.
Old 02-17-17, 05:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I go to the gym every week day during my lunch break. I vary what I do. my time is limited to about 20 minutes of actual workout due to a short drive to & from the office, showering & changing. I also try to go for a longer time after work. some weeks it's as much as 5 nights, lately I'm lucky if I get back at night once a week. so I do cycling, stationary cycling, weight training, & running on a treadmill. I used to swim & play racquetball. about 10 yrs ago I started doing more & just cranked it up a notch when I cud. about 7 yrs ago I suffered an emotional trauma & everything fell apart. been piecing it back together ever since. right now anything more than nothing is cake. I'd love to be more consistent with my night training, add more weekend miles, get a new job I cud bike commute to, join a pool to start swimming again, stuff like that
Old 02-17-17, 05:15 PM
chopsteeks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Play golf each weekend for 18 holes, sneak a couple of 9's during the weekday walking each time while carrying my own bag.
Old 02-17-17, 05:53 PM
CadenceCrazy

Bikes: Nashbar CR5 Ultegra, Trek 2300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Once a week we have some meat on a pizza to keep me placated. Otherwise, veggies and tofu. During winter, I usually do 4-5 90 minute bike trainer sessions weekly and 4 90 minute Bowflex circuits. Presently, my weight is basically stagnant but the body fat is decreasing and the jerseys are getting a little more snug in the chest. In the summer, I usually limit the weight training but end up losing weight and power. This riding season, I plan on continuing the Bowflex to see if I can keep the power.
Old 02-17-17, 06:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Nothing special.

The truth is that I don't cycle for my health either.

I cycle to cycle, and whatever it's doing for my health is a lagniappe. By the same token, I'm lucky that I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and so tend to eat reasonably healthy because I like those foods. The rest I trust to my genes.

One nice thing about being active is that it burns fuel, so I can have a pizza, or ice cream as often as I want without undue consequences. On the flip side, I don't want pizza or ice cream every day anyway.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-17-17, 06:21 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Walk, lift some small weights, eat well, play music, read, try to make more money without going nuts doing it.
Old 02-17-17, 06:54 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
I am very active with outdoor sports, go to the gym regularly, eat very well (including small portions of meat - mostly chicken or fish). My weight to height ratio is spot-on.

However, I enjoy a couple of drinks most evenings and I am not socially involved as much as I think I should be for ideal overall 'health'.
Old 02-17-17, 07:10 PM
MidasTouch

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
salads and scotch only diet.

well, cognac as well..... can't be perfect all the time!
Old 02-17-17, 07:15 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Nothing special.

The truth is that I don't cycle for my health either.
^^^This
Old 02-17-17, 07:40 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by WolfRyder
I am trying to develop a healthy routine that works for me. I have had some success in the past, but also have had my share of struggles with this.
The secret to success is to find something you truly enjoy, so instead of being a chore you must do, it's something you can't wait to do.

Cycling is obviously one of those things for everyone here, but by itself it's not enough for ultimate health and body shape.

For me, it's martial arts. I was almost 30 when I started, but I've been training regularly for about 26 years now. Definitely a full body workout, even the mind. And being with a group means you're forced to push yourself harder than most would on their own. Training and sparring with younger men (and women!) tends to help keep you young too.

I also do some body & free weight exercises along with some yoga/stretching in my home studio on my own, and regular neighborhood walks with my wife. Occasional jogs too.

But apparently this is not enough. Even though no one else can see it, (yet!) I can tell I'm starting to get a belly... and I'm not getting any more flexible.

I've been vegi (lacto-ovo) for 26 years now, but I give in to cravings for junk food like chips regularly. Since I've been thin my entire life, and actually spent my earlier years TRYING to gain weight, I really have no self control when it comes to food. I guess that's gonna have to change.
Old 02-17-17, 07:44 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I like to integrate activity into my daily routine. I walk and take stairs preferentially. I row regularly, usually on my Waterrower, but also on the water when I can. I'm an indecisive gardener as well, which means that I move dirt from one pile to another, and then back again.
Old 02-17-17, 07:48 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I like to integrate activity into my daily routine. I walk and take stairs preferentially. I row regularly, usually on my Waterrower, but also on the water when I can. I'm an indecisive gardener as well, which means that I move dirt from one pile to another, and then back again.
Great point, Moe! This is why I refuse to get a riding lawn mower or snow blower. My plan is to do these things manually for as long as I can! My push mower is gas powered, but does not have motor driven wheels. Takes me about an hour to push the entire lawn.
Old 02-17-17, 08:22 PM
WolfRyder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have cut back on sweets, still like my chips and beer. Red wine isn't bad for you in limited amounts. Never have had a problem with eating enough veggies. I do Chinese style stir fry a lot. salads more in summer. Hoping to get on a smoothie routine. I can see benefits of Vegetarian diet, I like to go two days a week Veggie as is. Thinking about transitioning the vegetarian diet. (Processed foods are bad whatever diet you are on.) if I did go full vegetarian, I would monitor my B12 and Iron levels more closely and supplement if needed.

I don't do weights much, I prefer sit-ups, push-ups pull-ups and stretching Yoga , core work. Swimming might be good. I am getting older so was thinking about a Tai Chi and Chi Gung. (wish I did more Martial arts when I was younger.) I know starting a meditation practice would be beneficial.

Feel like I need to be around nature more , so hope to start doing some hiking. Putting my hands in some dirt and planting some stuff sounds good. Less screen time! maybe guitar and drawing are in order also for overall well-being

Last edited by WolfRyder; 03-11-17 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 09:21 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Not smoking is one thing I do. 41 years since my last cigarette - roughly three pack years prior to that. Every once in a while the thought pops into my small head that it would be pleasant to smoke one but, nope, that ain't gonna happen!

Haven't biked to work since late November and am trying to not use elevators there to go up 1-3 flights. Usual total about 6-8 flights 5 days a week. Don't care much about stair climbing once I start to ride to work more and put on more general miles. (Spring - Fall)
Old 02-17-17, 09:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Trail run.
Old 02-17-17, 11:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Love, sex, plenty of sleep, nap after lunch. Lots of social stuff: folks over for dinner, going out to theater with friends, religious community, sauna parties. Wife and I have had gym memberships since 1979 and usually work out together once or twice a week. Outdoor stuff: cycling, skiing, hiking, walking, backpacking trips, all with my wife except for skiing. Almost all outdoor rides are on the tandem with my wife. Whole foods organic plant-based diet tending toward the Mediterranean model with emphasis on small portions, supplemented with whey protein. It's all synergistic and dust in the mouth without the first 3 items.
Old 02-18-17, 09:07 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Cycling is the primary activity for physical fitness. As the need arises, I cut, split, and stack my own firewood. In the Spring/Summer, I'll go out and pick wild berries.

I load my own ammunition, mostly for pistols and revolvers, and enjoy a trip to the range every now and then. This is a good technical outlet and requires attention to detail and safety. A trip to the range is almost as cathartic as a good ride.

I sing in two different choirs, one mixed and one men only. I enjoy good music. For me, singing provides a sense of well-being.
Old 02-18-17, 10:04 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Yoga off and on for many years. Past year started exploring here https://www.******.com/r/bodyweightfitness/ and following the beginner routine they've titled Recommended Routine. I stumbled on to a nice outdoor gym well suited for it in my area. Also exploring some close to the ground parkour type stuff. I like jumping and climbing, but not much in the way of real climbing around here without going to specialized gym. I've never liked 'working out' until I started doing it outside, even in winter. Between sets of push ups and rows it's invigorating to just lay on the ground in brisk cold looking up at the winter night sky.
Old 02-18-17, 10:15 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
Cycling is the primary activity for physical fitness. As the need arises, I cut, split, and stack my own firewood. In the Spring/Summer, I'll go out and pick wild berries.

I load my own ammunition, mostly for pistols and revolvers, and enjoy a trip to the range every now and then. This is a good technical outlet and requires attention to detail and safety. A trip to the range is almost as cathartic as a good ride.
I enjoy group therapy...especially the sub half-minute with my own handloads and favorite rifle.

Cycling is my passion in the exercise world. Racing someday is on the horizon.
Old 02-18-17, 03:33 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 486 Posts
Epsom salt baths, pretty hot...balancing effects of cold weather and general detoxification.

Colon/liver cleanse...detoxification and weight management

Aromatherapy...relieving winter depression

Turmeric and Black Pepper...adrenal restoration

Diet: cutting carbs...weight management

Last edited by 1989Pre; 02-18-17 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 04:57 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Boot camp workout 3x week, which is a mix of cardio, strength and core. 2 hours of strength training a week, plus doing 1.5 to 3 hours of swimming a week. Been struggling with weight and nutrition but it finally seems to be sinking in.
Old 02-18-17, 05:23 PM
WolfRyder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone else mentioned sleep, they call sleep "the great equalizer". Everyone needs a good nights rest. I have been trying to get all my fluids in earlier during the day and not eat too late. Otherwise I get up and go too much during the night(beer in evening doesn't help with that either), and it interrupts my sleep. Had my Prostate checked and I don't have Diabetes.

I also noticed that if I write the things down I have to do the night before, less stuff is on my mind. Everyone wants to take on the day with good energy, but your only as good as your last nite's sleep.

Last edited by WolfRyder; 02-18-17 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 05:47 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by chopsteeks
Play golf each weekend for 18 holes, sneak a couple of 9's during the weekday walking each time while carrying my own bag.
That pretty well describes me.

I avoid most fast food, but only because I don't like it. And I cook mainly with olive oil.
Old 02-18-17, 05:58 PM
nashvillebill

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I now hit the gym about three times a week (I always have at least one day off between workouts) for my abs and upper body. I'll never be Mr. Olympian but after about a year and a half, there's a little bit of muscle there! It's at the national fitness chain that has the $10/month basic membership.

I have gotten into several hiking groups, partly for the exercise, partly for the scenery, and partly to keep social skills up. Since I'm a widower, finding female companionship is a struggle (I'm just not into overweight seniors). I now wind up hiking more than biking, at least for now.

I also watch over my grandson a few times every week. Although sometimes it's a pain, overall that is good for me--gives me a chance to be of service to others, and also my daughter always sends leftovers home with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.